Newest Members
Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms
12369 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
drivejoepublic (44), eagle299 (43), H18 (21), JJJ (43), mariposaman (63), SevenTwoTwo76 (39), TexAgMan (37), waiter (44), wgwarch (55)
Who's Online
4 registered (lapchinj, tbkkfile, 2 invisible), 18 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12369 Members
74 Forums
63582 Topics
444216 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#73252 - 05/26/05 09:01 PM Re: Peering through the Kaleidoscope (Trigger Warning)
Stephen_5 Offline
BoD Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Northern California Foothills
Jasper50,

I read in your previous posts that you are seeing a therapist. Please continue. Your T will help you deal with these fragmented memories, to help make some sense of them, to see them from a new adult perspective so that they no longer are fearful to you.

I started dealing with my abuse when I turned 50. I kept silent about it for over 38 years. I told no one, not even my wife. It finally got so painful that I had to do something. That was seven and a half years ago now. Things are much better for me now although I've gone through a lot of additional trauma in my life since I started my healing journey.

Take good care of yourself, you're among friends here who do understand.

Steve

#73254 - 05/26/05 11:35 PM Re: Peering through the Kaleidoscope (Trigger Warning)
Stephen_5 Offline
BoD Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Northern California Foothills
Jasper50,

I was diagnosed with PTSD too. I always remembered what happened but I had convinced myself of two very opposing viewpoints: one, that I was the only one that this ever happened to and it was all my fault; two, that this happened to every boy and no one ever talked about it. I would get angry for no apparent reason, I was moody, I did a lot of things that I'm not proud of, but I made it far enough in life to start taking care of those issues.

The first therapist lent me "Victims No Longer" by Mike Lew. I couldn't put it down. I put a dustcover from a mystery novel I had been reading and I read it everywhere. I felt that it had been written for me, about me. I didn't feel alone. I highly reccommend it and you can buy it through the website.

I went to a retreat put on by Mike Lew after my first year in therapy. I was so afraid. Everyone would know. Everyone in that room had been through something, that's why they were there. I felt a kinship, a fellowship, a brotherhood. Something that I'd never felt before. The MS NOMSV retreats are a different format but they are very good too. They are starting up again and I know that they've helped me get to where I am now.

I feel better about myself now that I have in all of my memory. I want the same for all of the guys here on this site.

Take good care of yourself,

Steve

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.