Newest Members
Jay1159, jon-jon, want more, pgh15217, Barracuda312
12343 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Bob_dup1 (54), Carlos Gerardo (41), FERALFOO (48), Jolly Fisherman (59), Karl (62), MikeInFlorida (52), mizphit09 (37), oktobe_me (53), Yaoichan (22)
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 24 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12343 Members
74 Forums
63439 Topics
443465 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#465943 - 05/28/14 10:59 PM CA To Extend Reporting Time For CSA Victims
Jude Offline

Loc: New England
SACRAMENTO (AP) — California lawmakers have approved legislation that would extend the amount of time victims of childhood sexual abuse have to come forward.

SB926 by Sen. Jim Beall would give victims until age 40 to report alleged abuse they suffered as a child. The current statute of limitations is age 28.

Beall, a Democrat from San Jose, says the current law favors abusers who can simply “wait out the clock” to avoid being prosecuted. He says many child sexual assault victims suppress the memories and do not recall their abuse until years later.

The bill passed the Assembly on a 33-0 vote Tuesday and now heads to the Senate.
But he never betrays what he thinks.
Can you see the real me, doctor?.
The Who

#465973 - 05/29/14 05:08 PM Re: CA To Extend Reporting Time For CSA Victims [Re: Jude]
Canuck Offline

Loc: CA, United States
I'm astonished that it passed 33-0 in the Senate! Great news! Perhaps the Catholic lobby has not so much a stranglehold as once was.

Note: Even though the article says that the limitations is "28" it's actually UP until age 28. The day you turn 28 is the day your report is no longer any good for criminal charge purposes. (Also to clarify -- I looked at the legislation and it is for CRIMINAL, not Civil filings -- statute of limitations for civil suits in CA can extend for longer, but are more convoluted in how the plaintiff must prove that the suit is allowable in statute.)

Edited by Canuck (05/29/14 05:22 PM)

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.