Newest Members
Xr2, clt, Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung
12371 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
drivejoepublic (44), eagle299 (43), H18 (21), JJJ (43), mariposaman (63), SevenTwoTwo76 (39), TexAgMan (37), waiter (44), wgwarch (55)
Who's Online
4 registered (CafeMan, fhorns, Obi, Damian1974), 76 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12371 Members
74 Forums
63585 Topics
444228 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#56133 - 07/20/03 02:16 AM My term paper - Reclaiming Healthy Touch
MrDon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Deltona, FL
My term paper is all finished, my presentation is all complete and of course it will be presented in class on Monday 7/21. I've created a pdf file on my website with the paper and the presentation in it. If you want to read it, you are more than welcome to take a look at it. Even though you aren't all massage therapists, I know there is plenty that can be learned because it is actually about my journey to reclaiming healthy touch.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts after you read it.

Link: http://www.tropicalhands.com/school/emeralds/Research%20Paper/Reclaiming%20Healthy%20Touch.pdf

Don

The Mind Body Thoughts Blog
http://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com/

Check out my relaxing piano music from the heart!
http://www.donshetterly.com

#56134 - 07/20/03 03:20 AM Re: My term paper - Reclaiming Healthy Touch
WhyMe Offline

Don

Congratulations on a job well done!

Your paper is put together very well, is very informative, and easy to follow.

You presented a lot of things I didn't know, or never thought of before. It does sound like something we could all benefit from.

Good luck on your presentation Monday! ;\)

WhyMe

#56135 - 07/20/03 02:32 PM Re: My term paper - Reclaiming Healthy Touch
MrDon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks for your comments and it will give me a boost tomorrow when I give the presentation.

There is indeed so much to learn in all of this.

Don

#56136 - 07/20/03 05:13 PM Re: My term paper - Reclaiming Healthy Touch
ScottyTodd Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Pennsylvania
Don - I just read your paper and need to congratulate you on your easy writing style (easy reading) and the dirth of knowledge you share in the paper. Your clinical de>

#56137 - 07/20/03 06:17 PM Re: My term paper - Reclaiming Healthy Touch
Mike Church Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Toronto, Canada
Don. What can I say. Wow!!. I am really intersted in going down that road now.

Please let us know how the presentation went. I am going to look up your references and learn more about this topic.

P.S. What a gift you have for simple eloquence. ;\)

IT REALLY IS OK TO STUMBLE. NONE OF US ARE PERFECT.

#56138 - 07/20/03 07:37 PM Re: My term paper - Reclaiming Healthy Touch
chuck Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: mid atlantic
Don,

I read your paper and it was helpful. I am working on healthy touch with my wife. I am trying to communicate to her what I am feeling by her touching me in a non sexual manner. Your paper helps me to understand why I am having difficulty explaining to her what my feelings are. I get upset with myself, because there are certain areas on my body I can't describe why I have no feelings, but your paper gives me some insights that I can share with my wife and my T.

Thanks.

Chuck

#56139 - 07/20/03 08:31 PM Re: My term paper - Reclaiming Healthy Touch
MrDon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thank you all so much for what you have said. I may print this out and take it with me so that I read it to myself before the presentation.

The book compassionate touch explains a lot and I think it is a great book. As soon as I get done with school, I want to reread the book (not taking notes this time) and absorb more of what is in it.

Once again, thanks guys for your comments. They truly make a differance with me on this.

Don

#56140 - 07/20/03 08:55 PM Re: My term paper - Reclaiming Healthy Touch
dwf Offline
Moderator/BoD Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Austin, Texas USA
Don,

Thank you so much for so generously sharing your presentation with me. I've read it and intend to share it the next time I go for massageor physical therapy.

You are an excellent writer. Very good information, presented clearly and with compassion.

Your compassion and love is so evident in your sharing this with me and all the guys at MS. It's something I've never known much about.

I've had lots of physical therapy over the years, but have never able to be open and honest with the therapist, masseur to let him/her know about the trauma of sexual abuse.

Your presentation will be really useful for me when I start some body work for releasing the trauma of the abuse. I really need it.
And you just made it easier for me to find it.

It's kind of coincidental that I just started going through the 12 Step Program book by Timothy Sanders. He really advocates getting teams of people/resources to help survivors like me deal with the effects of child sexual abuse. He outlines 6 life areas that have been affected and need special attention.

Here's what he says for the Physical area:

"Physical: Licensed body or massage therapist, martial arts instructor, physical therapist....." "Establishing and strengthening the mind/body connection gives you the power and energy to do the work of Recovery in other Life Areas."

Sounds like a pretty important thing to work on, since it can affect how I am able to deal with the rest of my life.

This is one of the areas in which I have not been able to get much going on. All my resources go to doctors and medical people who are trying to kill diseases.

I think your work is also what I need, because it is about healing the body. The insight is really helpful!
What a great gift you are giving to your fellow students and faculty with this. By being willing to share your personal experience, you are giving the message about male sexual abuse in a way that few of us can.

I know that what you so courageously share in this paper has the potential to be of comfort and assistance to many other survivors.

Way to go, Don! Your success is already assured!

Tomorrow will be the victory lap!

With admiration and gratitude,

-Tony Joe White

#56141 - 07/22/03 09:35 AM Re: My term paper - Reclaiming Healthy Touch
MrDon Offline
MaleSurvivor

My presentation went very well. I got to be lucky and went first. Others in my class were not prepared well at all and went way over the time we were allowed. This made me look a little better as I hit the right amount of time and everyone was very moved by the presentation. Everyone was very quiet and speechless at the end. Hopefully this will translate into a very good grade.

Again, thank you all for your support and your comments. It really helps me because it is often hard for me to see the impact of a project like this. Some where along the way, I think I silence the voices when they tell me I did a good job. So your comments helped to awaken them and give them a much louder voice.

Don

#56142 - 07/22/03 09:40 AM Re: My term paper - Reclaiming Healthy Touch
Mike Church Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Toronto, Canada
Don.
It is great to hear how your presentation went. Does a lot for the old self esteem thing doesn't it. Times like this are to be cherished and believe me there will be plenty more to come.

IT REALLY IS OK TO STUMBLE. NONE OF US ARE PERFECT.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.