Newest Members
RodrigoBR, MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two
12332 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
blueelectron9 (48), Grunty1967b (2014), highflight (42), jocks44 (54), kitm1 (47), Porrick (44)
Who's Online
3 registered (hike1972, 2 invisible), 13 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12332 Members
74 Forums
63415 Topics
443365 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#467065 - 06/27/14 09:53 PM Ohio man sues over 2007 rape in Marion youth priso
kcinohio Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
Unusual for cases like this to make local newspapers in the area from what I've seen. Possibly a sign that the topic is receiving more careful attention - that could be helpful for those more boys at risk such as in the case here.

Article in Port Clinton News Herald

Jun. 27, 2014 6:24 PM | 0 Comments

A
A
Written by
AMANDA LEE MYERS
Associated Press

FILED UNDER
News
Local News
Toledo

ADVERTISEMENT
CINCINNATI — An Ohio man who was 12 when he says he was raped repeatedly by an older inmate in 2007 at a now-shuttered juvenile prison is suing seven corrections workers, alleging they failed to protect him and ignored his reports of abuse.

The man, now 20, accuses the former officers and administrators at Marion Juvenile Correctional Facility in northern Ohio of housing him in the same unit as an 18-year-old inmate known for sexually targeting young boys, according to his civil rights lawsuit, filed Thursday in federal court in Toledo.

“They basically threw him to the wolves,” said David Singleton, one of the man’s lawyers and the executive director of the Cincinnati-based Ohio Justice & Policy Center, a nonprofit that litigates civil rights cases for prisoners.

“What happened to him will always stay with him, and it is something that is hard for him to think back on and to talk about, but he wants to make sure that this doesn’t happen to anybody else again,” Singleton said. “No 12-year-old should be put in a unit with aggressive, dangerous, sexually violent adults that are going to harm him. It’s just outrageous.”

Darrel Saxon, the 18-year-old inmate he was housed with at Marion, was convicted of one count of raping the boy in 2008 and is serving a sentence of 10 years to life in prison at a facility just outside of Columbus.

The Associated Press generally does not name sexual assault victims.

Kim Jump, a spokeswoman for the Department of Youth Services, which employed all those named in the lawsuit, said Friday that three of them resigned, three retired and one was transferred to another state agency, the Department of Rehabilitation and Correction.

Jump declined to comment further, citing the pending litigation.

The department is not a named defendant in the case.

Saxon admitted to investigators that he had sexual contact with the boy but said it was mutual. During his trial, he denied any sexual conduct with the boy, saying he only said that he had to embarrass the boy.

The lawsuit says that Saxon sexually assaulted the boy about 15 times between January and March 2007.

The boy complained about Saxon to prison workers but nothing was done until March 20, 2007, when a fellow inmate walked in on one of the assaults in a mop closet and reported it, the lawsuit says.

“Defendants acted and failed to act with deliberate indifference and malice toward the rights and safety of (the boy),” the lawsuit says. “Plaintiff suffers serious psychological and emotional harm, including severe humiliation and ongoing emotional trauma and stress.”

The lawsuit seeks unspecified damages.

The Marion Juvenile Correctional closed in 2009 following the settlement of a long-running lawsuit alleging a culture of violence permeating Ohio’s juvenile correctional facilities.

———

#467258 - 07/05/14 10:09 AM Re: Ohio man sues over 2007 rape in Marion youth priso [Re: kcinohio]
catfish86 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
To be locked up with a predator at his mercy and the guards, etc ignoring this is unconscionable. Personally, I have grown abhorrent about comments that someone will be punished by the sexual abuse allowed in jails and prisons. When someone is incarcerated, there is a certain amount of suffering/discomfort that is part of the pie they baked. This includes adequate but unpalatable food, uncomfortable cells, lack of privacy, etc.

As a guard/warden/whatever, you have to respect certain basic human rights. Some of it is intentional malfeasance, either enjoying or thinking the victims deserve it. Some of it is laziness. Not conducting sweeps, not being diligent in observing those in their charge because they would rather sit down than walk to the end of the hall to observe the inmates in the mop closet.
And the Wisdom to know the difference.

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.