Newest Members
SiegmundNYC, TheGreatWhat, MyNameIsPaul, serenity38, vivo
12486 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Can-tex (45), cbchorn (41)
Who's Online
3 registered (aniceguy, woodenshoes, 1 invisible), 15 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12486 Members
74 Forums
64149 Topics
447591 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#465916 - 05/28/14 04:16 PM Double Standards
concerned_husky Offline
MaleSurvivor

Just a link, guys. It's slightly off-topic (about domestic violence), but it sends a very important message. Double standards. I felt it was more appropriate to post here than on the Off-Topic forum.

http://9gag.tv/p/aVYL7p/what-happens-whe...olence?ref=fbl9

My Story

#465920 - 05/28/14 05:37 PM Re: Double Standards [Re: concerned_husky]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

That was powerful. No one responded or reacted when the woman was attacking the man and he was trying to walk away.

#465923 - 05/28/14 06:13 PM Re: Double Standards [Re: concerned_husky]
coming2terms Offline

Haven't you heard? Its OK to hit boys. At least that's what my ex and society in general think. The same societal overview applies to females not being abusers/violent. Sad.

#465967 - 05/29/14 01:27 PM Re: Double Standards [Re: concerned_husky]
gaatt Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks Concerned,

I found my own reaction intriguing. I was somewhat happy to see a woman expressing her anger openly and frightened when the man was expressing his. At the same time, I struggled to see the man's fear and had no trouble seeing the woman's.

I'm much more used to a woman's anger going underground and being expressed in much more subtle (and far more destructive to me) ways. Same goes for a man's fear. Perhaps I would have been happier if he had expressed it more clearly (or bystanders had responded to it more strongly).

I agree violence is violence. It would have been nice to see some effort to help the woman take more responsibility for her anger (without repressing it) and some effort to comfort the man (so that he can start healing his fear). Obviously homophobia (and the attitude that men can take any level of abuse) is far stronger amongst men than amongst women. I would also like to be around people who are putting energy into understanding what love and healing are (particularly around male-female intimate relations) and making practical efforts to support it as much as possible in their lives. I don't experience that so much.

Thanks for posting the link.

Cheers,

"Arnold"

My Story: http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=468661#Post468661

#466594 - 06/13/14 10:54 PM Re: Double Standards [Re: concerned_husky]
Vadrian Offline

Loc: Pacific
It is a disgusting double standard; men make up roughly 50% of the victims of domestic violence, and when people make up pathetic "feminist" excuses and defenses of illegal domestic violence and other forms of abuse that women have committed, it hurts all of us.

Edited by Vadrian (06/13/14 10:55 PM)

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.