Newest Members
MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two, VASurvivor
12331 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cricket453 (60)
Who's Online
3 registered (pufferfish, kcinohio, 1 invisible), 21 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12331 Members
74 Forums
63408 Topics
443326 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#63598 - 12/25/04 08:35 PM mental disorders?
reesersgrl Offline

Loc: ny
I was just wondering if anyones significant other, friend, family member has been diagnosed as a borderline, bipolar etc. because of the abuse they suffered. Mine has. He had been putting on a pretty good front until all of this resurfaced, then he went over the edge. He left me last week again--won't answer my calls yada, yada. He dissasociates, withdrawls and sees absolutely EVERYTHING in black and white.HIS version of reality is not the true reality. Medication that he's on just seems to be making things worse. I have tried so hard to be there for him, but over the last year, he seems to be migrating more towards his "friends" and former co-patients (unhealthy relationships), and disregarding me. Treating me as if I were the enemy. It's heartbreaking.

#63599 - 12/27/04 01:24 AM Re: mental disorders?
niagara Offline

I understand exactly...when you say you have become his enemy. I too experience the constant pain of being pulled close to my boyfriend, only to have him run away quicker each time. As the floodgates open with his ability to have someone to "tell", the relationship is becoming less & less. I am deeply saddened listening to the life he lived as a small boy then into his teens,but distancing myself from this I clearly can see it explains his behaviour in our relationship. His lack of trust, inability to have an intimate relationship ( having SEX isn't a problem, it is the "intimacy part...I love you, hugging, kissing etc.) How would I expect a survivor of numerous family members sexually abusing him, allow that man to develope into a man who could have a one on one relationship with me ? I would never expect that person to be able to enter a relationship and have the outcome I desire...sadly 5 years into this relationship, my boyfriend talks about the abuse everytime during sex, describing whatever, acting out, roleplaying, regressing to child talk, even calling me his Mom. I have been patient with the BiPolar,Moods,Black&White,I don't want you...don't leave me, for 5 years, knowing he will never get help for any of that...knowing he will never seek Professional help for his abuse, is my signal that it will never get better. I always thought I could try harder, lover more, be a better friend to him, and he would be able to stop his up & downs...knowing about the incest gives me zero hope for improvement.

You are not alone in feeling like his enemy.

#63600 - 12/27/04 03:19 AM Re: mental disorders?
Ivanhoe Offline
MaleSurvivor

Your stories break my heart. I have a relative in the same situation.
And then there is Ranata, what that woman has put up with me, she deserves medals, honest to God, medals.
I've been trying to get a handle on what happened to me since I was 19...well, it was before that, too. I have never been diagnosed with anything in particular besides the trauma and abused that I went through until I left home for the Army.
My Mother and sister were both Manic-depressives, and if merry-go-round means anything to you, that's what it was like growing up in my house.
I guess what I'm trying to say, is that help is now available and unless your friend can come up with a treatment program, I don't see much of chance for success.
You sound like you given years of your lives to these guys...you've got killer decisions to make.
Contact Ken Singer for any possible referral for therapists. Good luck to you and thank you for sharing with us.

David

#63601 - 12/27/04 03:56 PM Re: mental disorders?
reesersgrl Offline

Yes, yes, that's exactly how it is. The more free he is to tell others (and I don't begrudge him that)the more distance he puts between us. I know this sounds selfish, but in the beginning, I had thoughts about this same situation happening. I wanted him to get better, but I also wanted him to need just me. I feel so absolutely alone. I have spent the last two and 1/2 years talking him thru panics attacks on the phone, holding him and comforting him, bandaging his wounds of self infliction, late night, im so tired i could drop, back rubs to pull him out of a terrible place, doctor visit after doctor visit, rage after rage--still loving him, still wanted to help him, only to be tossed aside and forgotten. I am the one who encouraged him to go to the police. I am the one who talked him into therapy. I am the one who said YES!! try the medication, Baby. I am the one who said, DONT GIVE UP! And in the end, he gave up on me......

#63602 - 12/27/04 04:01 PM Re: mental disorders?
reesersgrl Offline

Niagara, also the s/a has become EVERY conversation. He speaks of revenge and hatred on a constant basis. It has taken over our lives. I find myself constantly wondering what we used to talk about before his memories resurfaced. Most of the time, during our sexual realtionship, I wondered if he was even there with me at all...

#63603 - 12/27/04 09:15 PM Re: mental disorders?
niagara Offline

Thanks REESERSGRL, for touching on the ability for the Survivor to make us feel uneeded & forgotten, I think of it as becoming a disposable person.
Has anyone that is a Partner of a Survivor felt once the Survivor begins to disclose...they see us, as a "witness" to the actions taken against them...varying between them being embarassed & ashamed,with regressing into the age they were during the abuse.
It is obvious now,while I am making love to him, it is not me he is with...he is a lifetime away. As mentioned on an earlier post, now that the abuse is out, the abuse consumes our sexual time, interestingly it is never discussed outside of that enviroment.
The increased distance & coldness directed at me is so unfair, as I care deeply & would support him through this & any crisis. He has been there for me at rough times in my life, but the difference is I am not opposed to getting help from the proper sources.

I have never seen him as an "emotional punching bag" which is what I have beome to him.

Regards,

#63604 - 12/27/04 10:43 PM Re: mental disorders?
SAR Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
I'm not sure what this means:
Quote:
Has anyone that is a Partner of a Survivor felt once the Survivor begins to disclose...they see us, as a "witness" to the actions taken against them...varying between them being embarassed & ashamed,with regressing into the age they were during the abuse.
I have witnessed some of what this describes. I have seen my boyfriend's posture and vocabulary change when we were discussing his abuse, in a way that could be a regression to the age he was when he was abused. It was nothing dramatic but I know him so I noticed a difference. Of course I have seen him ashamed, guilty, afraid, etc.

I don't know exactly how he feels about that, from what he's told me I'd imagine that he has positive feelings about his ability to share with me and the strength of the bond and trust between us. When I was scared that he would recover and then leave me, I brought it to him and he laughed and asked what would make me think that he would leave the only person he trusted enough to tell.

But I think the question is asking if his disclosure to me makes me a witness to the abuse, or associates me with the act of abuse in his mind. I have no idea. I doubt it.

However, I believe that it is very important for me to keep out of his healing until I am invited, while still asking for accountability from him in matters concerning the both of us. I want to keep our relationship healthy, and that takes work and communciation, but I also want to keep it as free from abuse talk as possible, a safe place. It's a tricky balance, but it doesn't leave a lot of room for these damaging associations.

In terms of the rest of the thread, I do think that partners should set expectations high when it comes to how they will be treated. Certainly it is within your rights NOT to be an emotional punching bag, NOT to do anything with him sexually that makes you uncomfortable.

Not being honest about what you need from a partner to be happy in the relationship, allowing your boundaries to be ignored, putting up with abuse, lack of trust, disrespect, focusing on abuse issues to the detriment of the rest of the relationship-- these things are not caring, they are not healthy, and when one of the parties in that relationship gets healthy, he or she will naturally move away from this sort of unhealthiness.

At that point both parties will have to sort out what is left of the relationship, if the whole thing has been neglected and rebuilt around these abuse issues, then maybe there will be little to salvage. \:\(

#63605 - 12/28/04 10:42 AM Re: mental disorders?
Mezzo Offline

Loc: Oregon
I am very interested in the possibility that sexual abuse may cause a child to become manic depressive/bipolar. I understand there is some research to indicate that abused children develop Attention Deficit Syndrome. This really makes sense to me. I see some indication of this with my partner.

I really identified with the pain you described about being treated like "the enemy" after years of giving love, care and understanding while other "new abused friends" were showered by my partner with sensitive care and intimate conversation. It was the ultimate in "crazy making". I thought I was losing my mind, to say nothing of losing my best friend.

I don't have any answers but I have been thankful for the support of friends and the healing that therapists have given both of us. I am thankful for the peace that we have now most of the time and for just being able to feel kind of "normal". I'm not assuming that the storms are gone forever but just thankful we're not experiencing them right now. Makes me want to tell you to have hope. Things can get better, particularly when therapy is involved. Peace to you.

#63606 - 12/28/04 01:01 PM Re: mental disorders?
An Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: usa

#63608 - 12/28/04 02:09 PM Re: mental disorders?
reesersgrl Offline

Well, Niagara, you and I seem to be on the same page here. I have very much felt that (and he's even told me in his own way) that I know too much about him, i.e. what happened to him, the acting out situations etc. He trusted me enough to let all this stuff come out(with my persuasion) but it bit me in the behind in the end. Sometimes I'm sorry that I pushed him to disclose. It may be helping him, but it ruined us. Emotional punching bag, lol, I believe those are the exact words I used in another post.
I'm very confused, hurt and angry. Yesterday I saw him for the first time in about a week, and he made me talk to him thru a crack in the car window. (okay, okay, I had choices, but I was filled with desperation!!)Then he took off. Wouldn't talk to me, wouldn't give me answers to any of my questions. It's so insane. It's hard enough to leave a normal, just uncompatible relationship. When someone leaves you after a mentally exhausting situation such as this, it leaves so many unanswered questions in your mind. I decided then, that I have to let him go. As much as it hurts me, he is no longer the person I fell in love with. I too, had thoughts of him leaving me once his life started to come together. He assured me that this would not happen. Now my whole world, hopes for healing and growing together-gone. Flip flopped on me right b4 my eyes.
I hope that he is able to heal his mind, his heart and his soul. I doubt this will happen as long as he keeps lying to his therapist and to himself. As long as he continues to self medicate and put himself in negative environments.
I'm starting back with my therapist this morning. Im dreading going, because I just don'[t want to cry anymore.Wish me luck....Thanks, Vicky

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.