Newest Members
JayNL, Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy
12279 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
melnjams (42), rage (27)
Who's Online
3 registered (Shyshark, 2 invisible), 28 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12279 Members
73 Forums
63193 Topics
441854 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#61512 - 04/28/06 03:18 AM What others think
wrangler Offline

Loc: Northern Virginia
When I feel bad I try to ignore it. To elaborate and describe feeling bad is particularly difficult because by ignoring the feeling it becomes hard to understand myself, much less articulate to others. I definitely felt bad what I was being abused, but there were lots of other times when I felt bad in childhood. If other kids made fun of me or didnít include me in their circle I would feel bad. If I was in trouble at home I would feel bad. Through practice I changed feeling bad into a numb, disconnected and vaguely uneasy feelingÖ a sort of dull dread of nothing in particular.

As an adult I have honed this skill until it is almost completely subconscious. But it doesnít always feel like dull dread. Sometimes, like right now in fact, it feels like acute anxiety. Trouble is that I have no idea why I am anxious. And when I sit down and earnestly try to figure it out I feel like I will drive myself straight into a panic attack, as if the truth about my anxiety will simply be more than I could bear. Maybe my anxiety isnít about the feelings themselves, but about the consequences of the situation causing the feelings.

Suppose I show up late for work. No one says anything to me because I am usually so punctual, but I know it has been noticed and I know the boss doesnít like people to be late. Now letís suppose the next day I am late again, and again no one says anything to me. I would drive myself crazy with anxiety, worrying about getting fired or the boss not liking me anymore or who knows what might happen to me. Although I wouldnít have any real feelings about the actual situation at hand (my tardiness being poor show of professionalism) I would have lots of feelings about the possible bad things that might be getting ready to happen to me.

That example is a bit manufactured and obvious though. Consider what happened to me today. I had a long conversation with one of my friends about my relationship with my ex-wife. He was interested in why the marriage failed and how I felt about her before the breakup and after it. The conversation got pretty personal but was otherwise uneventful. Afterwards I found myself anxious, apparently about nothing. Now sitting here writing this I am confident I am worrying about what will happen as a result of the conversation. Was I too personal? Did I give too much information? Was there something I should have kept to myself? Did my friend change his opinion of me (for the worse)? Will he tell other people the stuff we talked about?

Missing from this chaos of thought is any consideration of how I feel (aside from worried). Although I could legitimately turn all of those questions around (Was he too personal? Did he give too much information?) I never would. Well, maybe not never, but not in my present emotional state. Since I am completely concerned with how others will react to a situation I give little or no thought to my own reaction, and that is really a twofold problem.

One the one hand, without any conscious attention to my reaction, my behavior is likely immature and self centered. On the other hand, since I am not paying any attention to how I am acting or feeling I am not learning anything about myself. What could I have done better? What did I like? What didnít I like? All valuable questions, but never asked or answered. Instead, what did you like? How could I have pleased you more?

W

#61513 - 04/28/06 05:10 PM Re: What others think
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Wranger,

My first thought as I read through your post here is to wonder if there are really serious self-esteem issues involved here. That's pretty common among survivors, and my version of it was to run around trying to achieve all the time in order to make up for my feelings of worthlessness. Yours seems to be (and this is just a guess) worrying about what others think about what you do or don't do (getting to work on time) in order to compensate for feelings of guilt, or at least, fear of giving too much information about yourself.

All this is the result of the feelings about ourselves that we have rattling around inside our heads, and that leads me to ask if you are seeing a T. That would be a very good way of dealing with these issues. I am with a very good T now, and I would never go back to the time when I was trying to cope on my own, as if recovery was a kind of do-it-yourself project.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.