Newest Members
mojo, James M, FredM88, Vermona, Jas52
12111 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
chrisH (34), Malaki619 (32), worcester2003 (51)
Who's Online
1 registered (gatoonfanatic), 87 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12111 Members
73 Forums
62499 Topics
438053 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#56947 - 07/19/05 12:13 AM letter from my sister
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Hi guys,

We have so many stressful and trying things to say, and today I am really happy to share something really cool that happened to me.

This morning I received a package in the post and had other things to do, so I forgot to open it. Then through the day, for all sorts of reasons, things weren’t working out and by this evening I was feeling really rotten - on top of that I had to go collect a tipsy son late at night from some village near us.

Then I thought of the package and went to look for it. What a surprise! It was from my little sister back in the States, and she was sending me some belated birthday presents. One is a CD by a blues singer and axman I know, a former blues mentor of mine who has really gained a name for himself in recent years. But the other present was really special. It is a huge blue wool shawl – not so useful at the moment, but great for those cold clammy German winter nights. And with it there was this note from my sister, not “The Rock” (my older sister), but my younger sister who has also been very supportive with all the things I am going through these days. This is what she says:

Quote:
Dear Larry,

I started this shawl a few months ago, knowing that it needed to be knitted, but not entirely certain who it was for. Shawls sometimes happen that way. They start with a prayer, and their purpose makes itself known to the knitter as the knitting and the prayers progress.

A dear friend of mine knitted me a shawl that arrived on a day I was feeling absolutely dreadful. It was an incredible gift for me to receive. I took the shawl to bed with me, and wrapped myself into its folds of prayers and love. Since then, my shawl goes with me wherever I go. It’s my adult “Nunny” (the stuffed rabbit that you rescued for me on that camping trip when I was little).

During the process of knitting, it came to me that this shawl was to be for you. I love you, and there have been so many times that I have wished that I could be there for you to wrap my arms around you and give you comfort. Instead, this shawl will stand in for me.

And on a cold dreary day, it’s just nice to wrap up and read a good book, or listen to some music (a new CD from your teacher John * is enclosed too). In the summer, it can be folded and used as a pillow. Whatever. Just know that I am with you all the way.

Peace and love be with you,
Betsy
This really picked me up, so I wanted to share it. It is things like this that make me remember that there are a lot of good things and good people out there. I just have to recognize them.

Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#56948 - 07/19/05 12:21 AM Re: letter from my sister
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
Larry
treasure that shawl, what a comfort on a lonely night.

Dave

#56949 - 07/19/05 03:23 AM Re: letter from my sister
outis Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Maryland USA
Larry,

That is a delightful package to receive. Your sister sounds like a beautiful person. I'm glad you have her on your side to help you through the tough times, and to celebrate the good ones. \:D

Thanks,

Joe

#56951 - 07/20/05 11:57 AM Re: letter from my sister
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
Larry, it is a really good gesture from your sister, it shows how loving and caring she is.

My sister bought me a white Lacoste T shirt, it is really cool, but I have never worn it yet, maybe I will,

thanks for sharing,

ste

#56952 - 07/20/05 04:54 PM Re: letter from my sister
TJ jeff Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northern Wisconsin
Larry,

I am so happy for you that you have someone in your family that loves you so much - I can only wish that I had someone like your sister in my family

Treasure that gift of love from your sister on those cold nights in Germany

I would frame that letter and hang it on my wall if it was to me...

TJ jeff

Abuse happens in silence/isolation - Recovery happens only when that silence/isolation is broken...

TJ's History

#56953 - 07/20/05 05:34 PM Re: letter from my sister
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Dave, Joe, Kevin, Ste, Jeff,

Thanks so much for your kind comments. I am a bit all over the place these days, and out of the blue arrives this from Betsy. It really did move me. Jeff I am definitely going to frame her letter and hang it up. She wrote it on a very artsy kind of paper with blue cloudlike designs on it, and the text is in blue ink. The whole thing is done with so much thought and compassion. I really feel blessed.

Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.