Newest Members
scorpus, anitab, NEGuy, Adaylight, lookingforhealin
12698 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Bill (43), dbno (48), GeneInAzle (53), Ischyros (54), lungfish (48), Maverick (55), michael0555 (30)
Who's Online
4 registered (don64, Jim1961, tbkkfile, 1 invisible), 20 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12698 Members
75 Forums
65295 Topics
456612 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#473599 - 12/15/14 04:57 PM help for male rape in Army system
ninjasm Offline

I haven't yet disclosed to the Army Behavioral Health that I was raped by a man as an adult several years before joining the service.

I need help - don't know where else to go - I really don't care what they think... but am afraid that they will either shrug it off since "men do not get raped" or that their training and experience will have not prepared them.

Any thoughts from the Army guys?

#473601 - 12/15/14 05:31 PM Re: help for male rape in Army system [Re: ninjasm]
newground Offline
Chatroom Moderator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: michigan
hey bud
I have spoken to some of the guys who were raped while on active duty. the mental health professionals in the military do have experience in that area as it happens unfortunately more than you might think. do be careful as you approach a caregiver though you still need to find a comfortable person to work with and only you can decide who that is. after you have a level of trust then you should be able to tell how much they can handle. the training should not be too much of an issue

#473603 - 12/15/14 06:21 PM Re: help for male rape in Army system [Re: ninjasm]
Chase Eric Offline
MaleSurvivor

Could an option be to start with the confidence of a military chaplain? He/she may be more delicate with handling the information, and may provide a more sensitive and diplomatic way to phrase your concerns to military health officials.

Click my pic to see why I'm here.

#473628 - 12/16/14 10:38 AM Re: help for male rape in Army system [Re: ninjasm]
ninjasm Offline

This is honestly kicking my ass. I was just diagnosed bipolar and OCD... what a crappy mix with just uncovering awful suppressed memories. It is pretty stupid that I just came out of inpatient and it'll be over a month between then and sitting down with a professional for more than 10 minutes.

The chaplain is a good idea - until they bring religion into the mix... they are not supposed to if you are not religious - but most of them have troubles not doing that.

#473629 - 12/16/14 10:54 AM Re: help for male rape in Army system [Re: ninjasm]
Chase Eric Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: ninjasm
The chaplain is a good idea - until they bring religion into the mix... they are not supposed to if you are not religious - but most of them have troubles not doing that.

Perhaps so. But understanding that as a possibility is not a reason to assume it will be so. It will not hurt to go through a chaplain - the worst that will happen is you get nowhere with them and you will still have all of the choices in front of you that you have right now.

Click my pic to see why I'm here.

#473807 - 12/20/14 03:16 AM Re: help for male rape in Army system [Re: ninjasm]
don64 Online   content
MaleSurvivor

Loc: St. Croix, USVI
Hey Guys,

The issue to me seems to be a pre-existing condition.

Hi ninjasm,

I'm sorry you are feeling a little helpless right now. I get you say you don't care what they think, but also you need to know what your options are. I think the chaplain is an excellent idea. Chaplains are supposed to have a great deal of training in knowing how to find the right referral sources. And, I would hope a chaplain would have some discretion. It seems to me to be a great idea to get a feel for what the Army's policy on pre-existing mental health issues is, just so you don't add unnecessary surprises to your already challenging issues.

Sending you love and support,

Don

p.s. I'm not military, but son of military. I had a very surprisingly great experience with a Marine Corps psychiatrist 46 years ago when I was in big trouble coming out as a gay man. I was still a dependent. I wouldn't begin to remember that my father was one of my abusers for another 34 years.

Edited by don64 (12/20/14 03:17 AM)
Divine Law is not judgment or denial of self truths. Divine Law is honoring harmony that comes from a peaceful mind, an open heart, a true tongue, a light step, a forgiving nature, and a love of all living creatures. Jamie Sams & David Carson, Medicine Cards

#473814 - 12/20/14 08:18 AM Re: help for male rape in Army system [Re: ninjasm]
Bardo Offline

Ninja,
I am 25 years Navy, recently retired. I had not realized my issues until after I retired, so I could not avail myself of the resources available. But I do know that the chaplain is a gatekeeper to the mental health system, and that they will be willing to hear your issues. And the religion thing should not be an issue. If it is, go find another chaplain or mention your thoughts on the subject. I just had a discussion with my counselor yesterday, who sits on the board of MS, and he said that MS has been meeting with the military folks and they even presented at the last MS conference this fall. He also said that the military does have programs right now that are working for folks like us. Having said that, it is the military, so they are guaranteed to make it harder than it needs to be. I think the key word for you is trauma. They will key in on that. Best of luck, and you will find your way through this maze.

Freeman
As the battles raged higher

And though we were hurt so bad
In the fear and alarm
You did not desert me
My brothers in arms

-Mark Knopfler

#474031 - 12/25/14 02:18 PM Re: help for male rape in Army system [Re: ninjasm]
iaccus Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Idaho
i agree with what he said, talk to your chaplain and see what he says. They are often the first line in the chain.

#478885 - 03/12/15 04:27 PM Re: help for male rape in Army system [Re: ninjasm]
gramps=53 Offline

Loc: USA
been there it happen to me in 79 and just told them this year

#482249 - 05/14/15 10:33 PM Re: help for male rape in Army system [Re: ninjasm]
Dude Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Fort Smith, AR
I agree with the chaplain idea. In 96, when I was in the army, I started having issues and went to the chaplain. In 98 I went to Bosnia, got into a war conflict and kinda broke down. I was at WRAMC for 6 months on the fifth floor. They were pretty good and understanding. It took me a while to get comfortable but for me it helped. Now, I'm a civilian chaplain and try to help people so they don't explode like I did. I got labeled with PTSD and DID. 17 years later I am hanging in there. Hope this helps

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.