Newest Members
JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS
12466 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
BobbyJay (53), john50049 (57), Samii (34)
Who's Online
1 registered (Sonata1), 22 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12466 Members
74 Forums
64014 Topics
446752 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#69911 - 02/26/06 04:15 AM Understanding our Survivors
chase-keith Offline

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Could anyone enlighten me your thoughts on what may go on inside a
survivors mind? any thoughts...whats goes on inside they dont wanna
share? My partner is a Survivor who is healing. I know he has
thoughts that go on inside his mind. When I ask him to share the reply
I get is "I dont have to share". Yes it hurts because I truly desire
to understand and continue to have the right safe home healing
environment.

thanks,
Keith

#69912 - 02/26/06 04:25 AM Re: Understanding our Survivors
johnsurvived Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Arlington, Virginia
chase-keith,

Welcome to MS. What goes on inside a survivor's mind? Well, it depends on the survivor, but some of the commonalities that link the men here are lack of trust in anyone, particularly figures of authority, histories of drinking/drugging and acting out sexually (and a host of other behaviors), a pervasive and persistent sense of unreality, isolation, numbness of feeling and emotion, persistent and pervasive fear and anxiety, depression, emotional overreactions, physical overreactions, the list goes on and on and on. Are any of these issues for your S/O? Could be, but he's the only one who can say.

I am sure it does hurt when he doesn't feel like sharing. All I can say is that if you're patient and don't push, that may change. It may take some considerable time, but the possibility for change is there.

In the meantime, you may want to take this question over into the "Friends and Family" forum -- the women and men who post there can probably give you a lot more help from their experiences as supporters and partners and spouses and friends of survivors.

Keep coming back, it sounds like you've found the right site.

John

Take for us the foxes, the little foxes that spoil the vineyards; for our vines have tender grapes. Song of Solomon 2:15

But let justice roll down as waters, and righteousness as a mighty stream. Amos 5:24

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.