Newest Members
JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS
12466 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dm13 (39), Jaso (34), liliana888 (43), Raju (32)
Who's Online
1 registered (JW1230), 22 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12466 Members
74 Forums
64018 Topics
446774 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#465877 - 05/27/14 10:03 PM Eating Disorders Related To Trauma
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
Someone brought this to my attention tonight, a program in the Twin Cities area about eating disorders related to trauma: http://www.emilyprogram.com/

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#465882 - 05/28/14 12:01 AM Re: Eating Disorders Related To Trauma [Re: FormerTexan]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Yes...in many ways...

Stress from abuse leads to over stimulation of adrenal cortex. Then the resulting over supply of glucocorticoid hormones causes hunger and weight gain.

Puffer

#466495 - 06/11/14 06:07 PM Re: Eating Disorders Related To Trauma [Re: FormerTexan]
WriterKeith Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: southern California
Pufferfish,
I admire your retention of medical terms.

Regarding the topic, it's one that....as much as we discuss intimate issues here on MS.org....we ignore as if it doesn't exist in our group of survivors. We'll even mask it in conversations and threads.

Time for men to admit that the symptom of eating disorders exists among us, it is prevalent, and it should be discussed without US bearing shame for it.

#466515 - 06/11/14 10:59 PM Re: Eating Disorders Related To Trauma [Re: WriterKeith]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hormones are chemical messengers within the human body. We have a whole bunch of them for different purposes. Sex hormones are just one of them.

We have a couple of stress hormones. When guys get abused it results in a type of stress in their body. We all know this. The stress hormones are made in several places in the body, but one of the main places is the adrenal cortex. That is a small gland that sits on top of the kidney. The adrenal cortex secretes powerful hormones that give our body the ability to react to challenges or threats.

The hormones enter the blood stream and go to all parts of the body, carried in the blood. They have powerful effects on our body. You may have heard of the "fight or flight" hormone. That's what we're talking about. Another effect is to cause our body to increase the amount of fat we store. This is the fat we are talking about.

The fat tends to remain even after the stress is relieved. It often becomes a permanent resident, such as in a swollen belly. Simply dieting will not relieve this fat burden. Exercise helps a great deal. Usually loss of this weight involves some lifestyle changes.

Puffer

#466728 - 06/17/14 04:58 PM Re: Eating Disorders Related To Trauma [Re: pufferfish]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Garcinea cambogia

http://inthenewnews.com/health/todays-diet-tip-how-rachael-dropped-27-pounds/

Has anybody tried this out? Does it work? Are there any negatives?

Puffer

#468148 - 07/28/14 07:59 PM Re: Eating Disorders Related To Trauma [Re: pufferfish]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Here's a clip of Dr. Oz on Garcinea cambogia

http://stylesmax.com/healthandbeauty/?so...www.bravera.com

Pufferfish

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.