Newest Members
cricket1007, Nickie98, jahfree, Daryl X., tryintothrive
12496 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
joeybird (54), ladyinwaiting (46), txpearl (46)
Who's Online
1 registered (sentry), 11 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12496 Members
74 Forums
64165 Topics
447757 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#469107 - 08/19/14 12:05 AM Economic impact of child sexual abuse profound
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

I received an email with the following link. It was a surprise and came through my work email address which I do not use for my CSA related correspondence. There was a chain of correspondence in the email and finally figured out the person who shared my email--I was curious and I am glad it was shared. It was someone who I had made contact with through a CSA site who we knew in California. It was amazing then at that time to hear what he had heard about my CSA and supposed issues and for me to learn of his brother. Anyway, I found the video to be quite interesting. Being of Irish descent and having lived in Ireland it hit home. More importantly it was great to see a country trying to measure the long term impact of CSA, which compliments what we know of the emotional and psychological effects.

http://www.rte.ie/news/player/2014/0815/...t-of-workforce/

#469108 - 08/19/14 12:50 AM Re: Economic impact of child sexual abuse profound [Re: KMCINVA]
victor-victim Offline

Loc: O Kanada
there certainly has been a negative economic impact on my life.

War
Love
Poetry

#469118 - 08/19/14 10:23 AM Re: Economic impact of child sexual abuse profound [Re: KMCINVA]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

I shared this study with the Diocese personnel and their response was how important is to continue to raise awareness of all aspects of CSA and educate others that it is not just a national problem but a worldwide problem.

It is comforting to receive a positive and supportive response versus a dismissive one.

#469126 - 08/19/14 05:21 PM Re: Economic impact of child sexual abuse profound [Re: KMCINVA]
NoSimpleMachine Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area
Thank you for posting this. This was a very lucid interview and it seems like a strong data set to draw these conclusions from.
What good is it to sing Helplessness Blues, why should I wait for anyone else?

#469127 - 08/19/14 05:45 PM Re: Economic impact of child sexual abuse profound [Re: KMCINVA]
don64 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: St. Croix, USVI
My ability to work went straight downhill from age 45. I could no longer work at all from age 55, but couldn't get disability because mental health considerations with Social Security is very narrow, and I could no longer afford the level of professional who may have been able to successfully document my case. I was basically an indentured servant for my landlord and landlady for 7 years. It was hell, but I did go through withdrawal from capitalism and materialism. I'm grateful for that.

Very sobering research.

Don
Divine Law is not judgment or denial of self truths. Divine Law is honoring harmony that comes from a peaceful mind, an open heart, a true tongue, a light step, a forgiving nature, and a love of all living creatures. Jamie Sams & David Carson, Medicine Cards

#469144 - 08/20/14 12:40 AM Re: Economic impact of child sexual abuse profound [Re: don64]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Yes...

I have shared many of the experiences mentioned in this thread. By the time I was about 45, I had steady employment and I was respected in my profession. When the memories started rolling in, I took a tumble in employment. I guess my defense mechanisms weren't there to hold me together anymore. It's been a matter of slow recovery, frankly. I was greatly impacted by the abuse I experienced as a child.

Puffer

#469148 - 08/20/14 01:09 AM Re: Economic impact of child sexual abuse profound [Re: KMCINVA]
tbkkfile Offline

Loc: Surrey, United Kingdom
Yes as well

Puffer seems to echo my journey, I'm now 56 and in the middle of recovery, it's way too late for me to start again.

Don - I'm interested in how you withdrew from capitalism and materialism and what it's mean't for you.

David

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.