Newest Members
mossTI, E35, 1975, Lucy, StacyR
12337 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
1 registered (GT13568), 20 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12337 Members
74 Forums
63422 Topics
443382 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#56143 - 07/22/03 06:40 PM Re: My term paper - Reclaiming Healthy Touch
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
Don
It's so good to hear a Survivor sing his own praises, have faith and confidence in what he does.

How much of a contrast is that to the Don of a few years back ? I didn't know you then, but I would bet serious money that you didn't have the self esteem and self worth to say, and genuinly believe, such words as you say now.

Our past is never going to dissapear, our hurt will follow us. But we can become the master of that hurt.

Survivors like you show us all the way.

Dave

#56144 - 07/22/03 06:59 PM Re: My term paper - Reclaiming Healthy Touch
MrDon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Deltona, FL
Wow, me confident... hmmm,,,, really? wow... I still see me as being a scared me that just don't know when to stop taking risks. But maybe you all have a good point here.. I've got to try and lock this stuff in and see if my brain will absorb it.

Don

The Mind Body Thoughts Blog
http://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com/

Check out my relaxing piano music from the heart!
http://www.donshetterly.com

#56145 - 07/22/03 07:46 PM Re: My term paper - Reclaiming Healthy Touch
Cement Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southern California
Yay Don!

I have always looked up to your commitment and level of work. Nice job...

I do not mean to hijack the post, but I just realized, in regard to healthy touching, that I always feel like I want to be touched, but I am rarely comfortable when actually being touched. Except in a massage...hmmmm

Peace,
James

#56146 - 07/23/03 01:14 AM Re: My term paper - Reclaiming Healthy Touch
MrDon Offline
MaleSurvivor

James
I had to hunt for this post and finally found it again. Ugh!

I feel the same way about touch. As I said in my presentation last night, all my body knew was pain, hurt and rejection. It did not know what healthy touch was all about. I am getting much better at receiving touch but there are times even though I want touch, my body rejects it. I guess for me it is still a retraining issue. My abusers took so much away from me regarding touch, and I am bound and determined to get it back.

As soon as school is done, I will be going further with this personally and professionally because I realize that my healing now needs to come from within the body. I've worked on the "mind" all these years, but have neglected the body. Time for that to change now.

Don

#56147 - 07/23/03 07:14 AM Re: My term paper - Reclaiming Healthy Touch
guy43 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minnesota
Don,

Your journey through life and what you've shared along the way here on the forums has been encouraging to me. Through all the ups and downs. It's great to see a survivor building (re-building?) his life along lines of his choosing!

I've read your paper and plan on sharing it with a cousin, a massage therapist. I suspect she may share it with some of her clients who are survivors. It really helps to have the "touch" boundaries and possible triggers and mind/body connections written in black and white.

So you left them speachless... wow, what a tribute and validation for you Don.

jer

#56148 - 07/23/03 08:41 AM Re: My term paper - Reclaiming Healthy Touch
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
Don,

Thank you for a great perspective. Your paper is certainly consciouness expanding, and viewpoint that would be valuable to anyone who practices this art and science.

I think it should be included in some type of medical journal, though I really don't know much about such things.

Congratulations on bringing important knowledge and praxis to the world.

Also, regarding "finding a recent post", for those who are not aware, on the MaleSurvivor Discussion Board" page (see above) there is a url called "Active topics". If you click on that it will take you to a list of current topics being discussed, over the last day or two. I like this function because it makes it easier to follow recent additions to new threads.

Thanks again Don

#56149 - 07/25/03 12:43 PM Re: My term paper - Reclaiming Healthy Touch
MrDon Offline
MaleSurvivor

I have had other instructors at school wanting a copy of the paper because word is getting around about the subject. And ones that are reading it, are loving it. They have pretty much shared the views that I have read here.

Ok, one of my survivor traits about myself is that I don't see the good I do when I do things. I merely thought this was a paper but didn't really believe I captured everything I wanted to and so I downplayed it in my mind, thinking it isn't that great. Part of it, I thought I'm not really giving any information that can't be put together by anyone so it is no big deal. So I played these negative tapes over and over and over.

But you know what something funny is happening. When I got done with the presentation, everyone honored me by clapping for several minutes and many people in my class not only gave me hugs, but gave me some very nice and sincere compliments. ON top of that, several instructors wanted a copy and have heard about my presentation and after reading it, said "that is your passion in life". Then I've heard the comments here about the impact it had. One friend of mine in class said "you know, I've never thought about any of this stuff in the way you presented it and now I will at least be aware of it".

So I guess if popular opinion says one thing and my negative tapes say another, than I need to really look at how I view what I do. I know all my life, I've had the negative tapes and I never did anything that was good enough when I was a kid. But just maybe the ones that were fuk'd up wasn't me, but it was my father, my brother, the church.

And this message rings loud and true for what I am going into. Because I often think my massages are so so, nothing great and yet I think I am doing the same thing that I did with this paper. Downplaying the entire thing with negativity. I'm getting more and more scared as we are almost done with school and we will be out in the real world. And what I think I have to do is believe in myself if 10 out of 10 people believe in me, than maybe I'm listening to the wrong voices.

I think this paper has served as a wake up call and said, hey there Don, you don't do things half way, and you aren't doing a sloppy job and you really do a great job and have an impact in life on others. Maybe I should just start listening to that. So when I go into my student clinic tomorrow, I'm going to try and remember the lesson of this paper and that is to believe that I am much better than what my father, brother and the church told me was when I was a kid. What a concept! What a thought!

I am so glad everyone shared what you did here because I might have gone on believing that this was just something that wasn't much of anything.

Don

#56150 - 07/25/03 03:00 PM Re: My term paper - Reclaiming Healthy Touch
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
Don

Quote:
Part of it, I thought I'm not really giving any information that can't be put together by anyone so it is no big deal. So I played these negative tapes over and over and over.
Am I ever with you on this--you are strummin' my pain, dude. The truth is, that sure anybody could take the same info you gathered, but not everyone could synthesize the info into a remarkable, quoteable piece of information such as you did. That's called YOUR "style".

Your work is not "better than", but just as good as the next effective "teachable moment" coming down the pike. It is worthy of the world's attention, because it raises our consciousness and therefore our understanding of this art and science, at the same time enriching all of our lives.

Isn't it great to not have to be neither less than nor greater than, but simply be "able" to contribute the best we have to offer.

You got it brother, in a big way. Good luck with future work, theoretical and practical.

Ron

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.