Okay this one is for the chaps who particularly like reading.

For me, books are next to oxygen, (I can substitute audiodramas for books though not tv), and these days books, along with music and occasionally games are pretty much the best experiences I have in life.

One thing I have noticed is that I'm one of the few people who can still find while rereading that I mostly get the same pleasure as previously, indeed sometimes a different pleasure.

For most people however the Suck fairy see here for details often goes in and pollutes a formally loved book, either by just making a person think it was a dire read the second time around, (ie in American parlence it sucks), or by having the reader notice different things such as tropes and cliches, racist, sexist or homophobic passages, or authorially intended messages.

For me, most of this doesn't often apply. I notice! things like racism and sexism (especially sexism), and homophobia, but often I can just separate out my moral outrage from my enjoyment, much as I would do when having a debate with someone with whom I disagreed but for whom I had an incredible respect, indeed often I find that I am opposed for those who constantly look for some sort of authorial message or intention in books and forget the actual, ---- well enjoyment of the story! (I've said before how i dislike the opinion people have that Lewis was specifically just trying to teach christianity to children in the narnia books rather than as he said himself simply happened to include christian elements because they were part of who he was).

Tropes and cliches I do find a little harder when I notice them, though mostly because it makes the books and characters feel predictable and less real to me.

The one fairy I have the most trouble with is one that Jo Walton doesn't mention at all in her list and one which I suspect is unique to abuse survivers, the "what's so bad! fairy"

To illustrate, I recently started listening again to some doctor who audio dramas I'd first heard in 2007. One was entitled Shadow of the Scourge, and involves the Doctor (and a hotel full of guests), confronting a race from another dimention called the Scourge who literally embody human misery and fear.

First time through, it was awsome! the Scourge were dam scary, and I loved the moment when Ace, the Doctor's assistant got together a resistance who forced the scourge to retreat by having the hotel guests first relate how their life's problems weren't really problems, and then chant "Get out of our heads! get out of our world!"

The problem? Second time through, the "what's so bad! fairy" had done her thing, and I looked at the problems these hotel guests had, the problems that let them be taken over by these creatures who supposedly embody human anguish and what do I find?

A woman who is afraid to tell her boyfriend that she's pregnant. A man who has embezzled money from a craft conference he was organizing. Another man who is having an affair because his mariage to his wife has lost all meaning, and a woman who has been playing a fake spiritualist medium in hopes to do some good but has no psychic powers at all!

Even Ace herself, what is her great source of misery? That the Doctor doesn't trust her.

I looked at these petty little problems that supposedly were being used by the scourge to torment these people and thought, for gods sake! I'd love! any of those problems in deference to what I have.

Of course, with good authors, and my most favourite books the What's so bad! fairy has no power at all, sinse hay it's not hard to see that Harry Potter or Frodo are quite justified in reacting as they do to what they go through, and I still find it a source of strength that they do survive, but I am finding this a problem in several books, indeed some that are not rereads but first reads.

yes I know, all suffering is relative, don't play misery poker, everyone has their own problems (accept people who don't), but I do wish this wasn't spoiling my reading!