Newest Members
susanhepp, Breathe, georgetwo, frozen45, lilac
12291 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Guillermo (37), illbedat (26), Mike58 (56), Mnovit (38), Mongo (24), pwdasw (64), Raymond Sean (38), yesac76 (38)
Who's Online
2 registered (Robert Barrett, 1 invisible), 29 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12291 Members
73 Forums
63238 Topics
442213 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#74610 - 08/26/03 08:07 PM Website slammed for boy sex book
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
Website slammed for boy sex book

Child protection groups today slammed a book being sold on a popular website for claiming paedophiles are not “monsters” but “loving human beings”.
Amazon.com is offering customers the paperback Understanding Loved Boys and Boylovers by David L Riegel for about £6.
But the NSPCC, which aims to protect vulnerable youngsters, condemned the material as “unacceptable”
Liz Atkins, head of policy for the charity, said: “The NSPCC views any book which represents sexual relationships between adults and children as com­pletely wrong. Sexual rela­tionship between an adult and a child must never be viewed positively.”
Publishers SafeHaven Foundation Press state the book is aimed at researchers and educators.
But child molesters have posted reviews of the work on the Amazon site, with one man declaring: “As a boylover, I found this book extremely helpful.”
Ms Atkins added: “Sexu­ally abused children suffer immense trauma.”
Riegel, whose book aims to explore whether a legiti­mate sexual relationship can take place between an adult male and an underage boy, describes molesters as “sin­cere, concerned, loving human beings”.
The 108 page book cannot be bought through the UK site Amazon.co.uk

Shropshire Star. Aug 25 2003

#74611 - 09/22/03 12:15 AM Re: Website slammed for boy sex book
The Dean Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Milwaukee, WI
Amazon will tell us that this is a First Amendment right. They will probably also say that they do not endorse all that is written in all the books they sell.

Buying through Barnes and Nobles is possible I would think. But, I have seen some ads for very sleazy books in their catalogues.

I think we should make a very strong statement of concern about them selling a book that promotes an activity that is a felony everywhere in the USA. Are they them complicite?

Bob

#74612 - 09/22/03 06:41 PM Re: Website slammed for boy sex book
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
Bob
you're right, we can't curtail the freedom of speech, and therefore the distribution I suppose.

And if we boycott everything we disagree with we'd starve, wear rags and drive nowhere !

Dave

#74613 - 09/22/03 06:44 PM Re: Website slammed for boy sex book
Sick Puppy Offline

Loc: Nowhere Land
While I personally find such a book disgusting, I certainly don't think the website should be made to stop selling it. I do not believe in censorship and I am becoming increasingly fed up with how "PC" the world is becoming... and how many otherwise respectful people will call for the eradication of something just because they don't like it. \:\(

But for now we are young
Let us lay in the sun
And count every beautiful thing we can see

Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.