Newest Members
Francis Xavier, JLB, MrsC, wraphd, blufish
12438 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dannyboy22 (31), ScorpioBlue (45), Wife - Survivor (70)
Who's Online
6 registered (pete1973, Bloom, TW16, 3 invisible), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12438 Members
74 Forums
63856 Topics
445875 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#51326 - 03/09/03 03:04 PM Just started therapy
one_day_at_a_time Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Hi All,
I decided to start therapy about 1.5 months ago. After having to deal with all of the many problems that I feel I have, that could be related to my abuse, I decided to go. When I am in therapy it just seems so hard for me to tap into the emotions that are tied into my abuse. I cant understand why I feel nothing when I talk about it. Its like its buried so far down and I dont know what to do about it. My therapist and I are now starting to mentally go back and revisit the place it happened and I am hoping that this helps bring back some emotion. Anyone else have any luck with this???Or anyone have the same problem??? Thanks for your help guys

now I just need to find myself

#51327 - 03/09/03 03:23 PM Re: Just started therapy
michaelb Offline

Loc: cincinnati, ohio
Welcome.....i too have had a hard time expressing emotions during therapy sessions...but sometimes, like the last 3 days for me, the floodgates just open and i cannot control or stop the crying....the guys here advise me that crying is a good thing, though it is so gut-wrenching that i do not think i can bear it.....when i started therapy a couple of years ago, it took awhile before i could release emotions, so do not be alarmed...the internal pain and emotions will surface, unfortunately.....but people say that it helps you release things, i'm unsure.....i just know it hurts like hell.....best of luck in your recovery journey.....if you need help, we are here....michael

#51328 - 03/09/03 03:58 PM Re: Just started therapy
Wuamei Offline

Loc: The left turn I should have ta...
One Day At A Time:

I refer you to the thread "Hi questions & all" at:

http://www.malesurvivor.org/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001636

Lots of links there to other threads about different kinds & aspects of therapy.

Hope some of it helps.

Victor

#51329 - 03/09/03 05:19 PM Re: Just started therapy
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
Feeling our emotions once again is the best thing we do, I'm sure of it.

It doesn't matter when it happens, I'd been in therapy for about a year before I cried and really experienced some powerful emotion.
It was the emotion I should have felt as the frightened kid I was, but was too scared to let it happen at the time. I have no problem feeling, and enjoying, them now.

Just reading your posts here makes me emotional, Michael's because he's found his and One Days' because he searching for them, keep looking - they're there. And don't deny them there rightful place. Enjoy them, it's the expression of release.

Dave

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.