Newest Members
Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms
12369 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aleja (40), bc22 (47), DavidMI (40), Forrest_Gump (39), Jay1946 (68), Malc4 (29), mpm01 (49), widpaulman (43)
Who's Online
3 registered (Bluedogone, 2 invisible), 14 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12369 Members
74 Forums
63575 Topics
444168 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#464427 - 04/22/14 07:03 PM Child Abuse affects 1 in 3 Adults
ShortedDiode Offline

Loc: Hamilton, ON Canada
This research was done with respect to all genders and all forms of child abuse so it isnt limited to covering male survivors only which is why the ratio is so high, but with numbers like this, child abuse in general would be considered a massive epidemic ifmitmwas a disease instead. Link below:

Child Abuse Affects 1 in 3 Adults

#464468 - 04/23/14 01:47 PM Re: Child Abuse affects 1 in 3 Adults [Re: ShortedDiode]
JayBro Offline

Loc: Germany
I absolutely agree with you! I think prevention measures are needed in conjunction for postvention measures for youth and adults who have survived abuse.

#464551 - 04/25/14 10:11 AM Re: Child Abuse affects 1 in 3 Adults [Re: ShortedDiode]
txb Offline

This is from the article: Sexual abuse was classified as experiencing attempts or being forced into unwanted sexual activity by being threatened, held down or hurt in some way, or sexually touched, meaning unwanted touching or grabbing, kissing or fondling against the respondentís will, one or more times.

Is it just me? Is this really badly worded or does it really say that it only counts if force was involved? Like it would be totally ok if no force was involved or the victim was willing? I think people really do picture this when they think of abuse. Like a bad guy comes along and tries to drag an unwilling child off the street into his car.

Several people have asked me why I didnít scream for help. It really sucks to be asked that. I wish people could understand that itís not always like they imagine. So called 'nice' people can abuse children and sometimes very little force is involved.

#465485 - 05/18/14 11:54 PM Re: Child Abuse affects 1 in 3 Adults [Re: ShortedDiode]
JayBro Offline

Loc: Germany
Ditto txb! I was thinking that too because the nature of my sexual abuse is not included in that definition.

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.