Newest Members
rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms, Anony_mous, Drew6991x
12367 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
bluesky (44), Brother B+ (48), emal7717 (53), estuardo (52), kwf777 (56), LeeAnne (30), mapleleafsn (52), otherside (61), ronnie (59), Scott1962 (52), thrive-n-survive (42), tom3065 (36)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 16 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12367 Members
74 Forums
63561 Topics
444081 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#468547 - 08/05/14 01:15 PM Need to vent
BDD Offline

Loc: PA, USA
I just need to vent.

This morning there was a well written, thoughtful article regarding sex slavery.
I have to be fair to the article, it was the story of one girl.
I know it's all my stuff, but I need to vent.

The one line set me off
"of human trafficking commonly involving American girls and young women (but sometimes boys)..."
That was it about boys.
"But sometimes Boys" just made me scream inside.
It pushed so many buttons.
My inferiority buttons.
Where the fuck is our story?
Are we that soiled when used we're not worthy?

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/201408...too_common.html

#468555 - 08/05/14 03:11 PM Re: Need to vent [Re: BDD]
txb Offline

I'm sorry it pissed you off. It's understandable though. I don't know why people aren't interested and there is so little help out there.

A couple of years ago I started searching for info about CSA, and came up with pretty much nothing. It was mostly aimed at women. Occasionally there would be a page for men that would usually say "you are probably wondering if you are gay..." As if that's our only issue. Maybe I was using bad search terms but this website didn't even come up. I found it through another website.

I think things are probably better than they were, but there is still a long way to go

#468559 - 08/05/14 05:10 PM Re: Need to vent [Re: BDD]
Sven Offline

sometimes boys... sigh... if only that sometimes part was true
people are just stupid ?
Into souls on the tree of pain
From the firefly a red orange glow
See the face of fear
Running scared in the valley below
~ Bullet The Blue Sky - U2

#468560 - 08/05/14 05:29 PM Re: Need to vent [Re: BDD]
dark empathy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: durham, north england
I remember feeing very similar when I heard a news item on the local news about a girl who'd been raped. It wasn't that I didn't feel sorry for her, it was all the interviews with the police, with the family, with people on the street saying how bad and wrong and awful this was and how young woman should be protected and kept safe from such nasty predators. men never got a mention.

I have to agree with sven here. It's not recognized just how sexist and harmful these stupid attitudes are.

#468571 - 08/05/14 11:48 PM Re: Need to vent [Re: BDD]
victor-victim Offline

Loc: O Kanada
this is a topic that is very near to my heart.
almost too close for comfort and difficult to comment on.

i have been mostly disappointed with the resources in my community but i don't want to or like to complain because there were some nice people who tried very hard to help me. none of it has cost me any money.

that having been said,
it is my opinion that society simply still does not recognize or understand the epic epidemic of male survivors.
there is little or no public awareness or attention.
and i live in one of the most liberal permissive
inclusive sexually liberated societies in the world.
( so the media mythology tells me so )

War
Love
Poetry

#468573 - 08/06/14 01:50 AM Re: Need to vent [Re: BDD]
Chase Eric Offline
MaleSurvivor

...but sometimes boys...

As a survivor it hurts to read this. But more importantly, for boys currently caught up in this terrible cycle, it marginalizes them, sub-categorizes their dilemma, and implicitly suggests that their abuse may be better kept a secret.

Click my pic to see why I'm here

#468592 - 08/06/14 01:46 PM Re: Need to vent [Re: BDD]
Bluedogone Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast US
I hear you, loud and clear. And it's completely understandable.

There's just no understanding how insensitive most people can be about CSA of boys. With all the publicity and general knowledge about the priests, the Boy Scouts and the Penn State scandal it's hard to even imagine what it's going to take for news accounts to realize "sometimes boys" is such an asinine thoughtless comment.

As hard as it may seem to think in these terms, I believe there was even less awareness 30 or 40 years ago. This is pretty lame reasoning, but AT LEAST now there's a place where it's possible to vent. But that's certainly no reason in this day for a Philadelphia paper (or any paper) to print such a comment.

Well said BDD - where the fuck IS our story.

#468593 - 08/06/14 02:27 PM Re: Need to vent [Re: Bluedogone]
victor-victim Offline

Originally Posted By: Bluedogone

it's hard to even imagine what it's going to take for news accounts to realize "sometimes boys" is such an asinine thoughtless comment.

As hard as it may seem to think in these terms, I believe there was even less awareness 30 or 40 years ago.
where the fuck IS our story.

the news story which includes the inaccurate comment
was written by
MORGAN ZALOT
Philadelphia Daily News Daily News Staff Writer.
his email is clearly displayed at the top of the webpage article.
i have it, if you can't find it i can PM it to you.
all the email addresses are here: http://www.phillydailynews.com/about
including editors, publishers, reporters, writers, etc.
the newspaper also has a feedback page with an online form…
http://www.philly.com/philly/about/feedback/

i am composing a complaint "letter to the editor" that coherently and carefully
outlines my concern about the wording they have used.
like most of the general public and mass media, they are likely not aware of the insensitivity of the article, and may not even know the true extent of the male survivor stats and stats.

that is about all i can do, but if enough of us send a comment, they may take notice.
there is safety and strength in numbers.
every one of you has expressed their feelings clearly already.
the comments below make valid points.
we just need to get those points, comments, and feelings to the right people.

Originally Posted By: MORGAN ZALOT Philadelphia Daily News

Domestic sex trafficking, federal and local officials say, is an increasingly common and highly lucrative underground business - a close-to-home subsection of human trafficking commonly involving American girls and young women (but sometimes boys) forced into sex slavery by sick pimps who prey on some of society's most vulnerable members.

Pimps can earn $150,000 to $200,000 a year on each victim they force into prostitution, according to the Department of Justice, so the incentive is strong to entrap and exploit several girls and young women at a time.

Said Michelle Morgan, an assistant U.S. attorney who prosecutes sex-trafficking cases in U.S. District Court in Philadelphia. "There are a lot of places for pimps to go from here to make more money, to buy new girls, to trade girls, so it's a lucrative area."

Predators are skilled at sniffing out the most susceptible girls, and they take advantage of places like malls or public-transit hubs, where the girls are more likely to be alone.

"The mall's a pretty popular recruitment place for that reason - unattended teenage girls," said Morgan. "Sports venues come to mind, public transportation, train station, bus station. Those are all popular places for pimps, or prostitutes working at the direction of pimps, to approach teenage girls."

"They're looking for that vulnerability, the lack of self-esteem, the emotional neediness that is present in nearly every 14- or 15-year-old girl," she said. "They can smell it like bloodhounds, and they can zero in on it."

"You're sort of turned into a piece of meat by another person and your innocence is destroyed and your body is used like that, even if it's only for a couple days, these girls don't bounce back," Morgan said.

the word "boys" is only mentioned once in passing.
the word "girls" is mentioned repeatedly.
i plan on sending an email to Michelle Morgan as well.

the link to the original article is here
Originally Posted By: BDD

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/201408...too_common.html

I just need to vent.

This morning there was a well written, thoughtful article regarding sex slavery.

The one line set me off
"of human trafficking commonly involving American girls and young women (but sometimes boys)..."
That was it about boys.
"But sometimes Boys" just made me scream inside.
It pushed so many buttons.
My inferiority buttons.
Where the fuck is our story?
Are we that soiled when used we're not worthy?

Originally Posted By: Chase Eric
...but sometimes boys...

As a survivor it hurts to read this. But more importantly, for boys currently caught up in this terrible cycle, it marginalizes them, sub-categorizes their dilemma, and implicitly suggests that their abuse may be better kept a secret.

Originally Posted By: dark empathy
I remember feeing very similar when I heard a news item on the local news about a girl who'd been raped.
men never got a mention.

I have to agree with sven here. It's not recognized just how sexist and harmful these stupid attitudes are.

Originally Posted By: Sven
sometimes boys... sigh... if only that sometimes part was true
people are just stupid ?

here is a related article from the same newspaper.
http://articles.philly.com/2014-08-05/news/52476425_1_drug-abuse-family-violence-drug-use

War
Love
Poetry

#468604 - 08/06/14 07:30 PM Re: Need to vent [Re: BDD]
PMGNT Offline

Loc: Eastern USA
Those of us abused by women, particularly pretty ones, get a dose of envy alongside the whole rest of it. But you know what? When she's your mom, she's probably not hot to you.

Yes, really.

#468611 - 08/06/14 09:31 PM vented [Re: victor-victim]
victor-victim Offline

done.

letter has been sent.

--------------------------------

Originally Posted By: open letter
TO: Michael Levy, Michelle Morgan-Kelly, Penny L. Coblentz,
Attorneys, Child Exploitation,
Project Safe Childhood,
United States Attorneys Office.

TO: Michael Days, Editor,
Philadelphia Daily News.

To whom it may concern,

Please be advised that the recent news article published by Philadelphia Daily News could have been more accurate.

As a survivor of organized childhood sexual exploitation, I feel bold enough to draw your attention to the following public reaction by childhood sexual abuse survivors to comments attributed to [Assistant United States Attorney - Eastern District of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia - U.S. Department of Justice Child Exploitation] Michelle Morgan-Kelly by reporter Morgan Zalot.

The article appears at this URL.
http://articles.philly.com/2014-08-05/news/52476395_1_pimps-king-kobra

While the ongoing official effort to combat and expose child exploitation is commendable, and I am truly grateful, I believe that there is more to the story.

Professional international networking of pedophiles and pimps is not unique to girls. Unfortunately, the article was viewed as biased, insensitive, insulting, dismissive, misrepresentative, and ultimately offensive to the uncountable thousands of male children (boys) that are sexually abused.

The victims are from both genders.

Please accept this letter in the spirit it was intended.
I only wish to promote awareness, not assign blame.

I recognize and applaud 2011 National Exploited Children’s Award Recipient Michelle Morgan!
I believe she is aware of the numbers of male victims.
I am only concerned with media representation and public interpretation.

You may copy and forward or publicize the contents of this letter, but not my name, email or contact information.
Please respect my right to privacy and confidentiality and do not reveal my name to anyone.
Again, I thank all the people who have helped the exploited children, and the adults they have become.
My eternal love and gratitude.

Thank you for your time.

------------------------

PM me if you want the email addresses of my targeted recipients.

War
Love
Poetry

#468622 - 08/07/14 02:47 AM Re: Need to vent [Re: BDD]
victor-victim Offline

Dear BDD, txb, Sven, dark_empathy, Chase_Eric, Bluedogone,

something to balance out this news article.
a news article that addresses this issue directly.
i post it here in hopes that it will give you some encouragement and consolation.

"A new study reveals that men are often the victims of sexual assault, and women are often the perpetrators.
The National Crime Victimization Survey turned up a remarkable statistic.
In asking 40,000 households about rape and sexual violence, the survey uncovered that 38% of incidents were against men.
"

found it here:
http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthr...4817#Post464817

the survey can be found here:
Data Collection: Bureau of Justice Statistics National Crime Victimization Survey http://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=dcdetail&iid=245

at least some people out there are fully aware.

"We assessed 12-month prevalence and incidence data on sexual victimization in 5 federal surveys that the Bureau of Justice Statistics, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation conducted independently in 2010 through 2012. We used these data to examine the prevailing assumption that men rarely experience sexual victimization. We concluded that federal surveys detect a high prevalence of sexual victimization among men—in many circumstances similar to the prevalence found among women. We identified factors that perpetuate misperceptions about men’s sexual victimization: reliance on traditional gender stereotypes, outdated and inconsistent definitions, and methodological sampling biases that exclude inmates. We recommend changes that move beyond regressive gender assumptions, which can harm both women and men."

from… The Sexual Victimization of Men in America: New Data Challenge Old Assumptions
an abstract written by Lara Stemple, JD, and Ilan H. Meyer, PhD
published in the American Journal of Public Health:
June 2014, Vol. 104, No. 6, pp. e19-e26.
doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2014.301946

Lara Stemple is with the Health and Human Rights Law Project, University of California, Los Angeles School of Law.
Ilan H. Meyer is with the Williams Institute for Sexual Orientation Law and Public Policy, University of California, Los Angeles School of Law.

http://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/abs/10.2105/AJPH.2014.301946

War
Love
Poetry

#468931 - 08/14/14 06:14 PM Re: vented [Re: victor-victim]
victor-victim Offline

i have received an official reply...

---------------

Thank you for your e-mails of August 6 and 7. I took them in the spirit in which I think that you sent them. You are pleased with the child sexual exploitation work that we do, but were concerned that the article seemed to focus solely upon the sexual abuse of female children.

First, the article dealt with AUSA Morgan’s recent success in the prosecution of a pimp who had female prostitutes. This is merely one aspect of the child exploitation work that this office does. I will say more about that below. Ms. Morgan began the child prostitution program here in 2009 by herself. She has convinced the FBI of the seriousness of the violation and they now have squad that specializes in these cases. In the past, prosecution focused upon the prostitutes, and sometimes the “johns.” Pimps escaped without any harm. Ms. Morgan has turned what was a set of upside down priorities back to where they should be. We now focus on those who abuse the prostitutes and profit from them.

Thus far, what we have seen has been female prostitution. We are aware that there are male prostitutes, but we have not seen anything like the industry for women or websites such as Backpage and Craig’s List that serve as their advertising sites. If you or anyone else on the website knows of similar boards for male prostitution or have any information about male prostitution rings, please let us know. To constitute a federal crime, the person running the business, must either use children under the age of 18, or use threats, coercion, force, or fraud to keep the prostitutes in

Outside the area of prostitution, we have prosecuted numerous defendants for the sexual abuse of boys. The list includes the following (the sentences are in parentheses) Mark Bianchi (25 years), Kenneth Schneider (15 years), John Angell (35 years), Steven Mazer (60 years). In addition, four defendants, who sexually abused boys, are scheduled for trial this fall: Jason Becktold, Christopher Steele, Matthew Krapf, and Mark Wilczopolski.

Because of our work, we are painfully aware of the harm that the abuse of young children and adolescents does to these victims. The sense of shame, the inability to form lasting intimate relationships, and depression are just some of the harms that we see in the victims with whom we have dealt. The work is emotionally draining, but we are committed to doing it, because we know how important it is. We know that the removal of a child predator not only punishes him and provides some vindication to his victims, it also saves many others from his predatory conduct.

Thank you for your support.

Michael L. Levy

Chief, Computer Crimes

U.S. Attorney's Office

Eastern District of Pennsylvania

War
Love
Poetry

#469287 - 08/23/14 12:18 AM Re: Need to vent [Re: BDD]
victor-victim Offline

according to a documentary by A&E Investigative Reports
entitled "Child Sex Trade" which was produced back in a
the year 2000 says that "A young girl could earn much more money for a pimp than an older woman and the same rule applies to young men, who make up the majority of teens in prostitution."

the number is greater than 51% according to the producers of this television documentary.

War
Love
Poetry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.