Newest Members
baltimura, YotaD55, giant251, Casey_SC, Xr2
12375 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
josacam (51), PhillyPa (39), sum1sun (39), time2heal (40)
Who's Online
4 registered (bluesky, finallyhere, thrive-n-survive, Damian1974), 20 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12375 Members
74 Forums
63593 Topics
444255 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#466197 - 06/04/14 08:15 PM Meditation
OCN Offline

Loc: Western Europe
He guys

thought it would be a good idea to share some topics on meditation here and make a central meditation topic. If there is enough participants, we could ask to make this a sticky post.

Wish you all the best and good luck on your journey with learning mediation. Give it some time, dont expect miracles of it. The truth is, the miracle actually is to let go of things, not holding on to them. So meditation is only a technique to show you the way smile

here are some of my topics on the subject of meditation, please add more topics if you have them and i'll add them to the list!

Links:
Good topic to start with for some motivation and insights i recently had

Tonglen - taking in others pain and suffering

Tonglen 2

New link:
Mindfullness meditations downloads

Edited by OCN (06/06/14 09:01 AM)

#466228 - 06/05/14 05:01 AM Re: Meditation [Re: OCN]
Jacob S Offline
MaleSurvivor

I find mindfulness meditation to be very helpful to me. I've found this site to have a good collection of sample non-religious meditations.

http://www.mindfulness-solution.com/DownloadMeditations.html
all the people he can trust.
Like the one who stands behind him
cheering him on
Estatic when he stands defiant,
wild with abandon when he's gone

just stay alive.
do whatever you need to.
you are worth it.

#466306 - 06/06/14 08:23 PM Re: Meditation [Re: OCN]
WriterKeith Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: southern California
A timely thread.

I returned to therapy about a year ago because a traumatic life event triggered my MS & PTSD symptoms. I have continued because I have some career goals I'd like to achieve and my symptoms were holding me back.

Through a turn of unpredictable events, I recently found a therapist who I view as more of a life coach. He has begun introducing me to the concept of meditation.

I had no idea there are so many definitions and perspectives on meditation. It's very interesting and very powerful.

All this time I thought it had to do with donning a bed sheet, shaving yer noggin', and posing on a rock at sunrise....or listening to a cassette tape of someone akin to Mr. Rogers telling me to "feel your body relax."

Man oh man, was I in the dark on this one.

Thanks for posting this thread. I'll certainly be following this one and looking forward to reading all the comments here.

Anyone else have experience with meditation?

#466308 - 06/06/14 08:30 PM Re: Meditation [Re: OCN]
WriterKeith Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: southern California
OCN, these are great.

Is the practice of meditation through breathing called "Tonglen," or are breathing exercises part of many styles of meditation?

Checked out the last link and the "About" page. I'm envious of Dr. Siegel's wild and woolly mustache and mop head! mad I should go meditate that negative thought away! crazy

#466335 - 06/07/14 01:33 PM Re: Meditation [Re: OCN]
newground Offline
Chatroom Moderator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: michigan
my only experiences with meditation are very limited and not so positive. silence is not something I am friendly with. in fact in the beginning it made therapy difficult because I felt I had to fill the void with ANYTHING. I just could not take the feeling of silence especially in that environment. At the WoR we did some meditation with a kind of movement and that was doable but then we sat for 10 or 15 minutes to meditate and I dissociated and went back to the scratching/digging at my arms. came back to raw spots from the scratching. I do find this thread interesting because I think that meditation would be good to help control the head noise but ... not there yet frown thanks for the post
Jeff

Edited by newground (06/07/14 01:35 PM)
Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. let me then tow to pieces, while still chasing thee, thou damned whale! Thus, I give up the spear!"
Herman Melville

#466410 - 06/09/14 04:58 PM Re: Meditation [Re: OCN]
txb Offline

Keith you are way more swag than that guy! Actually I got his book after Jacob posted the website. It seems pretty good but I seem to be lacking concentration for reading right now. I was interested in the urge surfing part, but I haven't got to that yet.

Mindfulness and meditation is something I really want to do. Kind of. Lots of people have said that it helped, and I've done DBT before, which had a lot about mindfulness. I just have this tiny issue with stuff that I perceive to be... weak I guess. Or not manly. But if something helps then it helps. I really should get over it.

Jeff, I understand what you mean. It wasn't something I liked any time I'd tried it before. I have made some progress tho. Anything where you had to focus on breathing would make me panic or hyperventilate, but lately I've managed to train myself out of it. Mindfulness is not about making your mind blank though, so maybe you could start there?

OCN, thanks for posting this topic.

#466472 - 06/11/14 01:56 AM Re: Meditation [Re: txb]
Jacob S Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: txb
Keith you are way more swag than that guy! Actually I got his book after Jacob posted the website. It seems pretty good but I seem to be lacking concentration for reading right now. I was interested in the urge surfing part, but I haven't got to that yet.

I haven't read the book . . . I'm a cheapskate so I just piece together the free stuff. =)

If you get around to it, let me know if its any good!
all the people he can trust.
Like the one who stands behind him
cheering him on
Estatic when he stands defiant,
wild with abandon when he's gone

just stay alive.
do whatever you need to.
you are worth it.

#466536 - 06/12/14 06:52 PM Re: Meditation [Re: WriterKeith]
OCN Offline

Originally Posted By: WriterKeith
A timely thread.

I returned to therapy about a year ago because a traumatic life event triggered my MS & PTSD symptoms. I have continued because I have some career goals I'd like to achieve and my symptoms were holding me back.

Through a turn of unpredictable events, I recently found a therapist who I view as more of a life coach. He has begun introducing me to the concept of meditation.

I had no idea there are so many definitions and perspectives on meditation. It's very interesting and very powerful.

I see meditation as a way to calm the mind. The real goal is not the meditation itself, but the calmness after the recognition is made that we are not our thoughts, you can really rest into while in the midst of the noise of the world. Then everyday life becomes meditation, just by practicing on a regular basis.

All this time I thought it had to do with donning a bed sheet, shaving yer noggin', and posing on a rock at sunrise....or listening to a cassette tape of someone akin to Mr. Rogers telling me to "feel your body relax."

Man oh man, was I in the dark on this one.

Thanks for posting this thread. I'll certainly be following this one and looking forward to reading all the comments here.

Anyone else have experience with meditation?

Ive noticed that it calms every bit of my life. It is almost overwhelming how calm i can become when i find the right concentration. Every good meditation session, whether it be a conscious decision to sit and do a practice or while being connected to every day life in my own unique human way.

Its there for us, if only were willing to practice more than once a week wink

Edited by OCN (06/12/14 06:54 PM)

#466537 - 06/12/14 06:53 PM Re: Meditation [Re: WriterKeith]
OCN Offline

OCN, these are great.

Is the practice of meditation through breathing called "Tonglen," or are breathing exercises part of many styles of meditation?

Checked out the last link and the "About" page. I'm envious of Dr. Siegel's wild and woolly mustache and mop head! mad I should go meditate that negative thought away! crazy

Tonglen is one of many meditation techniques around, but i posted it back then in a separate topic because i read about it. Dr Siegel i'm not familiar with, it's also not my post btw lol.. i'll take a look then...

Edited by OCN (06/12/14 06:54 PM)

#466538 - 06/12/14 06:57 PM Re: Meditation [Re: newground]
OCN Offline

Originally Posted By: newground
my only experiences with meditation are very limited and not so positive. silence is not something I am friendly with. in fact in the beginning it made therapy difficult because I felt I had to fill the void with ANYTHING. I just could not take the feeling of silence especially in that environment. At the WoR we did some meditation with a kind of movement and that was doable but then we sat for 10 or 15 minutes to meditate and I dissociated and went back to the scratching/digging at my arms. came back to raw spots from the scratching. I do find this thread interesting because I think that meditation would be good to help control the head noise but ... not there yet frown thanks for the post
Jeff

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Jeff! I am wondering if you could describe to me some more about the void you mention. What was the reason it freaked you out so bad? I've had a similar experience once when i was high on mushrooms with the void.

Too bad it has this negative connotation to it for you, since i think that there are plenty of methods which will suite you. If you want to, just search for a meeting place nearby and join in for a practice or study group. It might be something contradictionairy to what you think it will be. In my case, it sure is smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.