Newest Members
jahfree, Daryl X., tryintothrive, BCtejas, JHNebraska
12494 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mrwhiskers (25), SouthernLaw (41), TerryT (61)
Who's Online
2 registered (jahfree, 1 invisible), 26 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12494 Members
74 Forums
64160 Topics
447746 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#469204 - 08/21/14 05:51 AM spanking in school still legal in some states
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
i was shocked to read this:

http://news.yahoo.com/back-school-states-prepared-spanked-174556506.html

if the parents did it, chances are they could be accused of abuse, yet it is "OK" for schools!?
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#469210 - 08/21/14 10:32 AM Re: spanking in school still legal in some states [Re: traveler]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Legally speaking, in the US spanking is only "legal" if it's 1. restrained to only the backside, and 2. only an open hand can be used, no other implements, spoons, belts, paddles etc.

We learned this through CPS and also through various day care workers we know that are trained to look for various signs of abuse etc.

Although I 100% disagree with the idea of teachers and/or school officials physically disciplining my children in any way. It's not their place in the least.

#469251 - 08/22/14 04:11 AM Re: spanking in school still legal in some states [Re: traveler]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

i attended a public secondary school in the UK. they used a leather strap about a quarter inch thick and about 2 feet long with a split in the last 8-10 inches. it was smacked down overhand across the open palms of the "offender." it hurt like blazes - i know from experience. there was also paddling on the back of the legs and butt and in some places,i have heard - switches. i never experienced that, thankfully. it would have been a flashback to the step-dad.

i think that has been outlawed by now in the UK - and am surprised that anyplace in the US allows corporal punishment.

#469300 - 08/23/14 12:51 PM Re: spanking in school still legal in some states [Re: traveler]
tbkkfile Offline

Loc: Surrey, United Kingdom
Hi Traveler - in state run schools in the UK it was banned in 1987, in fee paying private schools it was banned in 1999, Scotland, Wales and N Irelend differed slightly but by 2003 every country in the UK had banned it.

I went to a state run secondary modern school (for those who had failed what we called the 11+ exam) from 1969 to 1974 when violent punishment was rife by any of the teachers, and for many it was a barbaric sadistic means to exert power over the children in their care. Spare the rod and spoil the child was a popular expression and one embraced by our PE teacher, he used to draw a cross on your backside with chalk and hit you with his shoe until it disappeared (it was called "being slippered"), he also used the last couple of feet of a climbing rope in the school gym, a cane (although this was normally administered by the head master) and pretty much anything that was handy, it effected me badly as my CSA was happening at the time.

Edited by tbkkfile (08/24/14 01:20 AM)

#469315 - 08/24/14 10:36 AM Re: spanking in school still legal in some states [Re: traveler]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

thanks for that confirmation, tbk.

i found that, bad as it was, it was much easier to deal with a relatively distanced one-off instance of institutionalized cruelty - the violence at the hands of teachers at school - than the more personal, emotionally complicated punishments within the family, even when those at home were not as physically painful.

sorry that complicated and added to your CSA experiences.
Lee

#469337 - 08/25/14 02:11 AM Re: spanking in school still legal in some states [Re: traveler]
tbkkfile Offline

Loc: Surrey, United Kingdom
Hi Lee

I just found it hard to seperate the two and guess it had a cumulative effect on me.

It was and is so very wrong

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.