Newest Members
gdj, Db, dspwilson, Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty
12386 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
4gettingthepast4 (32), DougL (53), Jeff38 (48), lfp (27), pats121 (75), Texan (57), zer0sleep (35)
Who's Online
3 registered (help4aCSAspouse, Bardo, 1 invisible), 23 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12386 Members
74 Forums
63655 Topics
444549 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 12 of 12 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12
Topic Options
#469060 - 08/17/14 12:40 PM Re: The meanings of our "pen names" [Re: Brokenhearted]
HD001 Offline

Loc: us
It's my nickname. HD or Hilda is what my friend's call me

#469226 - 08/21/14 03:02 PM Re: The meanings of our "pen names" [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
Judith Offline

Loc: USA
I have always wanted to know what the names meanings are.

Judith

#469229 - 08/21/14 04:06 PM Re: The meanings of our "pen names" [Re: Brokenhearted]
NoSimpleMachine Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area
No Simple Machine is the name of a song by The Old 97's, an alt-country/texas bar rock sorta band that has been kicking around for 20 years now and I really like. I have a youtube video of a live performance in my signature (not the greatest quality recording, but I really loved the energy of the performance). The song is sung to a woman who is too bright and too good for the shitty men in the world who are trying to own her and take her, and the artist is telling her...you're too good to just be seen as your sex or gender. You are "no simple machine".

Would like to think it resonates with me and my CSA and accepting my orientation for pretty obvious reasons. A lot of the lyrics relate directly to how I can frame a positive relationship with my abuser, particularly stuff like "he mighta had you, but he never had you" and "he tried to break you but he didn't realize you are no simple machine".

He said "Can I buy you a drink?"
What he meant was, "Can I buy you?"
Yeah his eyes were pits of despair
But his accent recalled the bayou
Oh, and women go crazy for guys who talk funny
And men who treat them mean
Aw, but you deserve better than that, my friend
You are no simple machine

You're not a girl who is easily swayed
By a quick-witted, sure-footed dancer
Yeah, your heart is as large as your great big brain
And sometimes there is no answer
You had your eyes closed, and he saw you comin'
His good side's the one side you'd seen
Aw, but he tried to break you
He didn't realize

Just give me one night
To wipe the slate clean
Yeah, It's gonna take all night

He said, "Who's this fool on your arm?"
And I said, "Let me at him"
Oh, his bell begs to get rung
And his nose begs get flattened
Ah, you kept your composure
I'll give you credit
You led me away from that scene
He mighta had you, but he never had you

Just give me one night
To wipe the slate clean
Yeah, It's gonna take all night
Aw, 'cause you are no simple machine

Just give me one night
To wipe the slate clean
Yeah, it's gonna take all night
'Cause you are no simple machine

Aw yeah, you are no simple machine
That's right

Edited by NoSimpleMachine (08/21/14 04:15 PM)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tazGZU4ufGM

#469247 - 08/22/14 02:03 AM Re: The meanings of our "pen names" [Re: Brokenhearted]
learning2remember Offline

Loc: Europe
When I started facing the abuse, teh thing that worried me most was not remembering all of it. There was one incident particularly where I just block out. (Now that I think about it, if there is any one incident where the memory gaps are pretty obvious to fill in, it is this one, but, still I thought that if I didn't remember exactly what he did, I couldn't be sure I was abused.)

So my first goal, and probably longest standing one, in recovery, was to remember. I wanted to remember it all so that I would KNOW.

I've pretty much given up on that. I'm not sure it's possible, and I'm pretty sure if it happened I would then wish I could forget.

I've thought of changing my pen name, though I doubt it's possible. And maybe "learning2remember" includes learning to accept what I remember and not need more.

#469249 - 08/22/14 03:43 AM Re: The meanings of our "pen names" [Re: traveler]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
Originally Posted By: traveler
Josh & all -

i too am a traveler. i second what you said about the sense of adventure and the excitement of discovery and learning.

i've lived at over 30 addresses in 7 states, 6 countries and 4 continents. i have visited over 30 countries and have a hard time staying too long in one place. don't really have a home town - and don't like revisiting some of the places i've lived - for obvious reasons. i guess i've been searching for something - and also trying to escape something. at this point in life - i know that much of my journey has been internal as well as external. still some distance to go - but i'm getting closer.

Lee

as of this month, make that 7 countries and 5 continents where i've lived.

i have a T-shirt with these words on it:
"Happiness is not found in the destination, but in the journey."
i am not sure what the destination is, but i am having a progressively better journey!

Lee
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#469262 - 08/22/14 01:21 PM Re: The meanings of our "pen names" [Re: Brokenhearted]
Ocellaris Offline

Loc: New York
Ocellaris is a species of clownfish. "Nemo" from the popular animated movie is an ocellaris clownfish. I originally chose the name because I keep a saltwater fish tank and the ocellaris clownfish was one of the first ones I kept. But I also chose the name because this is arguably the most exploited species of fish in the aquarium trade. And like an aquarium fish, I often feel like I live my life isolated from others. It is like I live in a glass box -- they observe me; I observe them. But that's usually about it.

Page 12 of 12 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.