Newest Members
Jerone, teba, Serpenta, mojo, James M
12114 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
chrisH (34), Malaki619 (32), worcester2003 (51)
Who's Online
7 registered (pufferfish, Cam76, lapchinj, 4 invisible), 66 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12114 Members
73 Forums
62510 Topics
438081 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#5374 - 08/16/03 11:25 AM Survivor Resource
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
Friends

I wanted to share a resource that I came across recently. It may be new info to some of you. I know it has helped me a lot since discovering it.

Sexual Abuse of Males: Prevalence, Possible Lasting Effects and Resources

This web page is authored by Jim Hopper PhD and many of his resources cite Mike Lew, Mic Hunter and Peter Dimock. Those are names I most recognize.

The article I wanted to share was the one by David Lisak PhD. If you go to the resource page mentioned above then click on the Recommended Books and Articles link to access David PDF research article :

The psychological impact of sexual abuse: Content analysis of interviews with male survivors [warning, 2 megabyte PDF]. Journal of Traumatic Stress, 7, 525-548.

I hope you find it incredibly helpful.

Ron

#5375 - 08/16/03 03:09 PM Re: Survivor Resource
outis Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Maryland USA
Ron,

I was writing on my laptop today that I'm about one year on now. I didn't keep track when I started this, but I know it was about this time last year. I hit the old nomsv.org web site on August 19. My local copy of the PDF is dated from the wee hours of the morning, August 20, 2002.

This file was a tremendous help for me in getting past denial. I actually felt that I could have written some of the responses in there, and even half wondered if I did and had supressed the memory of participating in the survey.

I can't overemphasize how helpful it was for me to read these. I couldn't even register and post on the boards here, or post to alt.sexual.abuse.recovery.moderated I was so scared. I could lurk and read, but I didn't even have to tie up the phone to go through this document again and again. I did exactly that for many nights last August and September.

jimhopper.com is a great site. I found a lot of good information there. I read the book reviews there when I started shopping for books specific to recovery for male survivors of sexual abuse. I bought all my books with cash, no identifying discount cards.

If anyone hasn't ever seen either of these resources, please do yourself a favor and check them out.

Thanks, Ron, for pointing them out.

Joe

#5376 - 08/16/03 05:31 PM Re: Survivor Resource
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
Terrific link Ron, it's a site I've used a lot for my counsellor training and my recovery.

Thanks for linking it.

Dave

#5377 - 08/17/03 08:30 PM Re: Survivor Resource
MS Admin Offline
Webmaster
MaleSurvivor

David's article is available on our web site as well. Please visit the other helpful pages here for survivors and professionals.

Please read the faq's for answers to the most commonly asked questions.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.