Newest Members
jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2, DaiseyLady, uvagrad4
12501 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
innocence (60), pablo999 (53)
Who's Online
1 registered (myrlin), 13 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12501 Members
74 Forums
64185 Topics
447890 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#73939 - 07/29/01 10:25 AM The Gift
fmighell Offline

Loc: Anchorage,Alaska
The Gift, motion picture made 2000,
rated R , 111 min.
with Cate Blanchett, a widowed mother,
makes a living telling fortunes.
For me the guy who was abused by his Dad, over reacted.
fmighell Anc Ak

#73940 - 07/29/01 06:43 PM Re: The Gift
Just Call me J Offline

Loc: Inland Empire, California
Was it reasonable to douse his father in gasoline? No. But his character was also developmentally disabled. His reasoning skills were far lower than you or I. The only thing he had to go on, was his rage, and his memory. So he decided to cause as much pain to his abuser has was done to him.

I'm not condoning it. It was a powerful scene, though. I saw that movie back when it was in theaters, and it was way before I had my flashback. But my buddy turned to me at the end of the film and said, "Billy Bob Thorton has got some issues with his dad... remember Sling Blade?" (Billy Bob Thorton wrote the movie, while Sam Raimi directed it).

I chuckled along with him, but I held back for some reason. I think that was one more attempt of my brain to shine the flashlight on those dark corners of my memory, but I wasn't ready to accept it yet.

Anyway, it was a good flick. There are more likely to be triggers of physical abuse, due to Keanu Reeves' dispicable character, however. The sexual abuse is a side plot.

J

#73941 - 07/31/02 04:01 AM Re: The Gift
Harry Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
old post - i just read it--

Giovanni Ribisi's character in this movie I thought was fantastic. The gasoline thing aside, his rage was so moving. When I saw the blue diamond though, all I was thinking was, "burn, damn you. burn." Not that I condone that - but I got real caught up in it. My favorite part was when he drove up on Keanu Reeves character scaring Cate Blanchet's son and he took the crow bar and, then wait. if you haven't seen this movie - go rent it!
this is just a side plot but i still dont wanna take anything away from my favorite part by fumbling over semantics.

-John

#73942 - 07/31/02 12:31 PM Re: The Gift
SoCalJohn Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Los Angeles, California
I thought the movie was great, just my two cents!

\:\)

John

I asked him about this law he spoke of, he said,,, *watch* he then asked the others to share about their lives,,, the others talked of how things were for them, how things worked in their lives,,, and as they believed, it was so.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.