Newest Members
cricket1007, Nickie98, jahfree, Daryl X., tryintothrive
12496 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
joeybird (54), ladyinwaiting (46), txpearl (46)
Who's Online
7 registered (iaccus, Bluedogone, woodenshoes, 3 invisible), 22 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12496 Members
74 Forums
64168 Topics
447779 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#74682 - 08/27/01 11:48 PM underground metal and hardcore punk
jwh Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: dallas, tx
Does anyone else out there listen to, or at least grow up listening to, bands like Slayer, The Misfits, Death, Deicide, Napalm Death, Verbal Abuse, Mayhem, Negative Approach, Minor Threat and the list goes on? I'm just mentioning this really raging, furious music because it has helped me to survive and I'm interested if it has helped anyone else.

Jeff

#74683 - 09/02/01 04:02 PM Re: underground metal and hardcore punk
Just Call me J Offline

Loc: Inland Empire, California
One of my best friends listens to it (now he's getting into industrial/goth), so I'm aware of most of those bands, but I don't listen to them personally (though I recieved Megadeth's "Cryptic Writings" for my birthday last year).

I "grew up" on the pop music of the 80s, until I reached jr. high school, and sought out "modern rock" like Depeche Mode, The Cure, and U2.

My tastes have fallen towards Oingo Boingo (some great songs about social isolation in being "weird"), Tori Amos (didn't realize when I got into her that I would connect for the same reasons most girls did... due to sexual assault), Alice in Chains, Sarah McLachlan. I tend to lean toward a melodic form of music, though there are times I like the hard crunching visceral feel of cacophonous noise. Rob Zombie's "Hellbilly Deluxe" wore out my throat when I was pissed off a few times. NIN's "Downward Spiral" was simply a "cool album" till I got my heart broke, and I suddenly understood every word Trent was singing.

I've always had an affinity for punk, in the form of The Ramones, Bad Religion, Social Distortion, Violent Femmes (if that fits in the "punk" category). I like intelligent, political stuff. Most music I like, as a rule, defies category, though.

Since I've been listening to Social Distortion songs I've gleaned from Napster, that's been on my mind. The ones I like the best (and seem so mature, that they must be from their most recent albums) are "When the Angels Sing," "I Was Wrong", "Gotta Know the Rules" and "Don't Drag Me Down."

I'll post the lyrics here (as best as I can make them out) when I have more time.

Jeremy
We're in this together.

[ September 02, 2001: Message edited by: Just Call me J ]

#74684 - 09/03/01 07:56 AM Re: underground metal and hardcore punk
blacken Offline
Chatroom Moderator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Northern Ohio
jwh, Thanks for ur post.
It depends on my mood. If I am Feeling Down, I tend to listen to the hardest, fastest, pounding Industrial I can find, Or other music with a driving beat. I have a pair of 12 inch woofers & two 300 watt amps in my car. I like to "feel" the music. I like it when I can feel my in-sides shake. Probablly not so healthy, but too damn bad.
Sometimes it helps me get angry, and I can let out my feelings, & nobody will know, Great. It helps me cry, screem, curse, and no-one will hear me, not even myself, Perfect.
Other times, I feel like I absorb the raw power, & it pumps me up. Elevates my mood, makes me to be Assertive, (instead of aggressive), and helps me to organize my thoughts.
So ya, i guess it does help me to survive.
BL

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.