Newest Members
BCtejas, JHNebraska, mike42069, JACKL, Personman
12491 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mrwhiskers (25), SouthernLaw (41), TerryT (61)
Who's Online
4 registered (traveler, MissesMe, Tiger1982, 1 invisible), 14 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12491 Members
74 Forums
64159 Topics
447733 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#468783 - 08/11/14 02:20 AM The Nose Knows
1lifenow Offline

Loc: west coast
I used to wonder why going into the locker room at the local university when we had high school tournaments there confused me. It smelled musty and dank cuz it was an old building yet with the unmistakeable smell of MAN. It just turned me on somehow in some weird way i did not understand at the time.

I came upon this study that demonstrates there is a deep brain connection that men who are attracted to men have that straight men do not. Importantly it CANNOT Be accounted for by anything other than the way the brain itself works and is NOT an acquired thing. NO CHOICE NOT LEARNED.

FROM the US National Academy of Science:
Jan-Åke Gustafsson, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden,

Cerebral responses to putative pheromones and objects of sexual attraction were recently found to differ between homo- and heterosexual subjects. Although this observation may merely mirror perceptional differences, it raises the intriguing question as to whether certain sexually dimorphic features in the brain may differ between individuals of the same sex but different sexual orientation. We addressed this issue by studying hemispheric asymmetry and functional connectivity, two parameters that in previous publications have shown specific sex differences. Ninety subjects [25 heterosexual men (HeM) and women (HeW), and 20 homosexual men (HoM) and women (HoW)] were investigated with magnetic resonance volumetry of cerebral and cerebellar hemispheres. Fifty of them also participated in PET measurements of cerebral blood flow, used for analyses of functional connections from the right and left amygdalae. HeM and HoW showed a rightward cerebral asymmetry, whereas volumes of the cerebral hemispheres were symmetrical in HoM and HeW. No cerebellar asymmetries were found. Homosexual subjects also showed sex-atypical amygdala connections. In HoM, as in HeW, the connections were more widespread from the left amygdala; in HoW and HeM, on the other hand, from the right amygdala. Furthermore, in HoM and HeW the connections were primarily displayed with the contralateral amygdala and the anterior cingulate, in HeM and HoW with the caudate, putamen, and the prefrontal cortex. The present study shows sex-atypical cerebral asymmetry and functional connections in homosexual subjects. The results cannot be primarily ascribed to learned effects, and they suggest a linkage to neurobiological entities.

I now know why i hate deodorant and cologne, it blocks my brain.

I think thats why i could have and enjoy straight sex, but it never triggered the deep centre of my brain. It was all, perfume and Hi karate'

Edited by 1lifenow (08/11/14 02:22 AM)

WoR Barrie 2011

#468785 - 08/11/14 03:32 AM Re: The Nose Knows [Re: 1lifenow]
don64 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: St. Croix, USVI
Thanks for passing this on. Don
Divine Law is not judgment or denial of self truths. Divine Law is honoring harmony that comes from a peaceful mind, an open heart, a true tongue, a light step, a forgiving nature, and a love of all living creatures. Jamie Sams & David Carson, Medicine Cards

#469382 - 08/26/14 07:10 PM Re: The Nose Knows [Re: 1lifenow]
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
Thanks, 1lifenow. Studies like these really make the blanket "sexual orientation is a choice" argument increasingly tougher to make. I don't think you can choose to have a different brain structure that's wired to interpret stimuli differently.

For those interested in the study title, it's "PET and MRI show differences in cerebral asymmetry and functional connectivity between homo- and heterosexual subjects" and it's actually by Ivanka Savic and Per Lindström of the Stockholm Brain Institute, Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Karolinska Institute, 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden (The names above are the editors of the study for publication). You can find the full study text and data here.

-efm

Everybody here's got a story to tell
Everybody's been through their own hell
There's nothing too special about getting hurt
Getting over it, that takes the work

- "Duck and Cover" by Glen Phillips

#469572 - 09/01/14 12:16 PM Re: The Nose Knows [Re: 1lifenow]
1lifenow Offline

Loc: west coast
I dont think we have a choice over of a lot of things we think of as free will. We come to feel, believe and think the way we do as a result of so many influences both innate and acquired. The thought processes we have are a distillation of our own sense of self, what we are taught ( and what we weren't, ignorance can be less than blissful) and what we experienced.

I am always saddened when men think they can just put intent first then try to impose what they want to think onto what they do think. Its ass backwards. We can become informed and try to get as knowledgeable about ourselves as we can. But ultimately , we will feel how we feel with respect to wants and needs. Its what we do with it that matters.

thanks EFM

WoR Barrie 2011

#469617 - 09/03/14 03:00 AM Re: The Nose Knows [Re: 1lifenow]
NoSimpleMachine Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area
I rank myself about a 5 on the Kinsey scale, mostly gay but a handful of girls here and there catch my eye...but it's very true, the smell of women just doesn't do anything to me. The smell of a man, in an intimate setting, is a hard-wired turn-on.

I like that, 1lifenow, what you said about not having as much free will as we think we have...not necessarily that we are defined by fate, but that we are driven by all sorts of biological and subconscious imperatives that lie under the surface, outside of the view of our cognition.
What good is it to sing Helplessness Blues, why should I wait for anyone else?

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.