Newest Members
JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS
12466 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
BobbyJay (53), john50049 (57), Samii (34)
Who's Online
1 registered (Sonata1), 22 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12466 Members
74 Forums
64014 Topics
446752 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#66494 - 05/27/03 11:42 AM anger management..
PAS Offline

Loc: Canada
Hi. Just a short post with a few questions...

My bf is just starting a course on anger management for SA survivors. Anger has been a major problem in our relationship - my bf does not show anger when he should, has a hard time expressing it properly, and many times he has a hard time controlling it when it does arise.

What is weird is that my BF is really now into the "feeling his anger" thing.. and claiming that he never really felt it before. I am confused with this - he never really had a hard time showing his anger - we have had serious fights which have involved some major verbal abuse and some shoving and slapping (verbal abuse mostly from him - shoving started by him followed by me shoving back and slapping him (once - across the legs)

it seems that his anger and his pulling away is getting worse, not better. I am just confused as to how he could claim that he never felt his anger when he had no problems being very demonstrative about it.. and why things are getting worse rather than better.

soccer

#66495 - 05/27/03 01:07 PM Re: anger management..
ScottyTodd Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Pennsylvania
PAS - Let me explain 2 things first. (1) Thoughts - Feelings - Actions/Behaviors are three different components of our being; each comes from a different source within; and (2) if we don't talk it out, we act it out. With this said, you and your bf have generally acted out the feelings physically interacting or verbally hurting each other. I believe when your bf says "feeling his anger", he is becoming aware of emotions/feelings that are building within himself [not acting on this build up]. Feeling angry and acting on anger are two seperate entities. If you feel the stress and hurt/pain/ etc...but don't talk it out, THEN you act it out physically, verbally, kick/hit walls, throw objects, whatever. If you feel your anger, you can talk it out and healthfully express that emotion in a safe, appropriate way.

Hope this sheds some light?

Howard

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.