Newest Members
Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms
12369 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aleja (40), bc22 (47), DavidMI (40), Forrest_Gump (39), Jay1946 (68), Malc4 (29), mpm01 (49), widpaulman (43)
Who's Online
2 registered (tbkkfile, susie), 10 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12369 Members
74 Forums
63570 Topics
444147 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#69605 - 01/03/06 09:06 PM back to reality
puppy Offline

Loc: earth
i more or less stopped coming here (or at least posting here) a few months ago. i felt like therapy and abuse and all that stuff was taking over my life, like i was letting it consume all of my thoughts and energy and i needed to find a healthier balance. i kept seeing my therapist for awhile, but slowly stopped. its one of those things that you know is good for you, but life just gets in the way. like exercise is good, or eating well. but some days youre just too busy. i knew i wasnt 'over it' because i know i never will be, but at what point do you stop going to therapy? im starting to think maybe it was a bad choice. but i just dont know.

life has been super busy the last few months and i met someone i really care about and life is good. but now im starting a new semester at school and work is busy again and life is going on, and i feel like im starting to back track. my nightmares are coming back much more often and im having trouble sleeping. i get scared over stupid things all the time. and what scares is me is that now its not just me who has to deal with all this, its my boyfriend too. im scared he will freak out and not want to be around me anymore. i know i cant control that. but it still worries me.

i felt like i was finally getting a grip on things and moving forward. now im wondering if that was just temporary, and if every good time is going to be followed by more bad times. i dont want to be in therapy forever. i dont want to have to go back and start over. how long is long enough? when is it ok to stop?

#69606 - 01/03/06 09:26 PM Re: back to reality
Dewey2k Offline
MaleSurvivor

I have missed my last three therapy appointments and three weekly support groups due to the holidays and other circumstances. I can feel the difference when I go because I feel more balanced and better able to function.

As for when to stop? I think the answer to that is never, or play it carefully by ear. The frequency of T visits will decline as time goes on and more issues are worked out. If things come up again, then visits will get more frequent again.

For me, I went without T visits for almost a year before starting this latest round. I know I'll be going for at least several more months with all that's happening in my life- I have to.

#69607 - 01/03/06 11:43 PM Re: back to reality
Dominic Offline

Loc: Dallas
Puppy

Therapy I think it dependent on the individual person. There is no set rule for it. The way I know when I am making improvements is when I come across things that used to trigger me that no longer trigger me. As I have made improvements I have moved away from my "therapist" and only talk now via phone just to tell her where I am and how I am dealing with it. Tehre are still times I will go into see her too and there are times that I feel like I am back tracking but overall I know that I have gotten better.

Recovery can very easily encompass a lot of time and there is a time that you have to put it aside. There have been many times I wanted to give up so during those times I just acknowledge how I felt and did not do anything and then when I was ready to get going again I just did. The whole process is stressful, frustrating and rewarding. There is NO shame in taking some time off and then coming back to it.

Trying to balance everything is a struggle in and of itself. But finding a balance is important, but not easy to do.

Try not to be too hard on yourself. We all go thru this. You will know when it is time to take a break and go back. But if things begin to trigger you, then it is likely that therapy still needs to be a part of your recovery.

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.