Newest Members
Green_Lantern, Safe11ride, WillWins, neophiliac, Jerone
12118 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
archie chisholm (61), Carlos418 (37), courtney (52), kurotake (55), lostsoul (63), Lukesgirl (28), michael banks (2014), Steffon (42)
Who's Online
3 registered (blockade, jq19712, 1 invisible), 53 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12118 Members
73 Forums
62513 Topics
438098 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#72458 - 06/09/04 10:46 PM Learning About Feelings
blueelectron9 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Victoria, BC Canada
I have been working with my T over the past number of weeks trying to get an idea of what it's like to feel and to understand my feelings. She is working from a book for Borderline Personality Disorder and has given me many assignments on Love, Joy, Anger, Sadness, and Fear.

Each assignment lists words associated with the feeling and has sentences that describe what could cause one to have the feeling, what the feeling is like, etc. I have found it to be tremendously helpful. I felt anger after doing my anger exercise and journaled about how angry I was with my mother and father. Since then in my next T session, I expressed just how much anger I have bundled up inside of me. My partner says that I misdirect it a lot, and I would agree (e.g., road rage, etc.).

It is astonishing how I catch myself dissociating whenever I start to have a feeling and when I allow myself to really feel what I'm feeling, I feel more empowered and in control.

I like being in control.

Thanks for listening,
Scotty

#72459 - 06/10/04 02:40 AM Re: Learning About Feelings
Stephen_5 Offline
BoD Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Northern California Foothills
Scotty,

I've there's a saying in AA about learning to feel, feel everything good and bad. After I'd started therapy (almost 6.5 years ago!!!!, egad!) my T asked me what I felt about what happened to me. All of a sudden I realized that I hadn't felt anything at all for years. His question was like someone talking in a foriegn tongue to me. And I started to feel again.

Feeling is a good feeling even when I'm feeling sad.

Take good care of yourself,

Steve

#72460 - 06/10/04 08:48 AM Re: Learning About Feelings
outis Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Maryland USA
Scotty,

Good for you. It sounds great. Could you please pass on the name of the book with those assignments? I'd really appreciate that. I spend a lot of time dabbling with languages, but that's still a foreign tongue to me, too.

Thank you,

Joe

#72461 - 06/10/04 02:54 PM Re: Learning About Feelings
David1010 Offline

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
If I may add, sometimes I have preferred not to deal with my feelings because they feel not in touch with reality. This is particularly true when I feel fear. I feel afraid of things, people or situations that don't even exist.

What helped me was dealing with feelings and talking about what kind of thing will start certain feelings. My T helped me sort what things I was feeling based on real facts and which things I was feeling out of trauma.

The feeling journey is an intersting one. It also helped me grow and get past some of them to see everything in a more realistic way.

Sounds like you have a good T.

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.