Newest Members
SiegmundNYC, TheGreatWhat, MyNameIsPaul, serenity38, vivo
12486 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Can-tex (45), cbchorn (41)
Who's Online
5 registered (unhappycamper, Don Laufersweiler, CCDC, LPC, Obi, 2 invisible), 27 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12486 Members
74 Forums
64149 Topics
447611 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#69291 - 10/14/05 05:31 PM Some Gay Movies
lostcowboy Offline

Loc: North Texas
Hi all,
American Adobo, it is about five Filipino-American friends. One is a gay guy with a dieing lover.

A touch of Pink, about a gay Indian guy who comes out of the closet.

The Object of my Affection, about a straight woman and a gay guy.

Kissing Jessica Stein, about a straight woman exploring.

Trembling before G-D, about the hidden lives of gay and lesbian Orthodox and Hasidic Jews, very serious documentary.

Southern Comfort, about (F to M), and (M to F) Trangenders. This is a very moving bittersweet love story. Robert the (F to M), is in the last year of his life, he has terminal cancer. Lola is a (M to F) who is half his age.
I give this Docurama a full five stars! Be sure to get the DVD so you can watch the deleted scenes and cast interviews.

Edit: Found a good site for movie reviews. http://www.outfilms.com/

#69292 - 10/22/05 04:47 PM Re: Some Gay Movies
gnidgnod Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Rhode Island
I saw "Mysterious Skin" recently and was very much moved by it. Would recommend that 'none but the brave' -- I mean, those who are very well along in their recovery work -- go to see this because some scenes in it, particularly toward the end, are very upsetting/triggering. It will bring up a lot of anger and sadness, especially if an adult male abused you when you were a child. The movie does not lose its focus or its serious tone. Recommend you do not go alone.

The below film summary and review is from Outfilms.com

Mysterious Skin
Year: 2005
Director: Gregg Araki
Starring: Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Brady Corbet, Michelle Trachtenberg, Jeffrey Licon, Bill Sage, Elizabeth Shue
Synopsis: Two teen-age boys from a small midwest town learn they have a dark secret in common, but only one of them remembers it. The other is looking to the stars for his answers.
Quick review: This is a powerful film that deals with an intense subject in a careful manner. I saw it in a theater and I could hear a man behind me crying at the end of it. The subject matter is not much of a secret. The boys are both victims of sexual abuse when they were 8. One of them can remember -- and in fact treasures -- the experience. The other blacked out and has lost all memory of what happened. He becomes convinced he was abducted by aliens and they subjected him to some kind of experiments. For most of the film, the two stars go off in their own directions. It is only at the end that they are brought back together so that all the secrets can be revealed. This film packs a lot into its 99 minutes. You have pedophila; male prostitution; rape and humor. It breaks the mold of many gay films you might have seen. The actors deliver very strong performances and this is one of the better gay movies I've seen this year.

#69293 - 10/25/05 06:17 PM Re: Some Gay Movies
abcd Offline

Loc: GA
Not a gay movie, but a really good movie (which gays can relate to I think) is North Country!! This one's a tear jerker, and talks about discrimination when people would rather not see it. It just came out this weekend--really great movie!

One that's coming out is Brokeback Mountain (with Heath Ledger and Jake Gylellehal[sp?]).

#443002 - 08/02/13 02:43 AM Re: Some Gay Movies [Re: lostcowboy]
GoldStone Offline

Loc: Far East
Mysterious Skin changed my life.

It was so good to see all that stuff depicted so thoughtfully and accurately...cause and consequences.

It took the sting out of my own early sexualization just knowing that some talented movie makers out there could pull that off with such effectiveness.

I for one think movies like this should be REQUIRED VIEWING.

But I've heard survivors warn each other to stay clear of it.

There are some difficult graphic bits and the whole tone is wound pretty tight.

Still I found it very healing and affirming.

Oh, and I wouldn't call it a "gay" movie really. I can't say more without giving it away, and its a good suspense film. Really well acted...worth your time on many levels.

Edited by GoldStone (08/02/13 03:02 AM)

#443034 - 08/02/13 11:14 AM Re: Some Gay Movies [Re: lostcowboy]
bodyguard8367 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: ""
""

Edited by bodyguard8367 (02/27/14 06:37 PM)

#443041 - 08/02/13 12:15 PM Re: Some Gay Movies [Re: lostcowboy]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: South-East Europe
I used to watch many gay themed movies and found some terrible good:
1. Couple movies made by Israel's producer/director Eytan Fox, gay issues set in militant and macho environment: Yossi & Jagger (2002), Yossi (2012), Walk on Water (2004), The Bubble (2006)
2. The Path to Love (2001) "Tarik El Hob" - made almost like documentary the movie discovers connection of Islam world and homosexuality with some happy end wink
3. Priscilla Queen of the Desert

and many many more...

#443443 - 08/05/13 11:21 PM Re: Some Gay Movies [Re: lostcowboy]
diamondheart Offline

Loc: Michigan
I just watched two movies with gay themes on netflix recently and fell in love with both of them, Nate & Margaret and Morgan.

http://itismytimetoshine.wordpress.com

#444096 - 08/12/13 11:25 AM Re: Some Gay Movies [Re: lostcowboy]
philistine Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oregon
I love you Philip Morris

Boy Culture

"No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself" - Nietzsche

#444122 - 08/12/13 05:28 PM Re: Some Gay Movies [Re: lostcowboy]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida
What a mixed bag. As I've gotten older, I avoid the depressing movies ("Advise and Consent", "Philadelphia", etc.) about the unhappy, closeted or dying Homosexual.

Surprised no one's mentioned "In and Out". Hysterical...and some of the best quotes to integrate into conversation:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119360/quotes

#444142 - 08/12/13 09:46 PM Re: Some Gay Movies [Re: lostcowboy]
TwoSpiritRising Offline

SHORTBus!!
and
Hedwig and the Angry Inch

<3 to John Cameron Mitchell

...Could probably think of some more, but go watch those ones first.

TwoSpirit

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.