Okay so a week goes by after my accident. Had to drive my daughter to Boston-Logan Airport for an early morning flight. That's a 3 hour drive each way, from home. On my way home, still 2 hours away, my wife's car breaks down. I'm no mechanic, but it sounds like the transmission. Of course only the most expensive repairs for me! I look thru the booklet in the glove box which tells me that the warrantee on the transmission is 5 years/60,000 miles. I'm just over 5 years, and 98,000 miles. Well, this is more like the life that I'm used to.

I call roadside assistance to get the car towed to the nearest Nissan dealer 22 miles away. What? They only cover towing up to 15 miles, so they charge me $3/mile for the 7 mile difference. That was what I set aside to buy gas for the rest of the way home. Whatever.

After sitting for 2 hours at the dealership, a portly guy wearing a polo with the dealership logo on it comes out and tells me "yeah, its the transmission, $4,000".... beautiful...no way can I afford that! Now what?!? But wait! Next he tells me that Nissan just extended the warrantee on this transmission to 10 years/120,000 miles. SO THEY WILL FIX IT AT NO CHARGE No F**ing way! Um, okay....but they need a week to get the new transmission and put it in. I'm stranded here 120 miles from home. But wait! Next he tells me that the warrantee covers a week's worth of rental car so he's got a new Nissan Sentra waiting for me to take home. I drive off but I'm short of cash and afraid that I won't have enough gas to make it home. But wait! ITS GOT A TANKFUL OF GAS. WTF?!?...Weird.

(What is the opposite of self-pity?)
Weep not for the memories
Sarah McLachlan