Newest Members
Aurigny, Luther, LuckyCharm, Jennifer Lyons, TantraPunk
12250 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
AdawgJR (28), Brian (50), hikerpark (52), Jeremy Welch (47), Logan81 (2014), Olson30 (60), Patrick7958 (56)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 32 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12250 Members
73 Forums
63103 Topics
441290 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#70015 - 03/17/06 03:52 PM floodgate has open
pbfurm Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
I have never been able to excel in group therapy. I realize it has been a self-esteem problem. Here, I feel freer to want to share my thoughts and feelings, with a group of guys who have experienced the same traumas that I have in one form or another. There were always people who dominated the sessions, and I just got quieter. Talking online is just so great, it's "awesome" (God, I'm too old to use that expression)!

#70016 - 03/17/06 04:08 PM Re: floodgate has open
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
pbfurm,

That's an interesting observation:

Quote:
There were always people who dominated the sessions, and I just got quieter.
I have posted elsewhere about my discomfort with group therapy, and perhaps one reason for my feelings about it is that I would not want to feel like I was competing for a voice, and against other survivors.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#70017 - 03/17/06 06:47 PM Re: floodgate has open
phoster Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: ohio
i found that here, no one really knows the real me. there is power in that, because i can be myself without having to face anyone day to day. i agree that this is one of the best parts of coming here, being able to talk freely.

#70018 - 03/17/06 07:46 PM Re: floodgate has open
markgreyblue Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pasadena, CA
Quote:
"awesome" (God, I'm too old to use that expression)!
i am too - but it is marvelous to use -

37 years old - but i use it! \:\)

nice that you feel this way -

Mark

"...the sign of a true leader is service..." - anonymous

#70019 - 03/18/06 10:26 AM Re: floodgate has open
shadowkid Offline
WARNING from ModTeam, September 2013: user "Shadowkid" was exposed as a hoaxer. His entire online persona and stories of sexual abuse were fiction. We encourage you not to become emotionally concerned by anything you see in any of his posts. Thank you
MaleSurvivor

ibelieve that here is the only place i can be the real me,the only place where anyone knows the real me.and there is power in that.

#70020 - 03/18/06 02:40 PM Re: floodgate has open
Steven Heath Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York City
pbfurm....i was in group therapy for a few years.....i, as you, were intimidated by the dominant ones for a while....after a time, though i began to realize that group therapy was kind of a micro-world if you will....groups are made up of the people out there in the world.....some you may like and identify with.....some have nothing to do with your world and reality....after speaking a lot with my shrink about my hesitation to talk in these groups..he helped me muster the courage to talk......and engage......what i realized, for me anyway, was that some people in the group may or may not accept me for who i am....and ultimately that's okay....as long as i began liking myself and being proud of myself no matter what some in the group may feel....it's the way of the world....but, to your ppint about this site, my experience has been glorious so far...the people i have met and the acceptance, respect and love i feel here is quite unique...it's a magical place and i thank all here who i speak with for their acceptance and support....it makes me feel happy that you feel comfort here......steve

#70021 - 03/18/06 03:18 PM Re: floodgate has open
pbfurm Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Thanks to all. I think the real issue is as Steven said. In the 70's there were no gay male survivor groups, so I was lumped in with people of all backgrounds and problems. Plenty of anti-gay rhetoric running from the mouths of group members. No wonder I remained silent.

#70022 - 03/18/06 09:59 PM Re: floodgate has open
george of kent Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: delaware
Another side of the same coin. "Here nobody knows the real me"
---
In many ways, here is where I am known better than in the real world, at least in the sense that I can talk about myself in ways that I would never dream of doing, in group or in one on one, except in a therapeutic session with a professional T or counselor.
Where is the REAL George? I'm still looking, but I get longer, better glimpses here with the brotherhood than I do just about anywhere else.
Thanks, guys.
Love, etc.

Someone must take a stand -- Coward, take my coward's hand"
Arthur Laurents

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.