Newest Members
SiegmundNYC, TheGreatWhat, MyNameIsPaul, serenity38, vivo
12486 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
era1 (31), GregoryP (50), GregoryParcell (50), junior (54), KDW78 (36), nansogre (48)
Who's Online
3 registered (oriolesguy, dew, 1 invisible), 20 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12486 Members
74 Forums
64148 Topics
447583 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#79798 - 09/29/06 05:23 AM Why Poetry
newo Offline

Loc: CA, USA
I am a survivor of sexual abuse as a child...as many others are on this site.

I'm wondering...what is the link between this trauma and the urge to write creativly...especilly poetry?

Any ideas?

#79799 - 09/29/06 05:55 AM Re: Why Poetry
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Newo,

I think poetry is a useful vehicle because so often what we want to express is emotion. We're looking for high-impact words and phrases to express the intensity of what we feel.

Poetry also lends itself to the expression of a series of ideas not connected as continuous prose, and often that's exactly how we're thinking. We have a lot of thoughts and feelings and just need to let them out.

Some guys, however, are clearly using their poems as a tool for figuring out how they feel. I know I once wrote one in which, as I went from one line to the next, I was actually struggling to visualize a dream I had had on several occasions. Writing a poem helped me to define that dream in terms of images and still retain the emotional power of the dream experience itself.

Just some thoughts - your question's a really good one!

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#79800 - 10/02/06 05:48 AM Re: Why Poetry
newo Offline

I have so many poetic ideas now...and not enough time to work on them. It's become a major hobby of mine...and part of my devotional relationship with God and my love relationship with my wife.

Larry...I believe your right.

Free verse has the ability to express the disconnected ness, but I find myself writing in meter and rhyme...perhaps to make things orderly and "work out" at the end.

The expression of emotion is definantly key...and also the processing of ideas, memories, dreams, reflections etc.

I have been "driven" to write poetry for a decade or more...and was trying to figure more the connection.

#79801 - 10/02/06 05:51 PM Re: Why Poetry
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Newo,

Follow your heart and just write whatever way fits the way you feel at that moment. Writing poetry is an act of freedom, after all.

I'd like to pick up on something you say in your post:

Quote:
I have so many poetic ideas now...and not enough time to work on them. It's become a major hobby of mine...and part of my devotional relationship with God and my love relationship with my wife.
Do you see what you just said? You say you don't have time for something that, for you, is in fact important to your spiritual and marital life.

What you mean, of course, is that it's so darn hard to MAKE time for ourselves and the things that are important to our own well-being. But go ahead and take that time. Look at your schedule and put a fence around a certain amount of time that's just for YOU each week.

The sad truth, as I learned a few years ago, is that if we WAIT for the time to just appear, we will wait all our lives.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#79802 - 10/03/06 01:51 PM Re: Why Poetry
Derdlecar Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ogden Utah, USA
Newo, Larry,

To me poetry is like music. They both put emotion to the thought in the words. Take the thought make it a poem then take the poem and put a tune and beat to it and you have a very powerful way of expressing the feeling buried deep within the soul.

Love ya

Darrel

#79803 - 10/03/06 02:28 PM Re: Why Poetry
newo Offline

Larry,

I do make time in my week for poetry work.

I have two notebooks full of ideas and partial poems and several other notebooks full of completed projects, some that I share with others and some that I keep to myself.

Thanks for the encouragement to keep at it.
I have accepted the fact that I will never be "done" with all my poems. There will be many unfinished "idea scraps" and "Poem starts" when my life is over.

Love

OKW

#465113 - 05/08/14 07:56 PM Re: Why Poetry [Re: newo]
victor-victim Offline

Loc: O Kanada
i must write, or the screams of my dreams will rip my lips from my face.
the burden of words unheard, must be released into outer space.

War
Love
Poetry

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.