Newest Members
OxfordArms, Anony_mous, Drew6991x, Miro, jj843
12365 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
gryffindor (67), KevinSweeney (57), latinflavor815 (52), latin_flavor_815 (52), RTMark (33), sabooka (35), southpaw10 (46)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 13 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12365 Members
74 Forums
63547 Topics
443996 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#56736 - 12/16/03 06:59 AM Question.
steel Offline

Loc: In Gods hands
Is it ok to hate my wifes abuser? Is it ok to tell her that?

My love, my heart and my soul
Is a teardrop in my eye.
My love consumes my heart,
My heart consumes my soul,
All together you have - my very existence
I cry for us!!!

#56737 - 12/16/03 11:17 AM Re: Question.
Wifey1 Offline

Steel,
I think it is perfectly acceptable to hate her abuser... BUT you need to know that she is in a space where she can "hear" you say you hate him. If you can share that with out her feeling "responsible" for your feelings then it may be ok to share that. If you could maybe phrase it as... "I hate what your abuser did to you" it might be a little easier for her hear you. It is ok to be genuine with her about how you feel... just remember tho if she feels uncomfortable she may end up feeling a bit of shame embarrassment or regret in sharing with you what she did. She needs to be able to trust that you will not cross her boundaries or wishes about how to deal with her abuser. It must be in HER time... and that can be really really frustrating for you. Maybe you could ask her "can I tell you how I feel about your abuser". That way she remains in "control" of the iformation & you still get a chance to maybe tell her. If not its always ok to tell a therapist how you feel about the abuser.
You are entitled to feel anything you do feel about her abuser... after all the abuser not only effected/affected HER life but now YOURS too! Your a co survivor with her... it is good to know that she has such strong support from you.
Peace, Sammy

#56738 - 12/16/03 06:07 PM Re: Question.
PAS Offline

Loc: Canada
Oh man.. totally can identify with hating your partners abuser.. I have nightmares of running over my fiance's perp with my car. When I think about this guy I get this odd, very intense, indescribable feeling of rage, anger, fear and nausea all at the same time. I usually shake, cry and wind up with a wicked headache when I think of that bastard.

But I do echo the sentiment that you have to ensure yoru wife is in a safe space for you to tell her how much you hate her abuser. I have actually said how much I hate my partner's abuser to him and unfortunatley my attempt to being compassionate backfired becuase he was not at a space where he coudl access the anger and rage that he had towards his abuser (and his mom who helped enable the situation) as of yet. Instead it just freaked him out and baffled him.

(footnote he is just entering the stage of his healing journey where he is starting to direct the appropriate emotions at the appropriate people)

P

#56739 - 12/16/03 11:12 PM Re: Question.
SAR Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Here comes mad Sar, man it is not pretty.

I have so much freaking hate for SO MANY PEOPLE in my boyfriend's life, that I actually can't tell him how much hate I have, because the words don't exist. And the worst part is that he is so afraid of his own anger, he's conditioned himself not to feel any of his anger at all because he's scared of what it will do (he's not actually done anything with this anger), so I'm even angrier because I see him NOT being angry when he has EVERY RIGHT TO BE. Just a little bit. There are days I wish he would walk into his parents' house with a bat just so that I could stop dreaming of doing it. Not constructive, I know.

I remember when he first told me about his SA, one of the things I asked him was, how could this all have happened, on such a daily basis, without anyone noticing that you guys were gone? Only a kid, you'd think that someone's mom might poke her head out and look up and down the street and be concerned that the boys were nowhere to be seen. How long were you allowed to play without coming in? An hour? Two?

And he told me, "All day." ALL DAY???? all fucking day. This is the woman who consistently makes her children feel like subhuman creatures who are unworthy of her love and affection because they leave crumbs on the table, and made her boys feel terrible all the time just for being born male, just because of her own issues. I have no trouble believing that a) she really DID let her children out of the house in the morning and not care about where they spent their time until they came in, and that b) she would not have supported and believed her children if they had told her, that she would have told them it was hurting HER to hear it or it was so AWFUL to say, difficult to hear, whatever.

I believe this last part because in the past I've heard her say things like it to my own girls, just manipulative things that ignorant adults say to kids like "It hurts me when you say you're mad at her" and "Why would you want to ask a question like that", and for the sake of not wanting to get in the way of his family relationships, I gritted my teeth and just told the girls when we came home that of course they're entitled to express their feelings and ask questions, to me at least. But once I heard about his SA, and esp. that "all day" crap, I hit the roof. Mind you this is the woman who keeps my kids at her house after school and on Saturdays when I'm at work.

I tried to keep (and I'm still trying) most of this anger from him because it's just destructive and pointless and he's afraid of anger to begin with. I waited until the next day and I just told him that it was something I was dealing with but that of course I intend to respect his privacy (she still doesn't know about his SA). But I did make the decision to stop working on Saturdays at least until I can find some other child care arrangements. I am not comfortable with my girls spending the whole afternoon in that neighborhood (the weekday afternoons there are other, better adults around). I don't care if 3/4 of my paycheck goes to child care, it's worth it if it limits their exposure to her weirdness and neglect. He wasn't happy about this, he saw it I think as me feeling like I had to make all these changes because of "his" problems. And he is anticipating questions from his mom when I go back to work and start paying someone to watch the girls instead of sending them there. Oh well. I'll just have to make up some other reason why I don't want them there all day, it won't be hard, I've got a whole list of other reasons and she doesn't like me to begin with.

That's all I can say about that. I know I'm not saying anything helpful and I'm sorry. Clearly my short answer to your question is, yes, hate away. And when she's ready to be angry, let it be her anger, don't swallow it with your world of anger (this I know will be a problem for me)

peace
Sar

#56740 - 12/17/03 10:50 AM Re: Question.
PAS Offline

Loc: Canada
Yeah.. I can totally relate to your situation... SOunds awful. it is really tough but the battle between your partner and his mom is really your partner's.. it is hard to sit by and watch I know I see the same shit happen between my partner and his family, but I have to just sit and bite my tongue. One weird phenomenon I have seen is that if you "fight someone's emotional battles" then they dont have to do it. And in the process of healing, your partner really will have to try and fight this battle.. at some point.. if he ever wants to separate himself from this hell. So.. I know its hard, but really try not to fight his emotional battles for him. Let him feel his feelings...

With respect to your kids tho - am wondering if this is the best person that you could choose to take care of your kids?? Do you have any other babysitting options? Dont let this woman's shit pass on to another generation, if you can!!

P

#56741 - 01/16/04 08:18 PM Re: Question.
wrangler Offline

Loc: Northern Virginia
This thread is a little old, but I haven't been around much lately so I missed it till tonight. But it is something that hits close to home for me. My exwife definately hated my abuser, and she was very vocal on that point. The thing she couldn't (or wouldn't) understand is that my feelings on the subject are not very clear. If I hated him he never would have been able to abuse me in the first place. Point is that at one time I felt very fond of him.

Then he started abusing me, and while I did not like that experience, I did not change from liking him to hating him. She only knows him as a man that added a lot of hardship to my life and ultimately our marraige. But I know much more about him, and because of that (and my pre-abuse relationship with him) it is very difficult to hate him.

So the result of my wifes rants about hating him were ultimately very insensitive to my own feelings and experiences. In fact, it became impossible to share some things with her because she had such a vigourous response to the idea that I could feel anything other than hate.

Eventually I imagine I will be in a place where I can genuinely understand all (or many) of the things I liked about him as lures designed to make me receptive to his advances. At that time I will probably enjoy the experience of hating him. But when my wife was trying to force me to see those things she was just icing our relationship and communication.

So my thoughts on this question are that the partners feelings of hate or disgust or whatever are appropriate and certainly valid, but that they may need an outlet other than the survivor. I know it is difficult to imagine a survivor feeling comppasion towards an abuser, but I think it is probably pretty common. And I think all of us know what it is like when someone we love hates something we like (or even think we like).

I think this is one of those aggraviting situations where the partner needs to be extra sensitive to the complex feelings in the survivor and perhaps find support and comraderie outside of the survivor-partner relationship. Some sort of support group perhaps.

On the other hand, if the survivor has already processed their feelings of affection for the abuser, then I say hate away. There aren't many things in this world that deserve honest hatred, but I think the people that prey on the trust of children deserve little but hate.

Wrangler

#56742 - 01/17/04 01:51 AM Re: Question.
Mia Offline

Loc: The Frozen Tundra
I think this is a good question. I'm glad somebody brought it back up into play. I don't hate my boyfriend's abusers. What's the point? I feel sorry for them, they're pathetic. What kind of sick pervert molests a little boy? What kind of trauma had to have happened to him to make him think the way he did? To my knowledge, pedophiles aren't born, they're pretty much "made". What kind of mother allows it to go on because she claims she was "afraid"? What kind of mother allows her family members to particpate before getting involved herself? It's sad, perverted, pathetic behavior but hating them for it would accomplish nothing. I'm glad they're both behind bars - their coup de grace (or however one spells it) was tying D to a bed at twelve and setting him on fire (sorry for any triggers this may cause). I could hate them for that, knowing the years of pain, therapy and surgery that followed for him, never mind the emotional turmoil, but hating them would serve no purpose. Instead, I pity them and know that their life in jail is a miserable one because child molesters are the lowest of the food chain behind bars. I hope their miserable and harassed every day for the rest of their lives, not to mention I'm sure they're going to rot in hell, but I can't hate them for what they did. They made their own beds and what goes around, comes around, if it hasn't already. Does that make sense?

#56743 - 01/17/04 08:36 PM Re: Question.
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
Mia
Yes, perfect sense to me........

Dave

#56744 - 01/18/04 04:42 PM Re: Question.
Pollyanna Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Missouri
"Pollyanna" has learned what "hate" feels like.

I guess that's what happens when you really "love" somebody as deeply as I do. It's no longer "someone else's" problem. Yeah, it probably doesn't do much good as far as the objects of the feeling are concerned, but it has changed ME---for the better. I realize I have to DO something.

I'm working on it.

Hugs,

Lynn

Anne Lamott

#56745 - 01/18/04 07:25 PM Re: Question.
SAR Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Lynn, do you mean that hating has made you a better person?

At first THAT didn't make any sense to me... just because the words look funny together... but I think that after feeling NOTHING, feeling anything, even hate, can, well, feel great. Motivate. Give you permission to feel more. Maybe it's not the place for everyone to start, but it's better than Nothing.

I really don't know if that's what you meant. Just what your post made me think.

Sar

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.