Newest Members
JHNebraska, mike42069, JACKL, Personman, SiegmundNYC
12490 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
kb8715 (114), rom2057 (57), terrapin (51)
Who's Online
4 registered (myrlin, TheGreatWhat, BraveFalcon, 1 invisible), 17 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12490 Members
74 Forums
64158 Topics
447702 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#62220 - 08/20/01 12:42 AM Anyone know these terms?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Can anyone tell me what these mean? The only one I think I know for sure is male SA = sexual abuse? What are "PTSD, DD, Male RTS and male SA" and is there another one, "DID"?

#62221 - 08/20/01 03:05 PM Re: Anyone know these terms?
babs Offline

Loc: Cub Hill, MD
Hi Lostnlonelyme --
Let me introduce myself, I'm 'babs' and the wife of an SA survivor. I've been married to 'getteddie' for 22 years today! \:D We have only been on this emotional roller coaster for about a year because he had repressed the SA trauma for 40 years, but I'm well versed in the professional jargon.

PTSD = Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
DD = Dissociative Disorder
Male RTS = Male Rape Trauma Syndrome
DID = Dissociative Identity Disorder

I'll post later and describe meanings as best I can.
Another Partner in Pain,
babs ;\)

#62222 - 08/20/01 05:31 PM Re: Anyone know these terms?
Anonymous
Unregistered

This isn't silentnomore but his wife, who's been corresponding with Babs also.

I can talk about PTSD. It's an anxiety-related problem which is usually characterized by flashbacks, disturbing recollections of a trauma, nightmares, hypervigilance, and an increased startle response (most of my work is in the area of disability, so I've gotten to know some of this). In my work, we often see it in Vietnam veterans. Various sensory stimulants might cause flashbacks. For example, I've seen cases with vets who had flashbacks after smelling freshly cut grass or gasoline or after hearing helicopters. Accident victims often have flashbacks or nightmares of an accident.

I don't know too much about DD or DID yet, although there have been posts here by guys who have discussed these.

#62223 - 08/20/01 10:08 PM Re: Anyone know these terms?
babs Offline

Loc: Cub Hill, MD
Lost --
My de>

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.