Newest Members
Anony_mous, Drew6991x, Miro, jj843, The Abyss
12364 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Bear (42), BoyNoMore (56), Daniel_05 (40), James Landrith (44), john kay (41)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12364 Members
74 Forums
63541 Topics
443949 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#466755 - 06/18/14 05:55 PM Suggestion for new Discussion Board Question
eltoro65 Offline

Loc: chicago
What really helps me as a survivor is when someone in my group therapy will talk about an effect of their abuse and a strategy they've used to overcome or work through it.

For example, one survivor told me, "I hate stinky cigar smell. It reminds me of my abuser. Then I realized that there's probably a lot of people out there who were never abused as children who happen to hate that smell too. Then I realized I am not alone with this and that helped to lesson the fear, anger and disgust I feel whenever I smell stinky cigar smoke."

#466758 - 06/18/14 08:42 PM Re: Suggestion for new Discussion Board Question [Re: eltoro65]
I Want 2 Thrive Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida, U.S.A
Taste, sight and smell are HUGE triggers for PTSD symptoms related to past traumas. Sensory experiences are the most primal way our brains are wired to remember events both positive and negative.

For me cigarette smoke can bring me back to my CSA experience, just as strawberry syrup on a belgian waffle triggered a flashback to a shooting in Bosnia, and the taste of vinegar caused a flashback to unsuccessful CPR of a friend.

Sounds like a good idea for a thread...

-Izzy

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.