Newest Members
JayNL, Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy
12279 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
melnjams (42), rage (27)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12279 Members
73 Forums
63189 Topics
441846 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#74624 - 02/23/01 08:06 PM a few songs that express what i feel
Ian_Macrae Offline

Loc: christiansburg,va,usa
sometimes i need music to escape my feelings, for that i like just about anything celtic (scottish and irish primarly)
one the other hand there are some songs ive run across that seem to really hit close to home and express my feelings. as if the song could carry my emotions to heaven.
at times these songs would trigger these feelings. now later in my healing its a positive expression rather than a harsh reminder.
so beware of your own mood...
I cant say enough about the band "days of the new"
awesome musically, deep lyerically and very intense.
"touch peel and stand"
"rough day"
"enemy"
and more...
one song in particular for me and much of his latest lp. Carlos Santana "leave your lights on"
Did anyone catch his interview on 60 min. It was powerful. could have been me and my wife talking. I cried, not out of sadness but pride. It took alot of guts for him to on national television. it took more guts to face it and heal. he did alot for our cause and im sure reached alot of men who I hope found hope.
This one really gets to me "father of mine" by Everclear. My father wasnt my sexaul abuser but that song hits very close to home.

I love bagpipes. when im down or i need something to help me build strength or emotional fortitude. I put on some good pipe tunes. Highlnd bagpipes or "warpipes". maybe its the scottish blood of ancestral memory but the hum of drones ans skrill of a fast tune gets my spine tingling and blood boiling.
I highly recomend The Battlefield Band the earlier albums (yes i remember vinyl, and sill own some lol).
Clandestine is a young american band also very good piper. I was privaleged to hear Clandestine's piper and two other young pipers live at a highland games event. nothing beats experiencing pipes live and outdoors (preferrably in the montians...with a little mist...)

I think music is good medicine. uplifting when your down and ameans of expression as well.
peace. Matt G
peace

#74625 - 02/24/01 04:09 PM Re: a few songs that express what i feel
farscape513 Offline

Loc: Tampabay
Ian, I am also of scottish/irish ancestery and love the music you mentioned. Strangely enough, I wasn't raised with that kind of music in the house. Must be a "racial memory" or something. I have several of the ones you mentioned and play them when I am feeling really down. It helps alot. Thanks for reminding me about how important music can be to healing.
Quote:
Originally posted by Ian_Macrae:
sometimes i need music to escape my feelings, for that i like just about anything celtic (scottish and irish primarly)
one the other hand there are some songs ive run across that seem to really hit close to home and express my feelings. as if the song could carry my emotions to heaven.
at times these songs would trigger these feelings. now later in my healing its a positive expression rather than a harsh reminder.
so beware of your own mood...
I cant say enough about the band "days of the new"
awesome musically, deep lyerically and very intense.
"touch peel and stand"
"rough day"
"enemy"
and more...
one song in particular for me and much of his latest lp. Carlos Santana "leave your lights on"
Did anyone catch his interview on 60 min. It was powerful. could have been me and my wife talking. I cried, not out of sadness but pride. It took alot of guts for him to on national television. it took more guts to face it and heal. he did alot for our cause and im sure reached alot of men who I hope found hope.
This one really gets to me "father of mine" by Everclear. My father wasnt my sexaul abuser but that song hits very close to home.

I love bagpipes. when im down or i need something to help me build strength or emotional fortitude. I put on some good pipe tunes. Highlnd bagpipes or "warpipes". maybe its the scottish blood of ancestral memory but the hum of drones ans skrill of a fast tune gets my spine tingling and blood boiling.
I highly recomend The Battlefield Band the earlier albums (yes i remember vinyl, and sill own some lol).
Clandestine is a young american band also very good piper. I was privaleged to hear Clandestine's piper and two other young pipers live at a highland games event. nothing beats experiencing pipes live and outdoors (preferrably in the montians...with a little mist...)

I think music is good medicine. uplifting when your down and ameans of expression as well.
peace. Matt G
peace

#74626 - 03/07/01 06:02 PM Re: a few songs that express what i feel
Ian_Macrae Offline

Loc: christiansburg,va,usa
I wasnt raised on celtic music, i wish i had been. as a kid i took flute lessons and was in the band was picked on alot for playing a "girls" instrument-never mind that some of the top flute players in the world are men ie Matt molloy of the cheiftans, michael Mcgoldrick (sp?) a protege of matt molloy. just to name two... ever herd "the masons apron" from "an irish evening with the cheiftans". its actually a scottish bagpipe tune the "kids" at grandfather mountian highland games played it in 3 part harmony , truely awesome.
but if i had discovered celtic music earlier perhaps I would have stuck with playing.
Ive been wanting to take up learning to play pipes for a few years now (neighbors beware lol).
peace,
Matt G

#74627 - 03/11/01 11:44 PM Re: a few songs that express what i feel
michael Joseph Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Virginia
I love music, and started to study music therapy years ago. Music is one of the only things that helped me cope with the abuse and neglect of my childhood.

I agree with all of the above. I'm Irish
Music can do wonders.

The Round Table, Men's CSA Group, Monday 7:30pm CST, MaleSurvivor Chat

#74628 - 04/08/01 09:04 AM Re: a few songs that express what i feel
RJD Offline

Loc: jefferson City, Mo,usa
I did see the Santana interview on television. I was stunned at his candor and his dignity. I felt the warmth of validation and acceptance when he did that. I admire the work he has done. He is such an icon and he did tons for the recovery movement. There are so few men that come forth publicly. I know Tom Arnold touched on his experience during an interview, and in another interview so did a hocky player whose name is Kennedy.

#74629 - 04/08/01 09:05 AM Re: a few songs that express what i feel
RJD Offline

[This message has been edited by RJD (edited 04-08-2001).]

#74630 - 04/08/01 09:11 AM Re: a few songs that express what i feel
RJD Offline

[This message has been edited by RJD (edited 04-08-2001).]

#354740 - 02/24/11 07:47 PM Re: a few songs that express what i feel [Re: RJD]
michael Joseph Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Virginia
Originally Posted By: RJD
I did see the Santana interview on television. I was stunned at his candor and his dignity. I felt the warmth of validation and acceptance when he did that. I admire the work he has done. He is such an icon and he did tons for the recovery movement. There are so few men that come forth publicly. I know Tom Arnold touched on his experience during an interview, and in another interview so did a hocky player whose name is Kennedy.

The Round Table, Men's CSA Group, Monday 7:30pm CST, MaleSurvivor Chat

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.