Newest Members
Stormchaser, johnnyc717, bluebook, Roscoe, SJC
12314 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
iwishicared (41), Scott Oliver (53), TutDaVinci (32)
Who's Online
5 registered (traveler, petercorbett, 3 invisible), 17 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12314 Members
74 Forums
63367 Topics
443101 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#64101 - 01/08/05 12:44 PM Question re site IDs?&how others feel-
An Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: usa
I'm relatively new here and think the setup of the site has been nothing short of genius- but there's one thing that hasn't worked well for me and I wonder if so for others- theres no way to tell if a post is from a Male Survivor OR the partner/freind (and something just struck me about how few family members seem to be here.....) but i digress!

I'd like to know when reading a message and without a lot of research through individuals history of posts, you can't be sure half the time and it helps me to know if it's a surivor or spouse talking.... i'd even thought at first that the male survivor member indication next to a name meant someone was a male survivor- i was quite confused thereby at first by the posts...

anyway, just wanted to throw the idea and question out there

#64102 - 01/08/05 01:39 PM Re: Question re site IDs?&how others feel-
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
I am a male survivor, but next to my name it says guest. The reason is only that I have not been able to send credit card details and become a member.

It will take a bit of time to find out who is who, and what is what, but you will find your friends, and the help you seek here,

ste

#64103 - 01/08/05 02:15 PM Re: Question re site IDs?&how others feel-
An Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hi reality2...
yes i've read many of your posts and appreciated them-

but the guys don't really have this dilemma - cause on your boards ONLY survivors can post ( a Good rule I agree).

And i love that both can post on F& F- but the posts meaning - it's context- is better understood if we know if it's coming from an F&F or a survivor- even when you do come to the F& F board, you already know who the MSers are from having been able to know immediately by their participation on the MS board.

but on the F&F boards it's a perpetual difficulty- and none of us need the extra stressor. usually an F&F who finds his/her way here is quite stressed already and looking for learning and to understand- anything that lessens confusion would serve that need. I agree once you're very familiar and have spent many hours here you can tell a lot (though still not always and overload does play in) but when you're new is when you're so needy for as much clarity as possible so I think it'd be a good thing for moderators /administrators to look at sometime....

MaleSurvivor denotes Membership rather than male survivor status, Maybe if there was a way to denote male survivor id with another term that included the formally non members (i tend to think of us all as members informally), then by default everyone else could be known to be F&F - just thoughts- I'm certainly happy for All that IS here!! Thanks again to ALL who make this site possible!

#64104 - 01/08/05 03:02 PM Re: Question re site IDs?&how others feel-
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

An, I have often thought that the status of anybody who comes here should be clear, maybe something for the webmaster to look at.

I agree that it is a minefield. When you first come here you are so hungry for information. You just want answers to so much hurt.

I don't often post in the F&F forum, as I dont think it is fair, but if I think I can help, then I post a reply.

I can appreciate that you all do a tremendous job here, and I have learned a lot from visiting this forum, many dont even venture in here.

I can gain valuable insight into how it hurts you. But every relationship is different, everyone has a different background.

Some can cope easier than others, some have different economic backgrounds.

I hope we can all be stronger, by sticking together, and teaching, or learning from each other, it is a hard road, but it can also be a great journey of learning life skills.

I wish you well on your journey,

ste

#64105 - 01/08/05 04:03 PM Re: Question re site IDs?&how others feel-
James_dup1 Offline

Loc: Wyoming
An,
You bring up a good point. You should email one of the mod's or someone on the Board and ask them about this.

James

#64106 - 01/08/05 05:00 PM Re: Question re site IDs?&how others feel-
dwf Offline
Moderator/BoD Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Austin, Texas USA
This is a very pertinent discussion for me.

To my mind it is a myth that being a survivor of sexual abuse gives one some magic power to help someone else who has been sexually abused.

Look at the struggles the male survivors go through on this site in their attempts to be in connection with each other.

As a result of coming to MaleSurvivor I have many friends who are survivors of sexual abuse.
I have also become more aware of histories of sexual abuse in my family of origin as well in other 'families' that have formed in my life.

While the actual 'knowledge' I have gained here, i.e. articles, statistics, perspectives etc. have been most helpful, they are no substitute for the type of learning I must do in order to connect with others.

That must be lived and learned. MaleSurvivor attempts to provide a safe environment where that living and learning can happen. And does a pretty good job of it.

The segregration that occurs in the F&F forum is gender based and not based on history of abuse.

I am very happy that friends and families of male survivors are present on this board.

As I stated earlier, I too am a friend and family of survivors myself. I think of this as a place where I can come to get love and support.
And share what little experience I have.

I'm off the topic now, so I shall stop, except to say that I'm grateful to you all and to this place.

Thanks,

-Tony Joe White

#64107 - 01/08/05 06:01 PM Re: Question re site IDs?&how others feel-
SAR Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
This is a good point Danny,
Quote:
The segregration that occurs in the F&F forum is gender based and not based on history of abuse.
There are some F&F survivors. There are also some male F&F. And really the purpose of this forum is for everyone whose life has been affected by male sexual abuse to discuss relationships with friends and family.

Survivors have always been welcome to come to this forum not only to offer advice, but to discuss their own issues with spouses, friends, kids, etc.

I don't think we are an overwhelmingly large community here. Ask and learn. If you feel that your status as survivor, partner, male, female, whatever, is relevant to what you're saying, mention it in your post so that people can decide for themselves.

I have noticed that a lot of "new" F&F posters really want to hear from male survivors who identify themselves as part of this survivor community. I think some of that has to do with anxiety or inability to get answers and support from the "real life" survivor. It's been my experience that as I became more comfortable talking to my own boyfriend about his SA and its effects, I found myself asking less of "the guys" and more of the F&F.

But as ste says we're all different. There's no guarantee that what you hear from a male survivor on this forum will match what your boyfriend thinks and feels better than what you hear from a partner. I think the point is, it's more important to compare what you read from anyone here with your real life and instincts than it is to judge what you read here based on the gender of the poster.

It's probably not on topic for this thread, but I've wondered a few times if any of the male survivors here been in the position of supporting a SA survivor and if they've had similar reactions to some of the "information" that's out there for secondary survivors-- specifically the non-advice that assumes the worst of male partners of female survivors ("Don't yell at your wife about her assault... don't go beat up the attacker..." :rolleyes: )

#64108 - 01/08/05 06:14 PM Re: Question re site IDs?&how others feel-
An Offline
MaleSurvivor

reality wrote-
Quote:
I don't often post in the F&F forum, as I dont think it is fair, but if I think I can help, then I post a reply.
UGH- i don't agree that "it's not fair"- i see it as totally right and would consider it a deprivation if you couldn't post here-

and gotta say i do see it differently than dwf and i think the male survivor only posting rule is important and right.

and i see the f&F board as non-gender based. we are here for our needs in relation to their's and as the Universe would have it, what's good for us,IS good for them. and this helps us see it in the midst of the temporary insanity the damage often brings on..

i guess i'd vote just for a de>

#64109 - 01/08/05 06:37 PM Re: Question re site IDs?&how others feel-
SAR Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
In terms of being sensitive when responding to posts (triggers etc):

1. These forums are public. Anyone can read them, many people who don't post are still reading. Please, put a trigger warning on a post if you think it will trigger. Be sensitive to the whole community. Just because whoever started the thread won't mind, doesn't mean it isn't going to bother someone else.

2. The best way to avoid flareups is for everyone to use Respect and Restraint. If a post bothers you, or if you are not sure whether or not something you have to say is respectful-- Wait 24 hours. Read and reread. Remember we are all speaking from personal experience. Use the mods to report offensive posts or PMs rather than responding on the boards.

3. If you want to know where someone is coming from, ask and let them tell you. Or do what "newbies" do on most boards-- read first, until you have a sense of who's speaking and what's going on. Personally I am glad that I have to read many posts and exchange words myself with the people here to learn about their lives, instead of reading it off of a label next to their avatar or in their profile.

#64110 - 01/08/05 07:11 PM Re: Question re site IDs?&how others feel-
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

An,

I like the idea of the i.d., issue.

I think, just last week Lloydy posted a link in the survivors forum to an item in the F&F, to get our opinion on a subject similar or the same as what we are talking about here.

Some guys replied, others did not.

Quote:
UGH- i don't agree that "it's not fair"- i see it as totally right and would consider it a deprivation if you couldn't post here-
I have had a lot of PMs from F&F, they have all been positive, and I would always try and help with any issue. I have to be guarded in my reply, as it is only how an issue can affect me, and maybe not the answer you are looking for in your own set of circumstances.

I will have to say this though. From my time of coming here, the male abuse issue is common ground in how it affects each and every one of us. Yes, I thought I was going insane until I came here, then I saw what others had been through, and it all adds up to the same thing.

We have all had to deal with much the same problems, we mostly have used the same tools to get ourselves out.

I have not found it easy to share this with past girlfriends, but if I have shared it, I find it builds into a much stronger bond than anyone can imagine.

If you feel strongly about something troubling you, then why not ask one of us to post the link into the other forums, this can be beneficial, because it will seek more participation of us.

SAR, mentions rereading posts, yes, i have read things and they have triggered me, so I wait, and go back to see if anyone else has taken it the same way, I then reread it, if I find it still of triggering nature, I will ask the author to class it as such. Or ask the mods to investigate.

Replying on these boards, is not the same as face to face, or a telephone conversation, we dont see the body language or the tone of voice, so we can only imagine the frame of mind of the poster, which is a pity.

I am not writing so good these days, but I hope it helps,

ste

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.