Newest Members
BusterJones, Desperateforhelp, aniceguy, Green_Lantern, Safe11ride
12121 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
betterdays (29), ChevyMan76 (46), cuda (48), swartzhund (42), wdf9 (70)
Who's Online
3 registered (teba, 2 invisible), 67 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12121 Members
73 Forums
62517 Topics
438113 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#6525 - 09/23/02 02:22 PM Re: NOMSV
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
The only recent experience I have of abusers is watching some good documentaries and reading about them. Not much more than most non proffesionals I suppose.

And the thing that strikes me most is just how fine a line it is between acting out and abusing.
Every time I see or read about an abuser giving his "reasons" for what they did they describe the same unrelenting force that drives them to commit their acts.
And to my untrained eye it's the same unrelenting force that drove me to act out with other men, and that scares me.

What is the small difference between choosing to act out with men and continuing the cycle of abuse with other children, what small bit of fate directs some of us one way and others the other ?

The other important point is that if these forces are so similar then control and treatment over abusers must have some chance.
I haven't acted out for over four years, but I don't deny the impulse still has some life left.
And another thing I can't predict is whether some kind of major upheaval in my life might send me retreating into my old comfort zone and acting out.

My view is that abusers must be contained securely for these reasons, nobody can guarantee
the success of treatment. Although it must be continued.
Release back into the community could only possibly take place under a very high level of monitoring and faith in the treatment. Unfortunately I for one know how easy it is to assure someone "I'm ok - honestly" I do it to my wife sometimes when I'm having a bad day and I don't want to concern her any more than I have to. It's wrong for both of us I know, but it's the easy option.

there's much to be learned and it has to be done, one day if they can "cure" abusers they will also "cure" us. Unfortunately some of us have a lot in common with them - we both acted out our fantasies - thankfully mine never involved another generation of innocent children.

Lloydy

#6526 - 09/24/02 07:01 PM Re: NOMSV
MrDon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Deltona, FL
Ken,
Thank you from my perspective on what you have said. A few years ago, I don't think I could have understood what you are saying, but I am beginning to. Thank you for being open and honest because after I reread your post a couple of times, I think there will be much more that I can glean from it. It helps to put things in perspective for me I think.

Don

The Mind Body Thoughts Blog
http://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com/

Check out my relaxing piano music from the heart!
http://www.donshetterly.com

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.