Newest Members
Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms
12369 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aleja (40), bc22 (47), DavidMI (40), Forrest_Gump (39), Jay1946 (68), Malc4 (29), mpm01 (49), widpaulman (43)
Who's Online
3 registered (focusedbody, Jay1946, 1 invisible), 13 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12369 Members
74 Forums
63578 Topics
444188 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#54116 - 03/13/06 10:15 PM Re: Wish me luck and a bit of work related info that might help.
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
Mark
As a fellow UNISON member and one time shop steward I know that the Union takes depression very seriously, as should any decent employer.

I also think that honesty is by far the best way to deal with these kind of problems, bullshitting won't wash.
I work for a major utility ( water ) company and they just crap themselves when stress or depression is mentioned incase the employee say's it's job related.
My manager knows about my history and about my depressive times, we work together to make everything go as smoothly as possible for both of us. But I'm lucky to have a good manager at the moment, the last one was an arse who just got on my case. But in the end I won through because I never once bullshitted him or made excuses.

Dave

#54117 - 03/13/06 11:23 PM Re: Wish me luck and a bit of work related info that might help.
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Mark,

Just another point that I thought of. There is such a lot of prejudice in society where emotional conditions are concerned. And as Dave's comments illustrate, employers get allergic to all this real fast because of the costs involved in time off and therapy.

But look at it this way. Suppose you had been badly injured in an accident and had to have x amount of time off for recovery and physiotherapy. Can you imagine either your employer questioning your physician's verdicts or you accepting such nonsense? I bet I know the answer!

Why should it be any different where depression is concerned?

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#54118 - 03/14/06 02:50 PM Re: Wish me luck and a bit of work related info that might help.
mark250676 Offline

Loc: England
People just seem to find it so much more difficult to accept. Something happened between the two meetings which I think demonstrates this. At the first meeting with HR I was nervous because I wasn't sure what would happen. Due to the short notice I din't take a unison rep, I will from now on!

When I meet the occupational health doctor yesterday she said that it had been reported by HR that I was abusing alcohol as I had been shaking in the interview. I started to get angry and explain that it may have been a coping mechaism in the past, years ago, but even if I wanted it to be now it couldn't becuase my citolapram has totally lowered by alcohol tolerance and I'm sick after about two pints. The doctor said she thought the remark was strange but felt HR made it in my best interests!

HR weren't qualified to make this remark and if they were concerned should have mentioned it then! I felt so angry but also feel vunerable so don't want to make enemies at the moment. But I just think it highlights the way people seem to deal with depression!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.