Newest Members
0128, jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2, DaiseyLady
12502 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
fakir (71), HelpMeHelpHim32 (41), motherstars (65)
Who's Online
2 registered (traveler, 1 invisible), 16 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12502 Members
74 Forums
64189 Topics
447924 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#74745 - 03/26/05 03:14 AM "Daughters" by John Mayer (sp?)
willtobecomplete Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: IL
To me the song was all about SA and the multigenerational effects, nonrtheless a beautiful song with a beautiful message, if only people would apply it.

#74746 - 04/01/05 12:20 AM Re: "Daughters" by John Mayer (sp?)
lostone Offline

So true, I was listening to it with my best friend and she started crying. I held her as we listened to it, it was very....deep for the both of us.

#74747 - 06/15/05 12:55 AM Re: "Daughters" by John Mayer (sp?)
tallmrb Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Washington DC
The song "Daughters" by John Mayer does impart wonderful and tender sentiments regarding how parents should treat their daughters. And yet, I was incensed when Mayer won the Grammy for Song of the Year, and whenever I hear this song on the radio it angers me. Why? It's what the artist has to say about boys in the solitary stanza of the song concerning them:

"Boys, you can break
You'll find out how much they can take
Boys will be strong
And boys soldier on
But boys would be gone without the warmth from
A womans good, good heart"

While it may be true that boys are strong and that the vast majority 'soldier on', the question is at what cost?! And what of the boys who are not able to 'soldier on'?

To me, Mayer's suggestion that "Boys you can break" is patently offensive. Trying to discern some hidden motive behind that phrase, I can't help but wonder if the artist himself was abused as a boy and yet is in denial as an adult.

"Boys you can break" - indeed! But in no way, shape, or form is such an action ever acceptable and most assuredly should never be encouraged, via pop music or otherwise!

#74748 - 06/15/05 05:19 PM Re: "Daughters" by John Mayer (sp?)
ForeverFighting Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Mexico, USA
What an interesting way of looking at that song, mrb. I hadn't even thought about that part. Of course, the writer may have been being slightly sarcastic about what is expected of boys. It wouldn't be the first time Mayer has written like that.

There's so little out there about the abuse of boys, I think most of us relate to the song from the daughter's perspective. I'm also married to a woman who was abused by her father, so the song has even more meaning for me.

"This search for the truth--it's not for the faint of heart."--Goren on 'Law & Order: CI'
"The former things will not be called to mind, neither will they come up into the heart."--Isaiah 65:17

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.