Great to see the discussions going on here. I wanted to talk a bit about some books dealing with beliefs. Anthony Robbins conveys techniques in Unlimited Power that help me to understand how my passed traumatic experiences tend to be linked to beliefs which might limit me. He, in fact, argues strongly against recall and dwelling on these memories.
While I agree with the notion that I want to overcome and succeed without needing to dwell excessively on these memories, I find the urge to succeed at all costs and to basically manhandle the memories distasteful. John Bradshaw advocates the cathartic process of feeling the feelings in Homecoming, and his own decision against aggressively reorienting traumatic experiences.
In assessing Anthony Robbins, I can't help but admire the success he has demonstrated in helping high-achieving individuals of all kinds, from Olympic athletes to CEO's. I recognize the value of the techniques that he draws upon, and much about his understanding of the human mind and motivation. However, I also have had the opportunity to buy a video in which he interviews a finance industry advisor, who promoted an outlandish notion. Anthony Robbins accepted the idea uncritically. He was clearly not making an important distinction between reality and possibility.
I recognize that my memories and lessons in self-development leave no reason to deny or ignore the past, even if I am gravitating to empowering beliefs. My sense is that I can fit my past into new, inspiring perspectives.
Louise Hay addresses this type of perspective with recognition of the immense abundance and availability of resources to heal and succeed in You Can Heal Your Life. She talks about how healing it is to use affirmations, like "I am willing to release negative patterns in my consciousness that are making me unhealthy." John Bradshaw touches on the technique in his work, with affirmations for the inner child in Homecoming, like "Welcome to the world, little guy" or in Healing the Shame that Binds you, he's got some other good ones. Dr. Joseph Murphy in The Power of Your Subconcious Mind and Ernest Holmes in The Science of Mind go further in recognizing the greater potentials for success in their works.