Newest Members
tammy m, TheConqueror, Bloom, JohnWC, KKumar
12423 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dphoenix1701 (37), jaywiz2009 (69), mato (57)
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 25 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12423 Members
74 Forums
63803 Topics
445536 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#469001 - 08/16/14 02:30 AM Well Sh**!!
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Terminus
They are all dropping like flies...all my childhood and youth heros.

I used one pic of Jay as my avatar here until yesterday. I changed it without even knowing he had died that very same day.

Jay Adams was one of the originals of Team Zephyr Skate Team of the 70s. We all tried to learn so much from them via Thrasher and other magazines.

RIP Jay!! I'm in total disbelief dude. You were wild!!!

From Jay:

"I always skate for the love of it, the feeling that is like nothing else. Doing the thing I did, that some people after the fact look back and say it was so progressive and pushed the limits, that's cool but I wasn't thinking doing that. I just acted spontaneously and did stuff, see what happens and hope not to get hurt. I wouldn't think about it until afterwards, if at all. Style was a motivator at times, but honestly it just came naturally to me, and although it meant everything at times, who's to say the kook with horrible style isn't having more fun than you? Having fun is what really matters in the end, unless you're just out to impress others."

Edited by Still (08/16/14 11:57 AM)

The Aftermath Video

My Absolute Hero!

#469016 - 08/16/14 11:33 AM A life fully lived? [Re: Still]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

A life fully lived? Eh.....

A proper send-off for Jay. An excellent video.
He was a really sweet kid and adult.

The Aftermath Video

My Absolute Hero!

#469027 - 08/16/14 04:08 PM Re: Well Sh**!! [Re: Still]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA
I'm too young to have participated in the peak of the skinny longboard Dogtown skateboard zenith. Though I lacked his skills on the 80s fat boards, I too rocked that hair---long bangs and all.

Farewell Jay.

Will

-Signs and traces left in stone
Ruins of a past unknown-

#469034 - 08/16/14 05:38 PM Re: Well Sh**!! [Re: Still]
GoodSamaritan Offline

Loc: Kentucky
Thank you for this post, Robbie. Right after I read your post, I did a little research on Jay Adams, and I've just ordered "Lords of Dogtown," and "Dogtown and Z - Boys" from Amazon. I lived in Pasadena, California for five years, and Venice Beach is one of my favorite places to spend an afternoon out there. I have a great deal of admiration for someone like Jay Adams, who lived a fascinating life in spite of everything.

Tom

#469055 - 08/17/14 11:46 AM A life fully lived?? [Re: GoodSamaritan]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: GoodSamaritan
Thank you for this post, Robbie. Right after I read your post, I did a little research on Jay Adams, and I've just ordered "Lords of Dogtown," and "Dogtown and Z - Boys" from Amazon. I lived in Pasadena, California for five years, and Venice Beach is one of my favorite places to spend an afternoon out there. I have a great deal of admiration for someone like Jay Adams, who lived a fascinating life in spite of everything.

Tom

Great movie, Lords of Dogtown. Interesting to note the style of riding if you can. The actors/stunt stand-ins could not duplicate the style of Team-Z. Why? Team-Z was ALL about surfing. The skates were only to have something like surfing when the waves were gone.

If you look at Jay Adams, Stacy and Tony Alva riding, you'll see absolute ocean surfing, done on pavement. I've never seen it since! Its what made them the pioneers and experts of that time. Surfing was the reason for the break-through. You can even see it on the cover of the Dogtown and Z-Boys DVD. Henry Rollins has an interestingly take on the role that the magazines played in our youth (video in post above). It was true nationwide though.

I was so impressed by Lords of Dogtown's messages and stories, I bought about 10 DVDs of it, and gave them all to my kids' skate friends. I know all the serious riders have watched it a zillion times.

As for Jay's life. I don't see a lack of ambition or disdain for commerce as reasons for his fierce shyness of pro-riding. This kid was to be bigger than Hawk (worth over $120 Mil in skating related income). Its assumed that over the course of his career, Jay brought in $1 Mil, (not much at all).

I look at his adult interviews and see too much background pain. I hope I'm wrong, but drugs don't shred a life like that by themselves...EVER!

Edited by Still (08/17/14 11:47 AM)

The Aftermath Video

My Absolute Hero!

#469064 - 08/17/14 03:48 PM Re: A life fully lived?? [Re: Still]
GoodSamaritan Offline

Robbie,
I watched a couple of those interviews yesterday, and I see what you mean. I believe one of the videos you posted makes a brief comment on his difficult childhood, but no details are given. All we are told is that he already had a stepfather at an early age. No mention is made of his biological father, so we are left to draw our own conclusions.
I also read yesterday that he was involved in a fight with a gay male in the early 1980s that resulted in the man's death, although Jay Adams was not the one who killed him. I just wonder if his anger had something to do with child abuse. Perhaps a lot of what our society has labeled homophobia is connected to same sex abuse during childhood.
I don't know much about the surfing or skateboarding culture. I was born in 1956, so I grew up listening to the Beach Boys; that was my early introduction to the surfing culture. Having said that, it's hard to learn how to surf when you grow up in Kentucky.
I remember watching a movie about twenty years ago that featured skateboarding as the central theme, and it floored me. I looked it up on the Internet last night. It is called "Airborne," and I had no idea that so many maneuvers were possible on a skateboard until I saw that film on television. I was also amazed to hear Jay Adams recall leaping from the roofs of houses while skateboarding on the street where he lived in California. It's hard for me to imagine having that much coordination.
I looked on eBay for back issues of Thrasher magazine, but nothing was available from the Jay Adams era.

Thank you again for posting. I signed on to MaleSurvivor about six months ago, and I wondered about that kid's identity on your profile page. I am happy that you have solved the mystery, albeit under tragic circumstances.

Tom

#469084 - 08/18/14 12:01 AM Re: A life fully lived?? [Re: GoodSamaritan]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
That skating culture bypassed me almost entirely. I was caught up in my job and following academic coursework.

It looks like there are a lot of parallels in the life of a young star athlete to those of a Hollywood child star. Jay Adams' appearance with that blond hair was certainly not taken lightly. It would have attracted a lot of attention. Those boys would capture so much attention and some of that was not going to be healthy attention at all.

I have made a couple of posts referring to comments made by young Hollywood star Corey Feldman in his book Coreyography: A Memoir. Corey Feldman makes the claim that when he and Corey Haim were 14 they were surrounded by pedophiles. There were parties and drugs and aggressive guys. They didn't have adequate supervision. All of that must have been difficult to deal with.

All of the money and drugs showered upon them must have left a mark. It would have been unbelievably seductive.

Puffer

#469095 - 08/18/14 06:39 PM Re: A life fully lived?? [Re: Still]
GoodSamaritan Offline

Robbie, I am curious as to how you keep up with someone like Jay Adams if you don't live in the Los Angeles area. The reason I ask is that I have only found a handful of videos on YouTube in which you can see him on a skateboard. Yet I have read a large number of tributes to Jay on various websites. Did you mostly follow his career through skateboard magazines? I don't believe there was much mention of skateboarding during the height of Jay's fame in the late 1970s and early 1980s. He certainly was an interesting man, but I am puzzled as to how he is so widely known in spite of the lack of coverage in the (mass) media. Any insight you can share on this subject will be appreciated.

Tom

#469207 - 08/21/14 08:59 AM Re: A life fully lived?? [Re: GoodSamaritan]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: GoodSamaritan
Robbie, I am curious as to how you keep up with someone like Jay Adams if you don't live in the Los Angeles area. The reason I ask is that I have only found a handful of videos on YouTube in which you can see him on a skateboard. Yet I have read a large number of tributes to Jay on various websites. Did you mostly follow his career through skateboard magazines? I don't believe there was much mention of skateboarding during the height of Jay's fame in the late 1970s and early 1980s. He certainly was an interesting man, but I am puzzled as to how he is so widely known in spite of the lack of coverage in the (mass) media. Any insight you can share on this subject will be appreciated.

Tom

I would begin with "the kid network." Today, its global and it is instantaneous. Back then, it was only a bit slower, but if someone in Wisconsin discovered that chewing Dial Soap would get you high, we all found out within days or weeks by virtue of the phone, family-and-friend travel and so-on. I would say this was very true for skateboarding, even though it can be traced back into the 1940s (at a minimum).

As for the Z-Boys (including Jay Adams), and virtually all of skateboarding intelligence, we relied upon the magazines. In my horrid little town, we had a "news shops." By virtue of the local kid network, we'd know when to blast at light-speed down there to get the latest arrival of Skateboarder or Thrasher or any of the clone rags.

Look at who Henry Rollins describes the role of the magazine. It was true for the nation.

If a video tape (VHS or Sony Beta) had anything remotely touching skateboarding (or motocross in my case), we would seek and quire with 100% certainty of victory. It was never an "if" we would see said video, rather it was a question of "how" and how much trouble we would have to go through to get there.

Evidence of previous uncivilized cultures and dain-bramaged boys:

Left 1960s Right 1947

Edited by Still (08/21/14 09:15 AM)

The Aftermath Video

My Absolute Hero!

#470259 - 09/19/14 09:07 PM Re: Well Sh**!! [Re: Still]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

If I were a rich man....

Damn Jay! I'm supposed to have this! May it go to a good collection.

Jay's Board!

The Aftermath Video

My Absolute Hero!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.