Newest Members
Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms
12369 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
drivejoepublic (44), eagle299 (43), H18 (21), JJJ (43), mariposaman (63), SevenTwoTwo76 (39), TexAgMan (37), waiter (44), wgwarch (55)
Who's Online
3 registered (tbkkfile, traveler, royjay), 23 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12369 Members
74 Forums
63582 Topics
444218 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#61528 - 04/30/06 03:39 PM Re: Therapy + Me = Sane
JAAY Offline

Loc: NYC
Trish,
"Sorry, ask for directions? I have no idea what you're talking about."

Just a joke. Did you ever hear that guys will drive around for hours lost and not take the advice of their g/f to stop and ask for diections?

Have a good one!
Jaay

#61529 - 04/30/06 05:40 PM Re: Therapy + Me = Sane
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Trish,

Quote:
I can handle a lot, but I canít be a replacement for his T. First, I have no training in that regard and second, thatís not who I am. I love him and support him, but I canít and wonít allow myself to be drawn into a role that doesnít fit and is not right.
What a clear and decisive statement! I think all of us need to consider this viewpoint when we start thinking that our partner "doesn't understand" or "doesn't support" us. So often we are asking for things that are not for her to provide.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#61530 - 05/06/06 03:20 AM Re: Therapy + Me = Sane
johnsurvived Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Arlington, Virginia
Trish,

I'm a Johnny-come-lately on this thread, so forgive me if I backtrack to the original post to go to one of your first questions, because it struck a chord and I think I might have something to say to it:
Quote:
Among other things, he canít/wonít get angry with his parents, siblings or anyone else for that matter. But I do. Itís almost like heís experiencing his anger vicariously through me, but once he sees it, it frightens him and he shuts himself and me down. Does this ring true to any of you guys?
Trish, there are men in this world who are at home in their emotions, there are men who, for whatever non-abuse issue they may have, are cut off from their emotions, and then there are survivors. There's something leftover from the abuse experience I think, that makes it difficult for me to handle ANY intense emotional experience. This is a double bind, because the behaviors I indulge in to get out from under, or slide around, or block out that feeling (or replace it with something more familiar, more comfortable, more deserved) are also behaviors that are liable to elicit emotional conflicts in the home, and thus kick the cycle into hyperdrive.

Are you his T? Hell no, you are someone who's trying to live with and support your b/f. He's the one who needs to do the work on what's really bugging him in the here-and-now that he is trying to deal with with the coping skills he learned then-and-there, not you. So do or don't share this with him if it rings any bells with you, but it just might, I hope a little anyway, give you some insight into his badly displaced anger.

Trish, thanks for asking this. If the post reads a tad muddled, I apologize, but I think you have, if nothing else, allowed me to set a few thoughts of my own in order. And that, as they said in New Jersey, is cool beans indeed.

John

Take for us the foxes, the little foxes that spoil the vineyards; for our vines have tender grapes. Song of Solomon 2:15

But let justice roll down as waters, and righteousness as a mighty stream. Amos 5:24

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.