Newest Members
Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms
12369 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aleja (40), bc22 (47), DavidMI (40), Forrest_Gump (39), Jay1946 (68), Malc4 (29), mpm01 (49), widpaulman (43)
Who's Online
2 registered (don64, 1 invisible), 9 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12369 Members
74 Forums
63570 Topics
444143 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#58770 - 11/12/05 03:47 PM 2006 MS Conference
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
A lot of folks have been waiting patiently for the news. We have a conference date and site!

The 2006 Conference for survivors and professionals will be held Sept 29, 30 and Oct 1 in Cherry Hill, NJ. This is a suburb of Philadelphia and the Hilton Hotel/Conference Center is quite nice. There is free parking and convenient shuttle service from the Phila airport. We hope to draw about 350-400 attendees over the three days.

I will be meeting with a small group to set up the conference committee structure. This site was used by my NJ ATSA group to hold national conferences in 1997 and 2003 that were very successful and I want to involve you for helping make this conf a success and great opportunity for healing and training more professionals to work more effectively with survivors.

First order of business is to come up with a conference theme. The theme is what gets advertised and can help set the tone of the conference. We want the theme to be positive and about healing. It should not be too narrow that it identifies only a small area, such as clergy abuse, although there may be a couple of workshops or presentations on clergy abuse.

I look for your suggestions on themes. They can be posted here and we can brainstorm for a while and then pick a theme.

The next step will be to identify committees and tasks that people can volunteer for. Some of the work will need to be done in the Philly area and if any of you are local and want to help out, please let me know in an email to me at ken.singer@comcast.net.

Other work can be done by email. We need to find sites on the web that will advertise (for free) our conference, perhaps offering to do workshops or sending out an announcement to their members through their email lists. Other things that will be necessary includes fundraising for reducing our costs (such as helping underwrite the cost of a coffee break) or provide in-kind services (such as providing mailings or tote-bags, etc.).

Should have committees and tasks identified in the next few weeks. I know the holiday season is coming on rapidly but we are way behind in the planning and organizing due to not having the site identified until just recently.

But, the good news is that we have an experienced core committee that will jump start us and get us rolling.

Until the webmaster, Nathan, can get a seperate area for conf info, you can post here with ideas and suggestions.

Thanks for your help and support.

Ken Singer
Conference Chairman

#58771 - 11/12/05 07:21 PM Re: 2006 MS Conference
Caetel Offline

Loc: Paris, France
Great news ! I will start saving money for this and will think about themes and stuff too. I am forwarding your news to the people I know in France and abroad. I know quite a few websites too !
I am really excited about this news !!!!
I will be in touch again later !
Caro

#58772 - 11/12/05 11:27 PM Re: 2006 MS Conference
SAR Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
2006 Conference Forum is up and running.

#58773 - 11/15/05 03:38 PM Re: 2006 MS Conference
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Loc: New Jersey
This is great news. I know my b/f is no where near being able to attend such a conference today, but ten months from now, he may be and it's close to us.

Ken, you say that the conference is for survivors and professionals; do family and friends fit anywhere? If my b/f doesn't feel comfortable attending, I may want to. Let me know please.

Thanks.....Trish

#58774 - 11/16/05 03:26 AM Re: 2006 MS Conference
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Trish:
While we don't have specific proposals for workshops at this point, I think from the questions or comments from partners of survivors, we will have at least a workshop or two dealing with issues for partners of survivors. I would love to see a panel of partners do a workshop, so anyone who is looking to put something together, stay tuned for the "call for papers" which will be coming out shortly.
Ken

#58775 - 11/16/05 06:52 PM Re: 2006 MS Conference
TRACYUK Offline

Ken

Is there ever anything like this in the UK?

Thanks

Tracy

#58776 - 11/16/05 07:57 PM Re: 2006 MS Conference
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Not that I'm aware of. The first conf was piggybacked on the tail end of a conf that was dealing with sexual offenders. You might want to do a search on NOTA, which is the Brit version of ATSA (Association for the Treatment of Sexual Abusers) to see if they do a conf that you might tag onto. Or, see if any victim-oriented confs take place (I'm sure they do... maybe something on clergy abuse or domestic violence.)
Ken
PS: you could pm Lloydy who has a pretty good idea on services in UK. Maybe you could convince him to try to put something together.

#58777 - 11/16/05 08:46 PM Re: 2006 MS Conference
Caetel Offline

I would love if there was a workshop on 2 survivors relationship 'cos there is basically no reference on this.
I would also love if there was something about dance/theatre/body therapy
And I would love to present something and be part of this amazing event.
I have been looking at cheap flights already and that would give me the opportunity to visit a close friend and also have a nice stay in New York.

TracyUk: there was the conference in Galway last year for male survivors with Jimmy Harran from MASC, Mike Lew, Colm O Gorman from One in Four, Bob Balfour (in charge male survivor organization in Harrogate I think) and Ian Warwick (Huddersfield University).
I have not heard of a conference in the UK but will post if I hear anything.
\:D

#58778 - 11/18/05 06:56 PM Re: 2006 MS Conference
Caetel Offline

I forgot to mention that I would love to meet native american/First Nations healers/therapists working with survivors. I heard some healers came at the conference in Mineapolis and I have met Pierre Picard from the GRIPMA in Quebec who is setting up a fantastic programme within the Innu comunity in collaboration with the circle of Elders, healers and therapists.
So yeah...I would love that too !

#58779 - 11/19/05 02:34 AM Re: 2006 MS Conference
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Just a quick note here. The date of the conference has been moved up a month to Oct 27-30 due to a conflict with another national conf and it also gives us an additional month of planning time.

We will be posting conf committees and looking for some help with the committees as well as getting ideas for workshops.

More info to follow.
Ken

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.