Newest Members
Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy, wiresguy1
12278 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
carter (51), CAW1980 (34), Fissy Tsickens (53), Kris (52), Wheatthins (23)
Who's Online
1 registered (AdawgJR), 29 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12278 Members
73 Forums
63171 Topics
441740 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#72560 - 07/22/04 11:21 PM Need help in Chicago
se6033 Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Hello, my name is Sam and I am a 39 year old survivor of sexual abuse. I was abused by my father's best friend between the ages of 11 and 15 and only recently "remembered" a much earlier abuse by an older female babysitter when I was 5. My life is going to pieces, my depression is worse than it has ever been, I am drinking more than ever to cover the pain and I have become very withdrawn from friends and family. I can't function sexually anymore when it isn't degrading or humiliating to me.
I need HELP locating a therapist that can help me with the feelings of guilt and shame I am experiencing. I have been to therapy many times, have learned why I do the things I do, but I just can't break the patterns. Does anyone know of a therapist in Chicago that may be able to help me? I can't go on this way much longer.

#72561 - 07/22/04 11:33 PM Re: Need help in Chicago
David1010 Offline

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Welcome Sam. Unfortunatley I don't know a T in the Chicago area. This website has links to therapists in different part of the country.

You can also find a lot of support here from other abuse survivors if you are looking for support. I am very happy that you are reaching out for help. Many of us have gone or are actually going through similar situations, an also share similar abuse stories.

In recovery, people recommend to take things one day at a time. I hope you can find the help you need. If you think you are in a crisis, contact any available local mental health hotline. All I can offer you is support. Fell free to post as much as you need to share. Trust me, we know surviving abuse, we understand how it feels, and the crazy things we do to cope with it. \:\( \:\)

#72562 - 07/22/04 11:43 PM Re: Need help in Chicago
se6033 Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Thank you for your support. \:\) I am taking it bit by bit.

#72564 - 07/23/04 11:43 AM Re: Need help in Chicago
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
Welcome, Sam.
Give VOICES a call 1800 7
voices8 or go to their website http://www.voices-action.org/. They are or were based in Chicago and may have some names of competent therapists. Be sure to check out the Consumer's Guide to Therapist Shopping on our site.

Ken Singer

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.