Newest Members
Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty, Pytbull, manipulated, donmarks
12383 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alan Fountain (52), blindpet (31), egoror (49), Midas (33), uwa (78)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12383 Members
74 Forums
63646 Topics
444506 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#47751 - 06/29/03 05:06 PM TOPICS
Mike Church Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Toronto, Canada
This thread is in addition to the one I started called What helps me-Night Terrors

I want you all to list the topics that you think would be beneficial to give you some alternatives to what is not working

I will start

Night Terrors, dreams -etc (already started)

Flashbacks

Then when we have them all together for each thread I will undertake to put them someplace within easy reach of everyone.

Poor Me's

IT REALLY IS OK TO STUMBLE. NONE OF US ARE PERFECT.

#47752 - 06/29/03 07:47 PM Re: TOPICS
Nathan LaChine Offline
Webmaster
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Washington State
Ok Mike so I assume that we what post what we would like help with or an answer to in this thread right? Ok then here is something that is small and stupied. Found any tricks to being able to go the bathroom when othe rpeople are around you? Cause I sure as hell have to go to a stall to pee or wait tell they leave before I can go pee. So fi anyone's found any tricks that work please make a thread.

lots of love, Nathan

#47753 - 06/30/03 12:02 AM Re: TOPICS
dwf Offline
Moderator/BoD Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Austin, Texas USA
Unreasonable fear of disease from any sexual contact.

No matter how safe I am in sexual relations, and sometimes I have not been, I invariably end up with an obsessive fear of illness--a shameful type of disease--sort of like a punishment.

I have not been able to have any type of sexual intimacy in over 2 years. I miss that part of my life terribly. Maybe this is just a symptom of a deeper problem.

Any suggestions on taking the punishment out of being ill?

Or how to take thoughts of illness out of sex?

Thanks for the thread, Mike.

-Tony Joe White

#47754 - 06/30/03 12:08 AM Re: TOPICS
godsrabbit Offline

what about some positive threads for sharing brighter thoughts:

what am i grateful for?

coping methods?

goals for the week?

who can/do you go to when you need support?

\:\)

#47755 - 06/30/03 10:00 AM Re: TOPICS
Mike Church Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Godsrabbit what a great idea. Goals for the week. I think that everyone can have something to say in that area.

You are right about the positive side. We have to think beyond the current pain.

So come guys some more ideas please

AAAAAWWWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

#47756 - 06/30/03 10:19 AM Re: TOPICS
uncertain Offline

How about tips in dealing with combatting startle reflex?

The urinating problem "shy bladder" in public bathrooms is a good one too.

#47757 - 06/30/03 10:34 AM Re: TOPICS
dwf Offline
Moderator/BoD Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Austin, Texas USA
Dear fellow members, Mikey, godsrabbit,

You are so right in having these TOPICS categories.

Being grateful, having goals with a positive thrust are always good things to have. Thanks, godsrabbit, for that suggestion.

So much is about the matter of balance, don't you think?

But to me there is no less importance in examining our "problems"; our "weaknesses" or our difficulties and their solutions as Mike proposed.

My experience is that my difficulties are what brings me closer to being ready to ask for and receive help.

A close examination of my "faults" with a loving spirit and mutual support is infinitely valuable.

It is in my time of need, the moments when I feel lacking that my heart is most ready to learn and accept.

I have a nasty habit of only bringing out what I think will please or cause others to like me.
I'm pretty good at selectively showing only those parts of me that make me look normal, well-adjusted and not needing any help or assistance.

That part of me that seems weak or unsuitable, like the part of me that represents the child that was abused, seems only fit for the trash--worthless, a problem, something to be ignored in favor of brighter, more appealing aspects.

I cannot dispose of or ignore that part of me any longer. It is surely as precious a part of me as any other, God-given and deserving of attention and love.

Wallowing around in problems can be a distraction and a waste of time. But a thoughtful, loving examination of my character flaws can help me learn the acceptance of myself that I so desperately need.

Wishing only to offer what may help us to recover, I would humbly suggest that these are not two diametrically opposed TOPICS. They are the sides of a coin. One cannot exist without the other; we cannot value one more than the other.

Learning about and loving my "problems" is what makes them change into solutions. Not painting a happy face on them for more acceptable consumption.

A poorly remembered adage: "When you take a tumble on the road of life, look not where you fall, but where you stumbled."

If this sounds confrontational or critical in any way, please disregard and give me the benefit of a doubt. I'm really struggling with some parts of me that I don't like very much--and it hurts.

Thanks for all that you share with me,

Regards, your brother,

-Tony Joe White

#47758 - 06/30/03 10:53 AM Re: TOPICS
Mike Church Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Danny thanks for the post. Not confrontational at all. Now do me a favour. Give some things you would like under What works for Me and that you and others could use as a reference point and source of things you could do. These will be for everyone not just the few.

You are young by my yardstick and I really want to know your issues. The reason is that some of us have had or are having the same issues and can actually help by posting what works for them. These threads then become sort of a check lists of things each and everyone of us can try if we are having a real problem with it.

So come on guys. Give me the Good, the bad and the ugly topics so we can start threads.

They will all begin with What Works for Me - etc so that there will be a quick reference point for us to access and where we can point the newbies once they are comfortabe and made welcome here

#47759 - 06/30/03 12:43 PM Re: TOPICS
godsrabbit Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by dwf:
A close examination of my "faults" with a loving spirit and mutual support is infinitely valuable.

It is in my time of need, the moments when I feel lacking that my heart is most ready to learn and accept.

I cannot dispose of or ignore that part of me any longer. It is surely as precious a part of me as any other, God-given and deserving of attention and love.

Wallowing around in problems can be a distraction and a waste of time. But a thoughtful, loving examination of my character flaws can help me learn the acceptance of myself that I so desperately need.

Learning about and loving my "problems" is what makes them change into solutions. Not painting a happy face on them for more acceptable consumption.
danny,

thank you for sharing this...

i think it is true, often we struggle to be pleasant...and if it is false, it is not necessarily useful to our healing...i agree with you that it is not opposition, but balance...neither focus on the negative, nor paste on the positive, but try to acheive a sense of safety in topics which both challenge and uplift us...

#47760 - 06/30/03 01:04 PM Re: TOPICS
BT Offline

Loc: Chicago IL
Any ideas to help with Intamcy and a healthy sexual relationship with wife/spouse/partner would be helpful for me right now.

Also seen a couple of other guys talk about and it is the same with me dealing with fantasy, flash back whatever of still haveing sex with my perp and enjoying it. That is a real problem with the shame and guilt with me. At the same time I want to kill them but that is another topic all together.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.