Newest Members
Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms
12369 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aleja (40), bc22 (47), DavidMI (40), Forrest_Gump (39), Jay1946 (68), Malc4 (29), mpm01 (49), widpaulman (43)
Who's Online
5 registered (TwoSpiritRising, 4 invisible), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12369 Members
74 Forums
63575 Topics
444175 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#469992 - 09/13/14 12:02 PM Hypnotherapy?
black_bicycle Offline

I am a 28 year old male who has undergone psychotherapy for a good six months now. Recent behavioral red flags (depression, major anxiety, lack of commitment, guilt regarding sex, weak personal relationships, low self-esteem/self-image, sexual activity in my sleep, etc.) has led my therapist and I to believe that I may have been a victim of sexual abuse as a child. The only issue is that I don't remember it. My brother recently told me that he was abused as a child by a family friend's son, but I might have been too young at the time.

So my question is: do I go to hypnotherapy to seek the truth? To uncover what is hidden in my psyche? I wonder if there are similar instances to my issue, there has to be. Thanks for reading.

CJ

Edited by black_bicycle (09/13/14 12:05 PM)
Edit Reason: forgot to list depression/anxiety as symptoms

#470045 - 09/14/14 11:47 PM Re: Hypnotherapy? [Re: black_bicycle]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
black_bicycle

Do you need hypnotherapy?

It might depend on your age when it started. I was not yet 4 when abuse started. But some light hypnosis got it rolling.

Puffer

#470091 - 09/15/14 11:28 PM Re: Hypnotherapy? [Re: black_bicycle]
Cthulhu Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Cascadia
I've been reading up on hypnotherapy this week. I would strongly caution against it's use for memory retrieval. The major psychological associations no not approve hypnotherapy for such uses. It has the really freaking scary and not too uncommon side effect of producing false memories. There are many, many case studies of therapists with good (and some not so good) intentions bringing up all sorts of false memories of terrible abuse.

Not remembering sucks and is scary. Not knowing if your memories of true or implanted seems worse to me.

some context

#470180 - 09/18/14 12:32 AM Re: Hypnotherapy? [Re: Cthulhu]
black_bicycle Offline

I really appreciate that response, cthulhu. I found some hypnotherapists in the area and am just planning on consultations for now. What alternative methods would you suggest to unearth these memories? The reason I want to do this is that it seems like the only logical option to identify why things are the way they are. I want to attack the source, not the symptoms. Of course, nothing is cut and dry like we want it to be...

Thanks again

#470209 - 09/18/14 06:00 PM Re: Hypnotherapy? [Re: black_bicycle]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Hypnotism can be very powerful.

I have a therapist who used hypnotherapy to great advantage in healing of dissociation caused by child abuse when I was very young. It worked with alters resulting from early child sexual abuse. It was easy to learn how to do light hypnotherapy on myself. It was called deep relaxation. There was nothing supernatural about it.

However, when I was 13 I was worked on (sexually abused) by a different group. There was lots of sexual abuse and even teaching about dark sexual topics. They were skillful at hypnosis. They were very skillful at hypnotism and used it to lock up my memories of their abuse. We (my T and I) still have not figured out how to get around it. Their method is described in several books. They would, under hypnosis, tell me that no one but them would ever be able to hypnotise me to extract that information, and they used a pass-code which has to be used to get through to their machinations.

So actually I need help with this second problem. If anybody out there knows how to break it, please leat me know

Puffer

Edited by pufferfish (09/18/14 06:14 PM)

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.