Newest Members
jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2, DaiseyLady, uvagrad4
12501 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Jeremy (29), john22 (31), just starting (58)
Who's Online
4 registered (dew, Logan, Cthulhu, 1 invisible), 22 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12501 Members
74 Forums
64183 Topics
447870 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#62538 - 11/01/04 02:12 PM Is this true?
Enchantedlady Offline

When I was talking to my counselor Friday, she mentioned that eating good, exercising, therapy can really help my H. She mentioned that when we exercise that we release serotonin and that helps people that have been abused. She explained in more depth but it would be too hard to put it in here.

So I went to the health food store (one that they know me well \:\) )and got a supplement called 5-HTP. It's supposed to be converted to serotonin.

Anyone else heard of this?

Hebrews 13:5 Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you

#62539 - 11/01/04 04:05 PM Re: Is this true?
MikeNY Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY
Everything that happens within your body is related to diet and exercise. All emotions are tied directly to body chemistry. They are biochemical reactions. Eating right, diet, exercise, and drinking lots of water will always help. Stabilization of body chemistry will definitely help with all of the emotional responses. Exercise is especially helpfull when someone is feeling negative emotions such as anger. Exercise may also be used to exhaust the body. When the body is physically exhausted, it is impossible for it to release chemicals which cause heightened emotions. There are stages to having an emotion. It is well documented that the body requires certain criteria for having heightened emotions such as anger, fear, anxiety, etc.

#62540 - 11/01/04 05:07 PM Re: Is this true?
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
What Mike says is right. I have to eat a good diet, no junk food, or very little, and very little convenience food. I am blessed that I am a good cook, and I vary nutition throughout the week.

Exercise, I can't not exercise. I find exercise very relaxing, possibly because my mind is on other things, and I am very lucky to live close to the countryside, and also the coast.

At night, I listen to music, or watch a movie, relaxation is needed before bedtime, to get to sleep.

I don't know if the supplement will work, that you say you bought, but give it a try.

ste

#62541 - 11/01/04 11:03 PM Re: Is this true?
SAR Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
MikeNY

Quote:
When the body is physically exhausted, it is impossible for it to release chemicals which cause heightened emotions. There are stages to having an emotion. It is well documented that the body requires certain criteria for having heightened emotions such as anger, fear, anxiety, etc.
Where can I find more info about that?

Thanks
S

#62542 - 11/02/04 01:07 AM Re: Is this true?
MikeNY Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY
When physically exhausted, the body is incabable of maintaining heightened levels of emotions.

James Lang theory of emotions.

Cannon Bard theory of emotions.

Schachter and Singerís two-factor theory of emotions.

Davidson, Scherer, & Goldsmith: Emotions.

Joseph LeDoux, and McGaugh & Cahillís research on the amygdala, fear and anxiety.

Lang, Davis & Ohman: Emotions.

Richard Lazarus: Emotions.

Robert Zajonc: Emotions.

Plus many, many, more.

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.