Newest Members
Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty, Pytbull, manipulated, donmarks
12383 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Beluga (64), Isreal101 (65), Phil Sober (41), phil1973 (41), Teddy Bear (63)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 27 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12383 Members
74 Forums
63646 Topics
444502 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#464594 - 04/26/14 05:57 AM Can't sleep in my bed b/c nightmares
cant_remember Offline
MaleSurvivor

I sleep on my couch in a sleeping bag, sometimes with the TV on, instead of in my nice comfortable bed in the other room...

Because when I try to sleep in my bed, I have nightmares. Smoking pot helps, but apparently it's not enough.

It's 5:00 AM and I'm wide awake. Usually the nightmare is something simple: getting attacked by bats, or UFO's, or fish with teeth, whatever. But tonight I got a whole horror movie with a narrative. Can't get it out of my head.

The dream: A young woman that I knew (and she has a small child) was researching something about the farmhouse where she lived, and discovered something about a boy that had died there, and as she was learning about it, her house burned down but not in a normal way. All her upstairs windows burned out in perfect ovals so they looked like empty eye sockets, and then the dead boy appeared and had the same burned-out empty eye sockets. Scary.

I feel like an idiot for being afraid of this. But I'm wide awake because of it, and I'm afraid of my bed.

The dead boy with the burned out eyes -- one doesn't need to be a genius to see him as my abused self who has the power to burn down houses from beyond the grave.

Ugh. I want to feel like I"m making progress in life, but being afraid of my own bed because of what my mind produces when I'm asleep there? That doesn't make me feel very confident about my ability to deal with this.

Cant

#464597 - 04/26/14 11:39 AM Re: Can't sleep in my bed b/c nightmares [Re: cant_remember]
cant_remember Offline
MaleSurvivor

After thinking about this all morning, my interpretation of this dream:

The house that burned down was a symbol of the relationship that I had that recently ended. That's why it belonged to a woman with a child. It, the relationship-house, was burned down by the ghost of a dead boy, or my abused self.

A priest that I talk to has suggested to me that I sabotaged the relationship by disclosing my abuse too early to the woman I was seeing, which I must admit is possible.

So this dream is me telling myself that my abuse (or the disclosure of it) burned down the relationship and its potential (represented by the living child of the woman in the dream).

So basically, I'm fucked.

Cant

#464602 - 04/26/14 01:33 PM Re: Can't sleep in my bed b/c nightmares [Re: cant_remember]
don64 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: St. Croix, USVI
Hi Cant,

For me, this type of dream isn't about me being fucked, but is my subconscious processing all my experiences so I am able to learn from them. It seems for me unrealistic to expect myself to function well if I'm pretty sick. I'm pretty sick, and the dreams I have are always tools available to me to help myself understand me in my own process. They are a gift to me. It did take me some time to make friends with all my dreams and come to understand they are an important ally.

Don
Divine Law is not judgment or denial of self truths. Divine Law is honoring harmony that comes from a peaceful mind, an open heart, a true tongue, a light step, a forgiving nature, and a love of all living creatures. Jamie Sams & David Carson, Medicine Cards

#464604 - 04/26/14 02:15 PM Re: Can't sleep in my bed b/c nightmares [Re: cant_remember]
cant_remember Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks, Don.

Cant

#464605 - 04/26/14 03:36 PM Re: Can't sleep in my bed b/c nightmares [Re: cant_remember]
pufferfish Online   embarrased
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Cant_remember and Don

Cant: Your dream is reminiscent of the movie Jeepers Creepers. I watched that many months ago and I'm convinced I should NEVER watch that again.

I'm having sleep (dream) problems also. I usually have to sleep several hours in the afternoon to make up for not sleeping during the night. During that afternoon time I sleep best if I'm in a semi-reclining position and have classical music playing. When I awaken I feel great and very rested. I never feel that great when I awaken in the morning. Another part of me (an alter) has remained awake through the afternoon music and remembers what was heard. In fact he has even memorized some of the music. Yes, the two can and do communicate with each other.

Since we've talked last I've realized that I was worked on by the CIA. I know that they know how to use vibrations to set up DID alters. (I can give the reference). So I'm concerned that the EEG brain patterns my sleep doc has looked at were possibly some "sick" patterns set up in DID. I'm not quite sure of the implications. Music truly consists of organized vibrations and much more. If anybody understands this please let me know.

Pufferfish

#464607 - 04/26/14 03:59 PM Re: Can't sleep in my bed b/c nightmares [Re: pufferfish]
I Want 2 Thrive Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida, U.S.A
Originally Posted By: pufferfish
Your dream is reminiscent of the movie Jeepers Creepers

I was thinking the same here PF. Jeepers Creepers was just shot down the road from here.

Cant_remember, I had a run of 4 days of nightmares last month, triggered by a dead AC and the anniversary of my first attack. Heat is often one of my strongest triggers. (along with children crying or laughing, also the smells of old cigarettes, leather, vinyl) more triggers than Roy Rogers.

I have found I get my best sleep when I drop off to ANY Star Trek franchise marathon. Before my wife entered my life, I too would sleep on the couch.

"There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind" C.S. Lewis
My Story: Short / Long version. *TRIGGERS*

#464609 - 04/26/14 05:29 PM Re: Can't sleep in my bed b/c nightmares [Re: cant_remember]
Frustrated Offline

Jeepers creepers is a good movie. Nightmares are part of my life as well I have tried a lot of diff things to stop them but no such luck.the content of my nightmares are usually sexuall in nature. Instead of fighting them I just deal with them. The only hope to offer is that they do come and go. There are stretches when I actually sleep. I don't think they will ever be gone forever

James

#464613 - 04/26/14 07:24 PM Re: Can't sleep in my bed b/c nightmares [Re: cant_remember]
WriterKeith Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: southern California
Cant,
You're not nuts. Many of us battle this symptom. I haven't slept in my nice bed for years. I got tired of sleep deprivation and started trying different things like a pallet on the floor or living room chairs pushed together to simulate a cot. I've tried returning to my bed, but I can't breathe and I lie awake to stand guard over myself.

My brain seems hardwired to anticipate another physical assault by my brother or a sexual assault by my father. My brother used to routinely hold a pillow over my face until I fainted from lack of oxygen. I believe he was assaulted by my father. He was a strange child and he is an even stranger adult.

When I stopped over-analyzing and fighting my thoughts on it, I slowly transitioned into sleeping in a locked guest room on a fold-out bed.

Maybe something here can spark ideas for you?

#464614 - 04/26/14 07:39 PM Re: Can't sleep in my bed b/c nightmares [Re: cant_remember]
bey Offline

Loc: canada
I have very graphic sexual dreams most night. I wouldn't say they are "nightmares" but they are not pleasant and leave me disturbed, but not afraid. I also find pot helps a bit to dull the dreams.

I find sleeping alone in bed is the worst situation for these dreams, I fall into a deep sleep and can't wake myself. I also sleep on the couch because I am more uncomfortable, don't sleep as deeply and can wake up easier. when I sleep in bed with my husband he wakes me up if I sound distressed or whatever.
If I'm alone, I'm almost always on the couch.

I try to think of dreams as processing time for my brain, especially the bits of me I don't have great access to. That doesn't make things feel any better at 2am but sometimes it makes me feel less crazy.

Hope you get some good, safe, peaceful sleep soon (everyone)

#464623 - 04/26/14 09:47 PM Re: Can't sleep in my bed b/c nightmares [Re: bey]
pufferfish Online   embarrased
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
It looks as though I'm going to have to obtain a recliner chair to sleep in. I have the problem others do with bed. The medical community is not able to help.

Puffer

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.