Newest Members
Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms
12369 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
freddie (65), Max10 (56), Medos (46), PJinLB (47), TheWookinizer (27), tofeno (40)
Who's Online
4 registered (highflight, 3 invisible), 17 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12369 Members
74 Forums
63580 Topics
444203 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#56197 - 07/23/03 08:47 PM Chemical Castration
Mike Church Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Toronto, Canada
I dont quite know how to start this cause it is causing me a lot of really big problems.

Most but not everytime I have a bad nightmare I wake up with an erection because I have to go to the bathroom. I think that it is this that causes the nightmare most of the time.

Also when I am awake and sort of having a flashback or remembering something that happened to me I get aroused and feel those old urges coming on. Same when I wake up after a nightmare.

This really scares the hell out of me because of my past history of re-enacting my abuse and life on the street.

I have discussed it with my Therapist and asked him if there was something to reduce my libido and he suggested the Clarke Institute and Chemical Castration. I guess it is some kind of drug.

I am frightened about the effects and would like to know more about it but I was afraid to ask. Also is it permanent? It is the same thing they give to criminals I think.

Help me guys I dont know what to do. Is there any other solution or something I could try.

I am so ashamed right now cause I hate being weak. But I really need some input

IT REALLY IS OK TO STUMBLE. NONE OF US ARE PERFECT.

#56198 - 07/23/03 09:04 PM Re: Chemical Castration
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
Mike
The forces used bromide during the war to keep the soldiers 'calm', but I have no idea what effects it has or whether it's still used.

Dave

#56199 - 07/23/03 09:31 PM Re: Chemical Castration
bec Offline

Loc: chicagoland area
dear Mikey:

be careful my friend. all medicines have side effects. some of which are mild and others severe. i know this from personal experience. so take it slowly and know all the possible harm before popping that first pill. good luck. sincerely,

bec

#56200 - 07/23/03 10:40 PM Re: Chemical Castration
Cement Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southern California
walk lightly in this area. I have no experience from which to speak, but do not hasten to do what may be very difficult to undo.

And erections are not about strength; they are about biology.

#56201 - 07/24/03 12:59 AM Re: Chemical Castration
dwf Offline
Moderator/BoD Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Austin, Texas USA
Mike,

I've had similar experiences--not exactly the same but in the same neighborhood.

Besides the waking up in the middle of the night with an erection, I would also become erect at very embarassing moments.

Of course, my reaction to all of this was influenced by the history of abuse.
I turned the embarassment in to shame.

It would happen in the dentists chair, with my male therapist, when I would be having a conversation with a good friend who was being especially kind, the worst was when some of my hetereosexual friends would reach out to me in a caring way; maybe a hug, or a pat on the back, sometimes just a kind word and I would get a hard-on.

The worst was that I seemed to get aroused when I cried or felt hurt. I convinced myself that it was because I was sexually aroused by hurt and pain. My T helped me see that was
wrong.

That turned out to be false and so were many of my other theories.

Mike, if you're going to start messing with that plumbing stuff down there, go and see a good plumber.

Go see a urologist. The therapist is good and worked well for the psychological, emotional part of it, but for the mechanics, get you a good urologist.

And even, then proceed cautiously.

Finally, what I discovered with the help of my therapist is that while I had some physical symptoms, the real source of most of my shame and discomfort was from the way I perceived what was happening.

I appreciate your courage and honesty, Mike, in bringing this to the discussion.
It's this sort of problem that lots of men have. And it's this sort of problem that can cause survivors of sexual abuse special anxiety and concern.

My good thoughts go with you, brother. It'll work out.

Your brother,

-Tony Joe White

#56202 - 07/24/03 05:20 PM Re: Chemical Castration
tallsteve Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Boston, MA
Hello Mike,

Thank you for sharing something so deep and painful in you with us.

Mike, you are most definitely not weak. It takes a strong man to be wiliing to admit his difficulties and consider a course of action. And too, puttting your situation in public here on the boards.

In your post you state that you "think" one thing causes another. In truth you do not know for sure.

Be sure to tell the doctor everything and I know it may be tough to do. It may hurt but you can do it.

Do not feel presurred to make a decision quickly.

Make sure you get all the information you need - side effects, long term implications, etc.

Explore and consider other alternatives.

Keep fears, facts and assumptions clear and separate.

Continue to ask for help.

Hugs,
Steve

#56203 - 07/24/03 11:03 PM Re: Chemical Castration
MEC Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NJ
Hi Mike,
Very courageous! I have some experience with self-medicating with those drugs. I can't honestly say why I took them, didn't want to become a woman, but I think it was because of self hate and of being a man. I didn't like the sexual side of being gay and hoped the pills would take the thoughts and libido away.

After about 3-4 weeks I lost the ability to have an erection but could still masturbate with some work. The ejaculate diminished considerably. Body hair will eventually be reduced, but breast development is a side effect if taken long enough.

In all honesty, I don't think I reduced my libido, but I stopped after like 4 months or so. Actually, because sexually I wanted to be less of a man, the libido was enhanced. So, maybe with your desire to do something admirable and healthy, it will have that effect both physically and psychologically.

Mail me if you have any other questions. I'm not an authority by any means, but I'll do my best to answer your questions if any. There's a transgender site i used to go to, dealing with m2f subjects, including antiandrogens
antiandrogens (spelling) you are talking about. I think that's what they're called. The website is hosted by a person using the title of Dr. and the advice is fairly clinical in nature.

This comes from that website http://www.annelawrence.com/regimens.html

A hormone regimen should also reduce testosterone to normal female levels. This usually requires adding an anti-androgen.

In persons who have not had an orchiectomy, reducing testosterone levels is also a concern. Although the desired reduction in testosterone can theoretically be accomplished with estrogen alone, the dosage required is usually in excess of what is needed for feminization. Adding an anti-androgen allows lower dosages of estrogen to be used; this is usually highly desirable. Typical dosages of anti-androgens are as follows:
Oral anti-androgens:

spironolactone (Aldactone®), 100-300 mg daily in divided doses; OR
cyproterone acetate (Androcur®), 100-150 mg daily.

Sometimes 100 mg of spironolactone may be sufficient, but 200–300 mg is a more typical dose. The Vancouver group uses up to 600 mg daily, apparently without problems. Spironolactone is fairly inexpensive, is readily available, and is usually quite well tolerated. Cyproterone is not available in the US, but is popular elsewhere. One of the disadvantages of cyproterone is that it counteracts some of the desirable effects of estrogen on blood lipids.
If you have access to laboratory testing, a serum testosterone level within the normal female range – about 5-85 ng/dl for total testosterone, or 0.1–2.2 pg/ml for free testosterone – is usually considered ideal. Within the female normal range, lower numbers are not necessarily better.

Good luck

#56204 - 07/24/03 11:29 PM Re: Chemical Castration
Marc Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Tucson, AZ
mike,

please don't take this wrong no matter WHAT it sounds like...

even male dogs get hard ons at the most inappropriate times. imho, there is absolutely nothing wrong with you for being this way. it is an involuntary response mechanism that some people can control better than others but i don't feel that chemical castration is an acceptable nor desirable alternative. i don't believe that it is even a necessary thing unless you are truly putting someone in danger. go easier on yourself guy. it's a part of you... and not something to be ashamed of... EVER! cc is not for a fear of shame but for the need to curtail dangerous sexual urges. are yours really that dangerous? are they dangerous to you or to someone else? there are PLENTY of things that you can take to lessen your frequency of erections that are quite safe including certain anti-depressants as we all know!

love yourself... sexuality is something that god gave us all to rejoice in... not fear. no one should have to fear it. work on the fear, not the symptom! \:\)

#56205 - 07/24/03 11:36 PM Re: Chemical Castration
MurrayNYC Offline
Past President
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York
Hi Mike
I am a psychiatrist and a MS Board Member. Chemical castration is a srious treatment usually reserved for sexual offenders. The drug most used is Lupron which inhibits the production of brain hormones that control the production of testosterone by the testicles. This does result in impotence and is reversible. But it seems like an extreme treatment that I would never recommend.
Antidepressants like Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft, Celexa, Effexor can reduce libido and also can cause delayed ejaculation, but not in every person. But they are effective not only as antidepressants but also as anti-anxiety meds which may be more helpful to you.
It would seem that this symptom needs to be tempered so that you could work through the problems that provoke it rather than dimming down your sex drive, which is a reaction to your anxiety and a common reaction. Reducing sex drive will not really help with that and being impotent will not likely make you feel better about yourself.
Obivously these ideas should not be taken as recommendations for treatment since I do not know you and cannot give that kind of advice. But I felt you should know what medications are available and what they could offer.

#56206 - 07/24/03 11:56 PM Re: Chemical Castration
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
Mikey

I am sorry I can't add anything to the discussion except to wish you the quickest and safest route to your peace and well-being.

Ron

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.